What detector is the best performer in old iron infested home sites?

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE With a plethora of coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK here is the deal, I hunt only pre-1900 cellar holes with my beloved Ace 250 and full complement of coils. All of my sites have iron thick areas that have good potential for coins but I am not finding any in iron not even with my sniper coil. Is there a detector that blows the ace out of the water in these areas that would make my old sites new again? I will keep my ace even if I upgrade. (PS I don't have time to dig all the iron as I am a weekend warrior who has time for only short hunts. AKA Cherry picker). Thanks in advance, RL

Digger USA

Jul 9, 2008
Midwest
Detector(s) used
X-Terras, Advantage, Etrac, XLPro and usually a few others
There are quite a few detectors on the market that will do a better job in iron than your Ace 250. Tesoro makes some fairly inexpensive "non-metered" detectors in their ED-120 Umax series, that are decent discriminators in iron. However, if you want the BEST, I'd look at the Minelab Etrac with a small aftermarket DD coil. Either Sun Ray or DeTech. Second place would go to the X-Terra 70 or 705 with the 6-inch DD coil. The X-Terra 18.75 freq coils are not as good at discriminating iron as the lower freqs. But until a 3 kHz small DD is brought to the market, the higher freq does better than most other makes and models. JMHO HH Randy

OP
OP
relic lover

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The x-terra 70 was my first thought as the minimum for an upgrade to make it worth switching units. Are the $1000+ units twice as good in iron as the x'70/705?

lostlake88

Dec 2, 2007
The Queen City
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
I would have to say a tesoro. I had the Vaquero that knocked out all iron, but unfortunately it lost a significant amount of depth. I could still get 4" with it in heavy iron. I have the Explorer ll and I would have to say in super heavy iron I would prefer the tesoro.

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
The only machine that picks through iron better than a Tesoro is an old Compass or A.H. Pro, but the A.H. Pro was a TR, pretty old compared to these days.

The Compass CoinScanner Pro is the absolute best ever made for seeing through iron scrap, nails, steel wire, etc. I know where a Compass Scanner Jr is for sale for $300 or so. It is nearly equal to the CoinScanner Pro but has no ID meter.

LL

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I know what you mean. I've only been detecting for a little over 3 months with the 250. One thing that annoys me is how it will give you a false high tone when it catches the edge of an iron object. That annoys the heck out of me. One thing I have been doing in trashy areas is going over the ground with the pinpointer button held in. At least I "see" where everything is and how close together they are. Then I'll let go of the pinpointer and sweep over the targets the pinpointer gave me. You just need to detune the pinpointer to get a narrow field so it will separate the objects. I also noticed the pinpointer will also see deeper (or smaller) objects that won't ring during a normal sweeping pattern. I'm just starting to experiment with this method of detecing with the 250 in trashy areas. I'm also feeling the need for an upgraded detector.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The detector you need is the XP Goldmaxx Power, this will eat the iron, the Iron volume can be turned up to any level giving a deep buzz, but leaving the sweet two tone signals of a coin, it is also has the fastest recovery of any metal detector on the market, which is what you need on a heavy iron infested site. I also think the Tesoro Lobo Super Traq would have good results, as this also has a high operating frequency, coupled with a small search head it should do the trick.

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
I can only comment on what I've used. And even then I'm not sure about best!

I have a Fisher F70 & there's so many combinations of threshold & sensitivity, DEfault & SLow modes (DEfault for best separation, SLow for best depth). There are large & small concentric & DD coils, but haven't used the smaller coils. I don't get much iron unless threshold &/or senstivity are turned up too high. The 11" DD has great side to side separation (I reject everything below zinc as this detector can't tell difference between modern tab & nickel here).

Also use a Minelab X-Terra 70. I don't have small coils but am pleased & amazed that I can detect coins with good ID very close to iron with the stock coil which is a 9" round 7.5 kHz concentric. And this is with iron, foil, pulltabs, & hot rocks rejected! Using target ID stabilizer on & ground tracking on.

I'm not the best authority on iron as I've not tried these detectors yet on any sites that had more than a farm on them pre-1963. HH, George (MN)

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Silver Searcher said:
The detector you need is the XP Goldmaxx Power, this will eat the iron, the Iron volume can be turned up to any level giving a deep buzz, but leaving the sweet two tone signals of a coin, it is also has the fastest recovery of any metal detector on the market, which is what you need on a heavy iron infested site. I also think the Tesoro Lobo Super Traq would have good results, as this also has a high operating frequency, coupled with a small search head it should do the trick.
From what I hear this is correct. :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
relic lover

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Swartzie said:
I know what you mean. I've only been detecting for a little over 3 months with the 250. One thing that annoys me is how it will give you a false high tone when it catches the edge of an iron object. That annoys the heck out of me. One thing I have been doing in trashy areas is going over the ground with the pinpointer button held in. At least I "see" where everything is and how close together they are. Then I'll let go of the pinpointer and sweep over the targets the pinpointer gave me. You just need to detune the pinpointer to get a narrow field so it will separate the objects. I also noticed the pinpointer will also see deeper (or smaller) objects that won't ring during a normal sweeping pattern. I'm just starting to experiment with this method of detecing with the 250 in trashy areas. I'm also feeling the need for an upgraded detector.
Wow thanks what a great technique! This works especially well with the sniper coil plus lowering my disc. settings to jewelery mode from coin mode has made the difference my old sites are producing copper again! Check out the finds from the nail gardens. (the LC is 1813 and cleaned up to reveal full liberty!)

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 474
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    84.6 KB · Views: 500
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    93.9 KB · Views: 487
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    99.1 KB · Views: 493
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    103.8 KB · Views: 476
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    104.6 KB · Views: 476
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    84.7 KB · Views: 473
  • 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 437
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    84.6 KB · Views: 497
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    93.9 KB · Views: 454
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    99.1 KB · Views: 457
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    103.8 KB · Views: 444
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    104.6 KB · Views: 465
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    84.7 KB · Views: 460
OP
OP
relic lover

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I guess the long and the short of it is I have not mastered the ace yet so why upgrade to a more complex unit yet.

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Look like it is working pretty good to me.

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
Here's my 2 cents. I use a Minelab Explorer XS w/11" DD Pro Coil. I set my sounds to ferrous, my sensitivity to about 28, gain to an 8, variability max, I am using Grey Ghost NDT headphones. When set up like this Iron will have low sounds and coins and other semi-precious metals will have their respective normal sounds. This is really helpful when hunting park areas that are littered with rusted bottle caps, nails, cans, etc etc. I forgot to mention, I also hunt in iron mask -16........NGE

OP
OP
relic lover

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
extractor said:
Look like it is working pretty good to me.
Yes I am doing much better now that I am not over discriminating

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
nowgittineverything said:
Here's my 2 cents. I use a Minelab Explorer XS w/11" DD Pro Coil. I set my sounds to ferrous, my sensitivity to about 28, gain to an 8, variability max, I am using Grey Ghost NDT headphones. When set up like this Iron will have low sounds and coins and other semi-precious metals will have their respective normal sounds. This is really helpful when hunting park areas that are littered with rusted bottle caps, nails, cans, etc etc. I forgot to mention, I also hunt in iron mask -16........NGE
A tip.. Try to add Audio 3. I think the old XS has that to? :)
It will be like detecting with the threshhold but with disc.
Low increase in pitch= iron
High increase in pitch= none ferrous.

:) You will need to go VERY SLOW using that method.

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Eu, I have tried pitch at #2, and that is pretty wild, and I guess #3 would be really wacky if moving more than a snail's pace, I use #1 mostly, but will try #2...........NGE

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The higher the number the shorter the sound they make, at least thats the way on my Expl II.
#3 is about perfect for me. :)

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Eu, On the original Explorer XS which is what I use, it is the opposite. Sorta like turning your automatic ground balance off. I have the first generation XS, it still has the 1/8th. inch headphone jack........NGE

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
nowgittineverything said:
Eu, On the original Explorer XS which is what I use, it is the opposite. Sorta like turning your automatic ground balance off. I have the first generation XS, it still has the 1/8th. inch headphone jack........NGE

I see, then it would indeed be 1. :)

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, apparently they did improve the II a little more than we thought :laughing9:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread