Ace 250 gone crazy

CRAZY-TEXICAN

Jun 15, 2009
Carrollton Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Quattro MP , Minelab Musketeer modified , Tesoro Bandido II micromax , Garrett Groundhog , D-Tex Koin King BFO
I got me a second ACE 250 and worked great for about an hour , i went out to the front yard today and as i was swinging the coil it started acting like there was all kinds of junk jumping trough all the ID sections and beeping like crazy, i lowered the sensitivity level to 1 and i even went back to the back yard where i was detecting earlier in the day and still no change, sometimes it will not turn on and will only give me a short beep but nothing on the LCD .. after pressing the power button about 6 times it came back on, the battery meter was full and nothing had changed , still acting crazy.. what are the low battery symptoms ?? the battery meter shows that is in good status , is it possible that the batteries are low???

Thank you in davance for any opinions ..

A.

tulsa

Oct 29, 2008
tulsa
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Sounds like it's time to start with the most obvious and work backwards for a solution. Some suggestions:
1) Try another set of batteries. Don't mix battery types (alkaline/heavy duty) Be certain they are installed correctly.
2) Are you using a coil cover? If so, remove it and be certain no junk has gotten caught up in it.
3) Is the cable flopping around loose? It should be secured snugly around the shaft so no freeplay. Also inspect the cable to be sure no damage to it.
4) Is the cable connector that connects to the housing attached correctly and snugly? Remove and reinstall.
5) As you mentioned, lower sensitivity to about four bars and test again.
6) Install the coil from your working 250 on the problem 250 - does it work correctly on this 250? Try the coil from the bad unit on your working unit. Did the problem follow the coil to the working 250? If so you may have a bad coil. Contact Garrett for replacement. Their customer Service is the best!
7) Try the reset on the problem 250 - press and hold the power button 5-10 seconds until the detector beeps. This will return it to factory settings.
8) If these efforts don't work contact Garrett and they will make it right. Toll-free 800-527-4011

Hope this helps...

OP
OP
CRAZY-TEXICAN

CRAZY-TEXICAN

Jun 15, 2009
Carrollton Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Quattro MP , Minelab Musketeer modified , Tesoro Bandido II micromax , Garrett Groundhog , D-Tex Koin King BFO
tulsa said:
Sounds like it's time to start with the most obvious and work backwards for a solution. Some suggestions:
1) Try another set of batteries. Don't mix battery types (alkaline/heavy duty) Be certain they are installed correctly.
2) Are you using a coil cover? If so, remove it and be certain no junk has gotten caught up in it.
3) Is the cable flopping around loose? It should be secured snugly around the shaft so no freeplay. Also inspect the cable to be sure no damage to it.
4) Is the cable connector that connects to the housing attached correctly and snugly? Remove and reinstall.
5) As you mentioned, lower sensitivity to about four bars and test again.
6) Install the coil from your working 250 on the problem 250 - does it work correctly on this 250? Try the coil from the bad unit on your working unit. Did the problem follow the coil to the working 250? If so you may have a bad coil. Contact Garrett for replacement. Their customer Service is the best!
7) Try the reset on the problem 250 - press and hold the power button 5-10 seconds until the detector beeps. This will return it to factory settings.
8) If these efforts don't work contact Garrett and they will make it right. Toll-free 800-527-4011

Hope this helps...

I am using a cover , I found that even when i swing my right hand near the coil it will beep, i dont think i have metal in it :laughing9: .. Thank you for the suggestions, i will try them and will post the results later..

Thank you ..

A.

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
don't know if this will help but I have found that if I am nere an underground power cables , light poles etc my 250 goes all jumpy an screetchin until I'm away from the area.

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Try a factory reset, press and hold the power button 5-10 seconds until the detector beeps.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread