Ace 250 settings questions.....

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
indain head cent often comes in under the zinc 1 "cent" notch --- pre 83 "copper" cents often come in under the dime slot since a real copper cent and a clad (copper center) dime seem very alike to the 250 at a bit of depth. :wink: :icon_thumright:

mick56

Bronze Member
Jun 2, 2007
Southern Wisconsin
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATPro
If I am in a pretty clean area, I will use All Metal mode and notch out iron. I would not notch out zincs because I have found several silver rings that read as zincolns.

golden buddha

Sep 11, 2006
X-Terra70_TreasureHunter said:
Yep those are the 3 videos i uploaded into my MediaFire folder,
that john did on the Ace 250 .....John is a friend of mine + he is
a electronical engineer.

Do you have a link for the other 2 videos?

UNCLENICK

Dec 8, 2009
NorCal Foothills
I live in northern california, moderate to heavy minerals. I usually...Usually can nail well over 6-7inches. Sometimes the machine will tell you 4+ inches, then end up digging another 3-4inches. I dont know why it wouldnt just say 8+ but whatever. Most of the time I'd say 89-94%[8-9]times out of 10 anything deeper than 5-6inches is, what the machine says it is. Iron, or high or low [nickel] conductors. that is with stock coil. never ever had a problem pinpointing. I dont know how people could have that problem with it. It is very simple. It is in the center of the coil. I'm going to purchase the 9/12 and I heard and it sounds realistic to get atleast another inch out in depth. So all in all it is a great detector. Now if it had autoground bal, I would never consider looking at another detector. But, I actually am doing pretty damn well with it. I found a 42 merc about 6inch down. Thats not bad at all. Gold plated pinky ring on me, ring about 7inch down. Also consider where Im at, the soil has lots of minerals. If I can get things with it there is no reason why anyone couldnt!!!H H

Nick

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When someone says they're not getting deep coins, it's usually because they're not overlapping their swings. If you're serious about DEEP coins, slow down and move the coil forward SLIGHTLY on each swing. Remember, you're "painting" the deep level with a detection area of about one half inch in diameter. If you move the coil forward for about half the diameter of the coil, you've just skipped a wide strip of soil, at the DEEP level that might have all kinds of goodies. This principle is one of the main reasons an area in never "hunted out". Most hobbyists move too fast through an area. I had a friend in OK that said he moved fast because he was more interested in QUANTITY than quality. That thinking is the reason we "slow pokes" find the old coins and jewelry.

puffpuffpass

Greenie
Jun 8, 2010
Upstate NY
Great input i,m new also , and just bought a 250 if it ever stops raining i,d like to give it a go
haaaaa,,,,alot of good reading thanks to everyone....PPP

B

Bev

I have an Ace 150 then got a good deal on an Ace 250 which is the one I use most and I still have the stock coil and still using the Cen-Tech pinpointer till I can get the Pro-pointer.
In regards to the 250: Is this a rookie thing? I tend to run on "all metal" because I'm afraid of missing something. In park-like ground I set it at 3 bars, sometimes 4. I get frustrated when I get a good tone, dig down about 4 inches to find a piece of tin foil about half the size of my pinky nail. I've even dug down 4 or 5 inches to find something that looks like the tip off an old square nail.
What am I asking? Heck if I know. I guess I'm saying I don't want to recover microscopic pieces of a juicy fruit wrapper but don't want to go to just 2 bars in case I might miss something incredible! I'd really like to set the "custom" mode that will help me zero in on coins and jewelry and I'm not ready to be digging 10-12 inches down yet. The iron relic stuff is nice but not really what interests me at this point.
I've read the manual that came with it a few times about customizing and frankly it's confusing.

slowNsteady

Mar 26, 2010
Broken Arrow, OK
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter, Fisher 1220 1225 F2 F4, BH Land Star, Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Vaquero
If you use jewelry mode, you get foil. If you use coin mode, you can loose gold because it notches out some of the possible gold items. Use custom mode and remove the everything under a nickle with the eliminate button. It'll remember your settings when you turn it off. You can set the sensitivity wherever you like. The machine will respond to the smallest targets, so just get use to that. It's definately not a bad thing. It's a really good thing!

B

Bev

I had to laugh, I suppose it is a good thing and I really sat down and focused on settting my custom line. I'll try to put it to work after the rain tomorrow.
It's crazy to have a hand full of dirt and the pointer squawks. You get down to what seems like 8 grains of dirt, still squawking, down to it seems like the head of a pin!

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
relic lover said:
I now use relic mode on my old sites after finding a lot of missed indians reading as pulltaps or even lower.

Indians do read low. Pewter buttons as well. If you're on an old site it pays to dig any consistent signal above iron.
-Swartzie

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sometimes I get falsing when I hit a blade a grass with coil. Probably just need to back down on the sensitivity.

Then again it's been relegated to back up since I got an excal

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
slowNsteady said:
If you use jewelry mode, you get foil. If you use coin mode, you can loose gold because it notches out some of the possible gold items. Use custom mode and remove the everything under a nickle with the eliminate button. It'll remember your settings when you turn it off. You can set the sensitivity wherever you like. The machine will respond to the smallest targets, so just get use to that. It's definately not a bad thing. It's a really good thing!

Hey slowNsteady, I did what you're saying, more or less. My custom mode was highly discriminating, so I used a modified jewelry mode that mimic'd your settings. I think once I forgot to modify the jewelry setting and scored some gold. I posted a question in the Garrett board yesterday, and today I tested 3 gold items. All of them bounced into foil territory. Someone else piped in that his gold rings are sounding in foil too. This is a current thread on the Garrett board on treasurenet. For this reason - and I'm newly converted - I'd advise against disc'ing foil.

On "Detuning", John in the the video is doing it whether it's on purpose or not. Anyone with an Ace 250 can do this test:

Set a coin out, and swing your detector over it. It goes ding ding ding.
Now move your coil fully 6" away from the coin and hold the pinpoint button. As you approach the coin the volume and "metering" rise. Pay attention to where the tone starts, how loud it is, and how it changes over the distance until you are over the coin. Now move your coil away and release the pinpoint button.

Compare what you saw and heard in that test with this one:

With the pinpointer off, approach and stop near the target at a location where you were starting to hear the target in pinpoint mode before. Now, while the coil is not moving, but quite near the target, press and hold the pinpoint button. Notice that it is now silent in a location where it was starting to sound off a moment ago. Now approach the target, keeping the pinpoint button depressed. Notice how much more rapidly the signal rises and falls back to silence!

Try this several times in a row. You'll probably find a location where it never sounds off at all(try again), or (best, listen closely) where the target just barely whispers to you "Here i am". When you hear that whisper you'll know the notch at the center of the coil is right over the target.
Don't worry about getting the whisper. Just as good, and what you'd expect to hear most often, is the detector going from silence, to screaming at the top of it's lungs(with virtually no rise and fall whatsoever), back to silence again in a very short distance. If that distance is much bigger than the size of a coin, then it's likely your target is also. Don't let that stop you from digging them until you have lots of practice with this method.

Deeper targets don't behave quite as dramatically as shallow ones, but you can still get over them quite accurately.

With all that typed out, I still use the method in the video. It's quick and easy and plenty close enough for me. I was just trying to explain "detuning", and included a lab experiment for y'all that have this detector.

B

Bev

Thank you so much- I'll have to do that. It really sounds like it will help a lot! I appreciate your work in that reply and sharing that with me!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread