Compadre or Ace 150?

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
I absolutely love my ACE. I was thinking of upgrading and talked to someone who has the "upgrade" model and the ACE and she said to stick with the ACE!

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tesoro has a lifetime warranty and the Compadre will hit on jewelry much better. If you want an LCD display, go with the ACE 150. I don't know what all features it shows, but it does have a display. The Compadre is beep and dig.

OP
OP
Y

Yickityoptorus

Greenie
Aug 27, 2009
I've been down this road many times before (trying to figure out which is "best") in other hobbies. It never gets easier. Garretts seem to have the respect of most, but I've been looking in the Tesoro area and those guys are really true believers. Sounds like the Compadre is a very capable machine. I'm not a big bells and whistles guy, but the Compadre seems to take the "lack of"to an extreme. I dunno, its a toss up :dontknow:

OP
OP
Y

Yickityoptorus

Greenie
Aug 27, 2009
On a side note. I've read a few posts that ask the question, "why does Garrett even make the 150?". Now that I'm at this point I'm guessing that perhaps it is a direct competitor with the Compadre. They are priced almost exactly the same from several dealers.

OP
OP
Y

Yickityoptorus

Greenie
Aug 27, 2009
One more thing. This may be really dumb, but the Ace 150 just looks cool. I can't believe it but this is really having an impact on my decision.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you can swing it, I would go with te Ace 250. You will get your money back in no time. It's a great machine and my first too. Easy to learn, use, lightweight, accurate!

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
According to their own reports most detector rental agencies rent out.....

Compadres... than anything else.

Guess why. Yes, that's right, because not only do people have better success with the Compadres, they also hold up better with abuse than the Aces.

I've owned both an Ace 250 AND a Compadre which I used just yesterday, and between the two I'd rather hear the instantaneous high-pitched "beep" of the Compadre than the horribly annoying delayed "boing, boing, boing" of the Ace. The compadre does much better on salt/iron beaches and it pinpoints and finds tinier items than the Ace too. The Compadre works in any soil anywhere but the Aces really suck in high-iron soil. The Compadre can be used to hunt nuggets but the Aces don't quite cut it. The Ace 150 and 250 have identical circuitry but the Ace 250 has a wider increment adjustment available.

But I'd chose the Fisher 1236-x2 over either one of them. It goes deeper and with it's excellent iron blanking/noise supressing control it cancels iron junk better than either one of them.

LL

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Both are great detectors. The Compadre's coil is hard-wired. The Ace models can use accessory coils, both the sniper coil to get targets close to playground equipment/chain link fences, or the large 9" x 12" coil for extra depth and faster coverage for larger areas.

Trackerman

Jan 23, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field Pi/Whites Dfx/ Garrett At Pro/Garrett Ace 250/ Whites M6/ Detector Pro Pirate /Tesoro Sand Shark/
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV/ Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had both machines like the Ace a bit better .Made better finds with the Ace. Also you have id dont have to dig anoying pennys if you dont want with the Ace. Plus you can swap coils. The batterys are cheaper on the Ace. The Ace will find the goods so will the Compadre .Ace is good on jewlry and coins. You get more info and better battery life plus swapable coils for a bit more cheese. :headbang:

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
I've had a Compadre and Silver uMax. Neither were better than my Ace 250. The Ace doesn't have a slow recovery. The Ace will pick up tiny targets. This includes the 9x 12 coil. The Ace can be a beep dig machine. Just don't look at the display. The Ace has tone ID. Like John said you can change the coils on the Ace. I would save another $50 and buy the Ace 250. All you have to do is compare the features side by side and make your decision. Compadre has a fixed ground balance the same as the Aces. So neither will do well on salt beaches or highly mineralized ground. Why is the Ace 250 the best selling detector? It ain't all hype. It works.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread