GTA-1000 Is this a good machine?

Deese

Oct 24, 2008
Mebane,NC
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex,Vallon Gizmo,Deeptech Vista Smart,Nexus Coronado,AKA Sorex,Quest X10
I am shopping for a new machine,doing as much research as possible before I buy a new machine.I have ran across a few of the GTA-1000 machines used and cheap.I was thinking of picking one up to swing while I am deciding on the new machine.I am borrowing a friends machine when we go out and I dont like that very much.Just wanting a little background on the garrett,I have read some reviews online but have only found good reviews. My area is North Carolina red,and white clay with lots of iron on old homesites.Some hot rocks on one particular site as well.

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Yes! It's really hot on coins and you have the ability to choose which targets your GTI 1000 will either not give an audio signal, like pull tabs, nails or only give a signal like nickels, dimes etc.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a good detector that will find the stuff if you put your coil over it. Some of the newer machines can get confusing with all the knobs and menus to take away confidence if you worry if it is set correctly.

Good Luck,
Sandman

OP
OP
D

Deese

Oct 24, 2008
Mebane,NC
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex,Vallon Gizmo,Deeptech Vista Smart,Nexus Coronado,AKA Sorex,Quest X10
John-Edmonton said:
Yes! It's really hot on coins and you have the ability to choose which targets your GTI 1000 will either not give an audio signal, like pull tabs, nails or only give a signal like nickels, dimes etc.
You said GTI-1000 in your post is that the same or very similar to the GTA-1000? I'm sorry if that is obvious,I have never owned a Garrett machine

OP
OP
D

Deese

Oct 24, 2008
Mebane,NC
Detector(s) used
Sandman said:
This is a good detector that will find the stuff if you put your coil over it. Some of the newer machines can get confusing with all the knobs and menus to take away confidence if you worry if it is set correctly.

Good Luck,
Sandman
That is one reason it caught my eye Sandman,I dont like too much going on on the display.I intend for my new detector to have no meter at all.Looking at the sovereign and the c-scope cs-3mx,kinda like the cs1220r also,but that's a little different animal there.The GTA has alot of segments that can be accepted or rejected looks like to me.I think I read 17 segment somewhere.

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the gta 500 and it does not have as many features as the 1000 does but I think it to be a nice unit so far. Mine has the segments you can notch out too like the 1000 does. I talked to garrett the other day and asked them what the difference was between the older gta series and the newer gtax was and they told me that the only real difference was the fact that the gtax series takes the new style coil plug. Other than that it was basically the same machine. If it was a good enough deal I would take it in a heart beat. I just picked this gta 500 up a few weeks ago for 150 bucks and I have hunted with it one time..............I like it so far and the target ID seems to be fairly accurate too. Maybe this will help you a little, Tim

OP
OP
D

Deese

Oct 24, 2008
Mebane,NC
Detector(s) used
Well I came across a gti-1500 with the newer black coil on it on ebay for what seemed to be a fair price so I bought it. It should be here mid next week.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread