Any ideas on what area to search first

mcdpoor

Mar 14, 2009
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250
A good friend I work with has invited me to his ancestors home place that is on his property. I am taking my extra detectors along to try and get him hooked..He is a good guy and would make a good partner to detect with.. Back to the question. I only have a couple hours to invest in the first hunt.. This place was last lived in about 1950 and is overgrown and in bad shape.. I plan on looking for the original cellar and trash dump and the parking area...Any other ideas to hit quickly.. Should I go all metal or just look for the good stuff the first time out and use either coin or jewelry mode? I think I will let him use my ACE250 with the sniper coil and I will use my GTI2500 and stock coil.
Thanks
Mcdpoor

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would look around the back door first in coin mode only to get a feel for what might be there. Look for where clothes poles may have been set for drying laundry. Also under any large tree limbs with a nail on the bottom where a plumb bob might have hung to locate a cache. Any chicken coops?

OP
OP
mcdpoor

mcdpoor

Mar 14, 2009
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250
Just got back from the hunt and it was very interesting.. Original log cabin with many add ons.. Still had the outhouse and chicken coop etc.. Problem was so overgrown could not get into much good detecting.. But had fun and was able to teach the owners where to search and what to look for..
Found 2 pennies a shell hull,wagon hub wheel ring. Also had two possible cashe signals.. One was a tabacco tin(empty) and the other a zinc lid with remains of the jar buried... Alot of glass but no cash or coins...Would really need to take about a week in all metal and see what is around. Also found some interesting bottles and of course just plain trash.. All this in about 2 hours

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt an lots of fun even if you didn't find anything worth $$$.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread