Garrett Retreiver Digging Tool - What do you think?

TC-NM

Jun 8, 2008
Sunny AZ
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro & Spectra V3i / White's E Series 9000 & Sunray Pro Golds HP's / Garrett Pro Pinpointer AT/ White's digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never heard of it...............

outdoors

Jun 23, 2008
el cajon, california
Detector(s) used
GTI2500, GTAX550, MINELAB EXPLORER SE PRO,
PROPOINTER, GARRETT AT GOLD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
for the price of it I went to the harbor freight store and for about $15.00 bought one its only
about 2 miles away. garrett sells theirs for $29.00 plus s/h. I just added a strong magnet to it... :thumbsup:

OP
OP
TC-NM

TC-NM

Jun 8, 2008
Sunny AZ
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro & Spectra V3i / White's E Series 9000 & Sunray Pro Golds HP's / Garrett Pro Pinpointer AT/ White's digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Marchas45 for posting the pics. I completely forgot about posting the pics from Garrett's.

TC-NM

slarter

Dec 23, 2009
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Marchas45 said:
Here is the link I'm not that impressed doesn't look strong enough and this guy's expensive. :hello:

Garrett has it listed on their page for $29.95.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
outdoors said:
for the price of it I went to the harbor freight store and for about $15.00 bought one its only
about 2 miles away. garrett sells theirs for $29.00 plus s/h. I just added a strong magnet to it... :thumbsup:
I went to harbor freight's web site could not find one what name did harbor freight have on it so i can check again?

outdoors

Jun 23, 2008
el cajon, california
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
harbor freight has it as (GARDEN PICK/TILLER) Item 65399, bar code 92363 65399
I paid $14.95 last July, find a good size earth magnet then bond it to the head :thumbsup:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
outdoors said:
harbor freight has it as (GARDEN PICK/TILLER) Item 65399, bar code 92363 65399
I paid $14.95 last July, find a good size earth magnet then bond it to the head :thumbsup:
.. Thank You for the information..They did not have them on there web site so i called the store close to me gave them the number and yes the store does have them in stock the gave me a price of Don't get sick now A PRICE OF.."" $7.97 "" i would check with your store and get another one.

outdoors

Jun 23, 2008
el cajon, california
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
everything in California is expensive, that is a good price go for it :thumbsup:
just find an earth magnet 2"x1"x1/4 and bond it to the head and there you are :hello2:
I made mine for meteorite hunting when I go to Arizona, only done it two times in the last 6 months still trying :dontknow:

gambol1

Tenderfoot
Feb 14, 2010
Tampa Florida
Detector(s) used
Ace 150
It looks similar to the tool I use. the handle is too long though and the rake will be useless in clay or in soil that is held together by roots. teeth are too close together. I would sharpen the adz blade and cut off the handle and spread the teeth out and you will probably have a good tool.

My tool has an adz blade on one side and a axe blade on the other. (like a Mattock) You need the axe blade if you are near trees. I used mine today to cut through a 1 inch oak root. The handle is 10 inches long so it is easy to get in and out of the holster.

Attachments

• picknshovel.JPG
    picknshovel.JPG
    194 KB · Views: 531

Texasgopher

Jan 26, 2009
Amarillo
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
I really like the look of it. I would really like to have one. But I'm finding it hard to place it's practical application. I sure wouldn't use it to dig for coins or relics for fear of hitting the target. It's more of a hacking type tool. It seems like it might be good for MDing for gold nuggets. I have never done this though do I don't know. Do you guys that MD for nuggets fear of hurting your nuggets like we coin-shooters do? Or is gold=gold no mater if it is scratched or not. My grandpa says that some nuggets can be sold for more if they have an interesting "face." Anyway, like I said. I would like to have one just to have one............but I'm not sure what I would do with it. :laughing7:

TG

Nashoba

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2006
Washington and Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace250/Prospecter Bounty hunter(Backup)
Texasgopher said:
I really like the look of it. I would really like to have one. But I'm finding it hard to place it's practical application. I sure wouldn't use it to dig for coins or relics for fear of hitting the target. It's more of a hacking type tool. It seems like it might be good for MDing for gold nuggets. I have never done this though do I don't know. Do you guys that MD for nuggets fear of hurting your nuggets like we coin-shooters do? Or is gold=gold no mater if it is scratched or not. My grandpa says that some nuggets can be sold for more if they have an interesting "face." Anyway, like I said. I would like to have one just to have one............but I'm not sure what I would do with it. :laughing7:

TG

What your grandpa said is true. Some nuggets are sold for FAR more than spot value because of, well, having a unique face!
That tool looks like something I would go after meteorites with though. Imagine hitting a key date large silver or a gold coin with that thing! Not me!

~Nash~
~Nash~

hawk-run

Feb 24, 2010
I am from Gods Country
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT Garrett ACE 250 & Pro Pointer
Yes my hunting is most of the time for coins & jewlery i could do some damage with this tool. Be good for Gold country. But i don't live in Gold country.

ThTx

Dec 19, 2006
Combine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to Garrett yesterday to look at the new backpack. Got it and while I was there, I looked at the retriever tool. I liked it - so I got it, too. Going to some pretty rocky country this weekend so I'll let you know how it works.

DFXDon

Aug 27, 2007
West St. Paul Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision V3i, GMT, and X-Terra 705, Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My dealer said Garrett had this several years back and they didn't go over too well for coin shooters they are Ok for relic hunted maybe well any way I talked my self out of buying one.
DFXDon :coffee2:

Texasgopher

Jan 26, 2009
Amarillo
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Just thought there should be a picture.

Attachments

• hbby_recovery_tools_r4_c6.jpg
    hbby_recovery_tools_r4_c6.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 298

Top Member Reactions