Gold ring signals/test

Texasgopher

Jan 26, 2009
Amarillo
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Me and my dad did some air tests on some gold rings. Five rings total.

2-14k plain gold bands. Small size.
2-10k plain gold bands. medium/small size.
1-10k gold highschool class ring. Large/X large size.

Three of the rings are previous MD finds.

Both of the 14k rings hit right on a nickel in every direction so I'm confident that even if you were hunting in coin mode and you were digging all nickel signals you would find them.

both of the 10k plain bands hit between nickel and pulltab. The one 10k ring that I found MDing read the same in the air test that it did when I dug it. Right on the 4.5 mark. So for these one would have to be deliberately digging pulltab signals.

Now, the 10k Highschool ring was a surprise to me. It read right on a 6. This shocked me cause I usually have this notched out because I figured that most gold rings would hit in the nickel/pull tab range. But here is this Large 10k ring that hits on a 6 from every direction.

Now I know that there is no set formula for finding rings and that they can show up almost anywhere. I have heard some people say they find them down in the foil range. I have not found one in that range or tested one that hit in that range. But I have never heard anybody say they have found one up in the 6 range. I know the Garrett machines say that this is still a gold range but have just never heard anybody say they found one here. I was wondering if people thought that the reading was do to the alloy of the 10k gold. Or if it is because of the amount of gold due to a big ring. Has anybody ever dug a solid gold ring that hit a 6 or higher?

I have been living by the motto of "dig it all" but only when it came to nickel and pulltab signals and of course the penny and higher signals. But now it seams that, once again, I will have to rethink and evolve my techniques.

Some food for thouhgt. HH! :icon_thumright:
TG

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold jewelry reads differently depending on which metals it is alloyed with. This is part of the reason for the different readings and the other is size. This why the lower Kt. class ring read higher. If you go by the screen you are going to leave some fine targets in the ground, but you will also cover more ground than the guy digging it all. Just depends on how much fun you want to have.

Nashoba

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2006
Washington and Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace250/Prospecter Bounty hunter(Backup)
Sandman said:
Gold jewelry reads differently depending on which metals it is alloyed with. This is part of the reason for the different readings and the other is size. This why the lower Kt. class ring read higher. If you go by the screen you are going to leave some fine targets in the ground, but you will also cover more ground than the guy digging it all. Just depends on how much fun you want to have.

I was thinking the exact same thing. I say dig them all!
~Nash~

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread