Just Ordered a Sniper Coil...

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Had my Ace 250 for about a year now. Love it. Found out I'm more of relic hunter than a park hunter. There's an old cellar hole that I was working before winter set in. It's given me some nice finds including an 1867 shield nickel. Heck, I even had a worked flint flake come out of a hole that I was digging. The area has some history and it's on public hunting land to boot. So, I'm really excited about this coming season. My only problem is the area around the cellar hole has so many iron signals that it drives my detector (and me) crazy. So, after reading some reviews on the sniper coil I decided this coil would be a much needed addition to my detector. Hopefully, I can work around some of that iron and bag some more goodies. I was concerned about the depth of the sniper coil, but it sounds like it's not much different than the stock coil. Not that the stock coil gets great depth, but fortunately my finds out there are surprisingly shallow. I have a feeling I'm going to like this little coil for cellar holes. I've been eyeing a new machine (Tesoro Tejon) to discriminate iron better and to also get real deep for other areas of this woods, but until that time comes I think the sniper coil will be just the right thing for me now.

-Swartzie

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Sniper coil is the best coil you can use for trashy areas as hopefully you'll only get one target under it at a time. It is shallower but after cleaning the top layer you can dig down couple inches to detect fresh dirt.

I like mine............. :hello:

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
That sniper coil does get amazingly good depth for it's size. I can easily get 6 inches in my soil with it on coin sized objects.

relicswinger

Jun 19, 2008
As with all things there are good and bad things about the sniper coil. The good is that the search area is obviously smaller and you will get fewer mixed signals. I say fewer, since you will still get them. When you do, walk around the signal and scan slower. Frequently you will find an angle that will give you two distinct signals rather than the mixed signal. You may be able to move the coil as little as a 1/4 inch and the detector will tell you what it is. Then look for the other signal and see what it is. These are some good things. The only down sides are that the smaller coils don't reach as deep (it may only be an inch or two less) and it will take you a long time to cover ground.

OP
OP
Swartzie

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well. Finally got the coil after being on back order for a couple weeks. Air tested 6 inches on a dime with sensitivity cranked. Took it out in my back yard to some areas I knew were kinda trashy. I see that to search with this tiny coil you must be slow and methodical and use very short swings when you find a trashy spot and work the heck out of it. I did manage a small split-shot fishing sinker, part of a key chain, very small ball of foil, and an old thumb tack. All small items. But keep in mind these are spots that have been gone over with my stock coil and I never noticed them. They were also near iron objects which I'm sure set the stock coil off.

Now I'm off to a favorite cellar hole in the morning. Hopefully I can pull something out of the iron patch out there. I know the 250 freaks out around iron. But, until I get the tesoro tejon I've been eyeing she's all I got and she's been plenty good to me.

-Swartzie

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max
I ordered my sniper coil when I ordered the pro-pointer. Got the pointer but the coil is on back order until sometime this month but can't wait to get it to give it a shot.

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250
I have three different coils for my ACE. The sniper coil is a keeper for sure. Killer arround cellar holes and other trashy areas.

I have had great luck with mine. VPR

OP
OP
Swartzie

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well, I took the new sniper coil out to the cellar hole this morning. Did manage a neat looking milk token from the early 1900's. It was in an area that I searched before with other coils. The sniper picked it up. That's good. but was only a few inches down. In fact all the stuff I hit out there with the sniper was only a few inches down. When I got home I checked the depth I could get in the ground. About three inches was all she'd pull. Kinda dissapointing. It would air test at 6 inches. But, still a nice coil for getting into tight spots and around tress.

-Swartzie

OP
OP
Swartzie

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Frank1960 said:
I ordered my sniper coil when I ordered the pro-pointer. Got the pointer but the coil is on back order until sometime this month but can't wait to get it to give it a shot.

The pro-pointer is definitely the cat's meow.
-Swartzie

Rifleman

Oct 1, 2007
How high were you running the sensitivity? I've found with the sniper, I can run the sensitivity up higher, sometimes all the way up without falsing. You might have some bad ground you are working in because I find things at 5" and 6" with mine.
Make sure your batteries are fresh also.
Now if the snow would just go away. It's spring and yesterday we got 5", 6" last night. The way things are going, I'm going to have a 2 month searching season.

Good hunting, John K

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread