What A Hunt.....Both A Savanna Relic Hunt, Then A Cold Tundra Hunt

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
dudesa.jpg

Headed out today with my buddy Scott to try hunt some south facing slopes, where the sun has melted a lot of the snow, and in the past has given up some nice, old interesting finds. Today was another day with some nice finds. I got the opportunity to use my new Garrett backpack, which allowed me to easily carry an extra detector along. I used the GTI 2500 for the larger open areas, and the sniper coil on the ACE 250 for the thick bushes.

dudesd.jpg

Here's Scott's best take of the day. He managed a beautiful silver ring, an old tire gauge and some loot. It was very hot in this area working under the sunlight.

dudesc.jpg

Here's my over all take for the day.

dudesb.jpg

Here's by best find of the day. An old 1844 province Of Canada Token. I have been wanting to find one of these for a long time. In fact, it's taken me over 15 years. I found it using the ACE 250/Sniper coil, in some bushes so dense that you couldn't walk through them. The standard coil on my other machine just wouldn't fit in this area.

dudesh.jpg

Here's a few more coins and a button I dug up.

After about 4 hours hunting, Scott & I headed home, for a well deserved rest! After a snack, I decided to go hunt a snow hill close to home. It was such a lovely day, that I figured a lot of people must have been out too.

dudese.jpg

I switched to the large 9 x 12 coil on the ACE 250, so I could cover a lot more ground. The hill I hunted was quite large, so that larger coil worked in my favor. My first belltone signal got me the first of three 2 dollar coins.

dudesf.jpg

Man....I got another ring on a snow hill. They are quite rare in such locations. I did the dance!

dudesj.jpg

Looky here....it was getting dark out. What I thought was a Canadian Dollar coin, ended up being a US Dollar coin. That is definitely a first for me. :) Here is the ring I got. No stamps....I am guessing that it is silver plate. A nice find for this time of year, no matter what it is made of.

And below is my total take on the snow hill. Another great day! Six hours of pure enjoyment!

Attachments

• dudes g.jpg
    dudes g.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 300

Texasgopher

Jan 26, 2009
Amarillo
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
That's some great stuff John! The backpack look like it works great. I would love to have one. The ring is a beauty and sure looks like gold to me. Question: is the yellow tape and smiley face on your coil to help you pinpoint is some way or just some personal flare? Just wondering. Looks like it was a lot of fun. HH

TG

OP
OP
John-Edmonton

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Texasgopher said:
That's some great stuff John! The backpack look like it works great. I would love to have one. The ring is a beauty and sure looks like gold to me. Question: is the yellow tape and smiley face on your coil to help you pinpoint is some way or just some personal flare? Just wondering. Looks like it was a lot of fun. HH

TG
They are there to help pin-point the targets. I usually pinpoint off the toe of the coil, which depending on how fast it cuts off in pinpoint mode sliding it away from the target, gives me an idea on it's depth. I can also get an idea of it's size too doing it this way.

outdoors

Jun 23, 2008
el cajon, california
Detector(s) used
GTI2500, GTAX550, MINELAB EXPLORER SE PRO,
PROPOINTER, GARRETT AT GOLD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
John when you slide the coil off the target and the sound stops does that mean
the target is at the tip of the coil ?

diggingems

Greenie
Mar 3, 2010
Louisville TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI2500
Good finds! Ring #2 looks like a blue moon quartz or moonstone? I hope to find lots of rings on my hunts.

I really think the Garrett people should look into hiring you for commercials.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread