NewAce 250 making high pitch noise?

Art-NJ

Greenie
Apr 1, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett MasterHunter 7...Ace 250
Hi all I decided to upgrade and purchased a new 250. After assembly and powering it on I noticed a high pitch noise coming from the inside of the machine. Is this normal? Kind of annoying but if normal I guess its ok..I want to make sure there is nothing wrong with my new 250. The only thing I can compared it too is the sound a Tv makes when it's on..a high pitch noise..hmmm.. :icon_scratch:

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
That high pitch sound you are hearing is unique....only certain individuals can actually hear it. Most of us can't. You have exceptional hearing. Nothing wrong with the machine , or you for that matter. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Art-NJ

Art-NJ

Greenie
Apr 1, 2010
Detector(s) used
Really? wow that's a relief..bionic hearing :tongue3:....Thanks..I just wanted to make sure the 250 was ok before I took it out and got it dirty..

Chico Rico

Dec 28, 2007
Virginia
My guess.....Probably interference. Especially if you are indoors and/or under power lines. Unfortunately the good Ole ACE does not have settings for different channels. Check it again in a field or park a decent distance from power lines. I used to get EXTREME interference hunting within twelve feet of an electric fence at an 1820's plantation. I know I missed bocoup targets.

OP
OP
Art-NJ

Art-NJ

Greenie
Apr 1, 2010
Detector(s) used
Chico..I sent garret an email and they replied telling me that its normal..It's not a sound coming from the speaker..its coming from inside the unit itself..So far I'm not so happy with the 250..went out today to test it and its very erratic >:( The old detector I have seems better!..the pinpointing stinks on the 250..my old masterhunter7 pinpointing is really good if I get a signal, whatever it is I will always find it right under the middle of the coil..the 250 is all over the place..I tried pinpoint middle of coil nothing..I tried top of coil nothing..I just make a huge hole so i can find whatever its signaling...maybe I need more time with it...I'm going to try it some more but if things stay the same I think Im going back to the master and getting rid of the 250.. :(

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to T-net and have fun with that machine. By the way, since you hear the high pitched sound, you may be part K-9 :dontknow: I look forward to seeing your finds when you post them :icon_thumleft:

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Art-NJ said:
Chico..I sent garret an email and they replied telling me that its normal..It's not a sound coming from the speaker..its coming from inside the unit itself..So far I'm not so happy with the 250..went out today to test it and its very erratic >:( The old detector I have seems better!..the pinpointing stinks on the 250..my old masterhunter7 pinpointing is really good if I get a signal, whatever it is I will always find it right under the middle of the coil..the 250 is all over the place..I tried pinpoint middle of coil nothing..I tried top of coil nothing..I just make a huge hole so i can find whatever its signaling...maybe I need more time with it...I'm going to try it some more but if things stay the same I think Im going back to the master and getting rid of the 250.. :(

You need to practice pinpointing....The ACE is right on whether you pinpoint off the front toe of the coil or the center HERE ARE A COUPLE OF LINKS TO HELP YOU.

http://www.garrett.com/hobby/hbby_ace_250_pinpointing.htm

OP
OP
Art-NJ

Art-NJ

Greenie
Apr 1, 2010
Detector(s) used
John-E thank you.. I will try tomorrow to see if it's any better..

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whatever you do, don't opt for the Excalibur 14" x 9" that is almost impossible to pinpoint. But great for clearing large areas

OP
OP
Art-NJ

Art-NJ

Greenie
Apr 1, 2010
Detector(s) used
Well today went a little better..John-E.. thanks again for the pinpoint vid..I was able to pinpoint within inches of the target. I guess I need to practice practice practice..I found a Winchester 40 cal shell and few coins..I realized if the 250 gets erratic most likely its garbage..
Spartacus..The next thing I'm buying is a coil protector..other coils will have to wait till I really get to know this machine..

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Art-NJ said:
Spartacus..The next thing I'm buying is a coil protector..other coils will have to wait till I really get to know this machine..

Didn't your machine come with a coil cover, most do? Instead of the cover you can also use a spray that they use for the bedding on truck, that will also work. The Ace is an easy machine to learn, but at times you will also see sometimes a dime will end up being a penny. Like others have said before me, unless the jumping is really erratic, dig it!!

OP
OP
Art-NJ

Art-NJ

Greenie
Apr 1, 2010
Detector(s) used
??? Did ur 250 come with one???I got the basic 250, only extra I got was the dvd :-\.. I like the truck bedding spray idea..I have some of that Ill give that a shot..thanks! and yes 10c will end up being a penny... I went out last night and got a very strong signal kept digging but nothing :dontknow:..pinpoint was dead on and I was bout 5 inches down and still nothing. the more I dug the less the depth but in the end it kept saying 2 inches but nothing..weird..

Murky

Mar 31, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250
Well I am glad I ain't the only one who hears that noise, drives me nuts if I don't have the headphones on. :laughing7:

ohiochris

May 6, 2009
I remember this topic on another website. Some hear that noise and some do not. I dont hear it coming from my 250 , neither does my wife , 13 yr old daughter or my 4 year old son , or anybody else Ive asked. We cant all be deaf. Mine dont make the sound. Something else that seemed odd in the other thread was that those who heard the sound also complained of their machine being erratic and not having the performance reported by those who didnt hear it. Garrett would naturally say its normal if they think there is nothing to it. My belief is that even though its common , its still not supposed to be making that noise. Whats inside that box ? just wires and chips , not vacuum tubes and whirring instruments. There may be nothing that can be done about it but my belief is that a certain amount of the machines were shipped out with something slightly out of adjustment or untuned , and thats not an uncommon thing. If it works good then obviously your detector is working as it should and there is no problem but I know they dont all make that noise.

Bikerboyzx6r

May 3, 2010
Liverpool, England.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Art-NJ said:
I went out last night and got a very strong signal kept digging but nothing :dontknow:..pinpoint was dead on and I was bout 5 inches down and still nothing. the more I dug the less the depth but in the end it kept saying 2 inches but nothing..weird..

Hi mate, Its not just you or the ACE! I have dug down to 8" on a 4" target... sat back & the sun hit the side wall. I could just see a Brass pin glistening in the side & it was pointing up so the Ace actually hit a target 7mm x 1mm!!! I pulled it out & it was a WW2 stickpin. So if you ever get that again:

Move to the side
OR
Get a pinpointer to take the manual labour out of it! Garrett do a good one :icon_thumright:

Cheers
Dan

NC Iron Man

Apr 28, 2010
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Ace 250
I just had my new Ace 250 delivered from KellyCo 30 minutes ago. Put it together, turned it on and it has the high pitched sound! :( Now I truly know this is not normal because I bought one two weeks ago for my father and used it. I liked it so much I ordered my own. No high pitched sound with that one... BTW - the one with the high pitched sound was the Delux Sport Pack, the other was not. Anyone return their Ace 250 because of the sound?

OP
OP
Art-NJ

Art-NJ

Greenie
Apr 1, 2010
Detector(s) used
Well it seems there is something wrong with my 250..I noticed that while Md and trying to pinpoint the 250 would give a very faint tone and all the icons would light up but no action it seemed as if it was freezing..I would have to let go of the pinpoint button and press it again to have the unit work as meant to. I called Garret and after explaining the problem plus the high pitch noise they decided to replace it. I was told the high pitch noise was normal but when I asked how come the display model at the store did not have this high pitch noise and mine did how can it be normal? the rep said he did not know why..I also was having trouble with the 250 acting up with the pinpoint button and the rep just said they are going to replace it.. ups picked up the box last week( free shipping from Garret :icon_thumleft:) and should be getting a new one by next week..hopefully this one wont have the high pitch noise...

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a 250 and so do some of my friends and we do not have any noise in ours. Who ever you talked to at garrett was giveing you a bunch of ..BS.. there has to be something wrong with your 250.. And some of these reps will tell you any thing. And to tell you he did not know is not a good thing to hear from a rep. If they don't know there own product or what to tell you about it , that is pretty bad news.

Attachments

• 294x220.jpg
    294x220.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 325
  • 294x220.jpg
    294x220.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 298
OP
OP
Art-NJ

Art-NJ

Greenie
Apr 1, 2010
Detector(s) used
Received my replacement 250. This one does not make the high pitch noise :headbang:...so far its been goooood.. pinpoint works great. Guess I had a defective one..Garret was great to deal.

kando

Nov 14, 2008
,U.S.A. almost in Canada
Detector(s) used
....Tesoro conquistador , minelab sovereign
Art-NJ said:
Received my replacement 250. This one does not make the high pitch noise :headbang:...so far its been goooood.. pinpoint works great. Guess I had a defective one..Garret was great to deal.
But why did the person you talked to at Garrett did not tell you there was something wrong. NO he told you that was normal and it was not. I don't know why but John Edmonton on here told you that was normal nothing wrong but he misled you also.

Attachments

• 437607350v_225x225_Front_padToSquare-true.png
    437607350v_225x225_Front_padToSquare-true.png
    5.6 KB · Views: 229
  • 437607350v_225x225_Front_padToSquare-true.png
    437607350v_225x225_Front_padToSquare-true.png
    5.6 KB · Views: 224

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread