A day of detecting is better than a day at work ???

Rifleman

Oct 1, 2007
I'll try to keep this as short as possible. I just moved back to Idaho and remembered this old abandon house up it the trees next to a friends house. I used to go through there when I lived here before in my 68 Jeep CJ-5. Anyway, I get permission to go detect there.
I now have a full size Blazer 1500. There is a creek that you have to cross to get to the house. The creek has banks at least 4 feet high and there is a 45 degree cut out that you can drive down and cross the creek. Well, I get there and forget how skinny the cut out is. The old skinney jeep would fit, but no way the Blazer would squeeze through. I had forgot how narrow the cut was.
OK, so the house is only a quarter mile away, so I find aplace that I can cross the creek on foot.
Of course, my foot slips and my one leg goes about 10" in the water. It's just slightly cold, I'm at the base of some mountains still packed with snow.
OK, so now I've got a wet cold foot. No big deal. I hoof up up to the house. My back is hurting pretty good and I forgot to take my meds. I can detect for 30 to 45 minutes at a time before my back screams too bad.
I get to the house and start detecting. My friend said his kids had detected there with an old Radio Shack detector and found some Indian Head pennies. Well I find every kind of junk that you can think of. I'm working my way around the front of the house and see a couple of Bee's. I look up and there is a huge nest right above me. I get lucky and back away without getting stung.
I then spot these three huge trees just to the left of the house. looks like a great place to find somehing. Again nothing but junk.
I move to the other side of the house and get a good repeatable 50 cent signal. I scrape the dirt and there is a 4 foot by 3 foot slab of rock about 3 to 4 inches thick. The signal is right in the middle of the rock.
I'm thinking I have found a great stash place under the rock, it's just to the right of the bedroom window! It's not native type rock. I dig around the rock and liift it out of the way, hurting my back more. It turns out to be a piece of metal. Re scan, nothing. By now my back hurts like crazy so I walked back to my blazer, right through the middle of the creek this time. One wet shoe and leg or two, what's the difference.
Sometimes you win, sometimes you loose, today was not my best detecting day.
I should have just stayed home. Next time will be better....I hope.

Best Regards, John K

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
John, nice story. If you had stayed home you wouldn't have had the nice experiences you had. Adventure is better than sitting in front of the boob tube and you found some memories. If I would have had the blazer I would have got stuck in the stream, got stung by bees, and broke my detectors.

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Great adventure you had! I have always heard a similar expression which reads:

"A BAD DAY METAL DETECTING IS MUCH BETTER THEN A GOOD DAY AT WORK"

OP
OP
R

Rifleman

Oct 1, 2007
The time I went out prior to this one was an old house that my son had rented. I found a really nice 1900 silver dollar, a couple of really old Mercs in darn nice condition a ton of junk and some wheat pennies. That was a great day.
If you don't try, you won't make those good finds.
Just wish my back was like it was when I was 25. Getting out and hunting helps keep me fit. I don't know if it helps my back any in the long run, but it sure makes it hurt in the short run. Hey, life gives you lemons, you make lemonaid :icon_thumleft:

Best Regards, John K

M

miser

Rifleman,

Brother, have I had days like yours. My back tends to give me trouble sometimes too. I'd like to make a suggestion. Get one of those soft back support braces that wrap around your waist like you see those guys wearing at Lowe's and Home Depot. They Velcro on and off easily. They will keep your back straight and make you bend with your legs. It helps a whole bunch.

Of course, given your leg injury crossing the creek, it might not have helped you THAT much on that particular day. :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread