garrett at3

vernon

Jun 12, 2010

RustyRelicHunter

Oct 5, 2004
SC
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
The small slot that needs a screwdriver to adjust is for the audio threshhold; set it to slight audio volume for the best results. The small slide switch sets the detector for salt or freshwater hunting; if you check it with a magnifying glass you should be able to see the marks. I think you slide it to the right for salt but I never noticed a big diifference in operation of either mode on the AT3 I had.

I hope this helps! Also, let me know if you might be interested in selling the AT3 and upgrading to something newer.

Rusty

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RustyRelicHunter said:
The small slot that needs a screwdriver to adjust is for the audio threshhold; set it to slight audio volume for the best results. The small slide switch sets the detector for salt or freshwater hunting; if you check it with a magnifying glass you should be able to see the marks. I think you slide it to the right for salt but I never noticed a big diifference in operation of either mode on the AT3 I had.

I hope this helps! Also, let me know if you might be interested in selling the AT3 and upgrading to something newer.

Rusty

The AT3 still is a good detector if the gaskets are still good. I and a lot of others wished Garrett would come out with a detector for fresh water again instead of these PI's.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I checked with Garrett and they don't make coils for the AT3 or AT4 any more.

Attachments

• !BqB-6c!CGk~$(KGrHqQOKj4EupdGL(5CBLt-72ZDOg~~_1.jpg
    !BqB-6c!CGk~$(KGrHqQOKj4EupdGL(5CBLt-72ZDOg~~_1.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 211

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Sandman said:
RustyRelicHunter said:

Rusty

The AT3 still is a good detector if the gaskets are still good. I and a lot of others wished Garrett would come out with a detector for fresh water again instead of these PI's.
If garrett did make a fresh water detector i would be first in line to buy one.

RustyRelicHunter

Oct 5, 2004
SC
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
I should add that the freshwater or standard mode is the recommended setting for hunting yards, parks, etc. The circuits Garrett put in the AT3 and AT4 were pretty much the same as the Freedom3 but the ATs were in a waterproof (to 6 feet) housing. Many people on this and other forums have said that the Garretts performed better on the East coast but did not work very well in the highly mineralized soil of the West coast. Larry (Easy Money) knows more about this than I do.

kando

Nov 14, 2008
,U.S.A. almost in Canada
Detector(s) used
....Tesoro conquistador , minelab sovereign
RustyRelicHunter said:
I should add that the freshwater or standard mode is the recommended setting for hunting yards, parks, etc. The circuits Garrett put in the AT3 and AT4 were pretty much the same as the Freedom3 but the ATs were in a waterproof (to 6 feet) housing. Many people on this and other forums have said that the Garretts performed better on the East coast but did not work very well in the highly mineralized soil of the West coast. Larry (Easy Money) knows more about this than I do.
Well yes we know it is a VLF detector waterproofed.... All water detectors that are VLF also can be used as inland detectors........ and just looking at the AT 3 or 4 it sort of looks like the freedom 2 and 3 they were very good detectors. ......... I know that Lucky larry aka easy money..... has a lot of knowledge in electronics and also worked for detector companys.......But there are times that i think he has a grudge out for Garrett..........Or don't like Garrett detectors for some reason.

Attachments

• !!d59UFwBmM~$(KGrHqQH-CIEsJ)wlqBrBLF+5ET(f!~~_26.jpg
    !!d59UFwBmM~$(KGrHqQH-CIEsJ)wlqBrBLF+5ET(f!~~_26.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 312

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keppy said:
Sandman said:
RustyRelicHunter said:

Rusty

If garrett did make a fresh water detector i would be first in line to buy one.

I would too. I can't remember if I had the AT3 or AT4 now............ :icon_scratch:

one arm willy

Oct 15, 2014
North west Pa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am glad I found this post. I picked up an at3 for rainy days. It's pinpoint function acted like it was always detuned. It wouldn't have any response to rusty nails. Iron had to be near touching the coil for a response. After finding this post on the slider switch. I found mine was to the right. Which must be salt. I switched it to the left & pinpoints like it should. Wish that switch was accessible from outside the box. That might have some benefit in rusty nail infested sights.
Thanks
0nearmwilly

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions