apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am about to show my big lack of knowledge here. On some posts I find folks looking for relics, such as arrowheads. Will a detector pick those up? I have an ACE 250, and there is a "relic" mode, but not sure if that is truly what it means. I thought many arrowheads were made out of materials that a dectector would not pick up. Yep, so obvious I know so little.

apush :read2:

Hosensack

Apr 20, 2007
Mertztown, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Safari,X-Terra 705, Tesoro Tejon, Whites DFX, Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500, 250, Fisher Gold Bug DP,F75 Limited
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe it is more of a hunting for both(swinging in a feild, and keeping an eye for arrowheads at the same time) although they will show up alot as a bonus, much like pottery, and bottles do while digging for a deeper target in a relic situation.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
"relic" as far as a metal detector goes is any old metal object * need less to say unless the arrowhead has some type pf metal content or is made of metal a "metal detector" will not find them --however while in areas that contain old relics one can often run across arrowheads while digging or on the surface in such areas.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
apush:
If you don't know something, ask and don't be embarrassed. That's the way we all learn. Now, a more direct answer to your question; the "Relic" mode is for all metallic objects such as belt buckles, belt plates, bullets, etc. and any other metal items that can be identified and dated for collectible reasons. There were iron arrowheads used as trade goods for a while, but stone items are found by "eyeball" searching either as the primary method or as a technique used AS you're metal detecting.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
indains would also take broken trade good copper cooking pots flatten them out into sheet copper and cut out arrowheads from them too. :wink: :icon_thumright:

kmatcek

Greenie
May 5, 2006
Lufkin, TX
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
apush said:
I am about to show my big lack of knowledge here. On some posts I find folks looking for relics, such as arrowheads. Will a detector pick those up? I have an ACE 250, and there is a "relic" mode, but not sure if that is truly what it means. I thought many arrowheads were made out of materials that a dectector would not pick up. Yep, so obvious I know so little.

I am glad you asked this question. I was thinking the same thing. I do some arrow head hunting on toledo bend and know they are not made of metal. Maybe some day we will cross paths. I would like to say hi.

OP
OP
apush

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to all that responded. My gratitude!

Will be heading to Galveston in a couple of weeks. Never hunted a beach, really excited . . . even if I only find clad.

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, Good Question!! Would you believe that I once saw a Metal Detector that would find arrowheads. It was supposed to pick up flint. Of course where I live in Ohio, the sounds would drive you nuts, because of all the flint in the ground. I have looked and looked, but I can not find the article about the arrowhead detector. Maybe it was a Dowser. Who knows, I just don't think they would ever work.

Most of the arrowheads I find are found while I am Relic hunting. I'm always looking at the ground while I swing my coil. I have picked up arrowheads, Spear points, stone hammers, button's you name it. More than once I have hauled a grinding stone out of a field while metal detecting.

Good Luck with your quest. Keep your eyes on the ground, You just never know what you will find!!

HH, Ringfinder

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread