B|lker

Apr 3, 2006
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 And
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anyone ever swung over gold coins or 24-kt gold?
I know on mine 14-kt rings come in bouncing between pull-tab and nickle until it`s out of the ground then a solid nickle.
My 10-kt rings and small jewelry bounces between a nickle and the foil reading and then solid nickle when its out of the ground.

Now for the big question: Do gold coins come in according to there size? IE: dime, quarter, half, dollar in the silver range on the scale?
Or do they come in where there marked on the scale in the brass area?
Opp`s i almost forgot, do they jump around or remain a solid figure on the scale. assuming no trash around?

Thanks everybody in advance.

Yours truly,
NEVER FOUND A GOLD COIN / YET ;D

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
B|lker said:
Has anyone ever swung over gold coins or 24-kt gold?
I know on mine 14-kt rings come in bouncing between pull-tab and nickle until it`s out of the ground then a solid nickle.
My 10-kt rings and small jewelry bounces between a nickle and the foil reading and then solid nickle when its out of the ground.

Now for the big question: Do gold coins come in according to there size? IE: dime, quarter, half, dollar in the silver range on the scale?
Or do they come in where there marked on the scale in the brass area?
Opp`s i almost forgot, do they jump around or remain a solid figure on the scale. assuming no trash around?

Thanks everybody in advance.

Yours truly,

Hey B|ker - I've haven't found any gold at all with mine! I did get lucky at an auction, and let my Ace give it all a good sniff.
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,339490.0.html

Those pieces ran the almost the full spectrum. The tie tack, mangled beyond recognition in the pic was fixed at low pull tab. The bracelet dinged like a zinc penny. The cufflinks at nickel.
I used to disc out zinc cents, not so much recently. These were all air tests, of course.
HH!

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
B|lker said:
Opp`s i almost forgot, do they jump around or remain a solid figure on the scale. assuming no trash around

Sorry, I don't really have an answer to your main question. But, the deeper an object is the more the signal tends to bounce around. Or it may give a signal one way and then if your turn 90 degrees it may give a different signal. I have seen both many times on coins and other stuff. Best thing to do is dig it to find out what it is. I always tell myself, "well, there's only one way to find out what it is - dig the dang thing up!" instead of standing there swinging my coil trying to analyze it.

-Swartzie

OP
OP
B|lker

B|lker

Apr 3, 2006
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 And
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally got to swing over an 1800`s 20 dollar St. Gaudens gold coin this weekend while selling some jewelry i found.
I was so surprised it rang as a dime and not a dollar. I even made sure the salesman wasn`t wearing in jewelry. :icon_scratch:

Keep diggin those dimes everyone and thanks for everyone's 2 cents.

Yours truly,

Bill

JohnnieWalker

Nov 30, 2009
Zebulon NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari Teknetics T2
I hope you swing over one soon so you can cash it in and get a real detector like me and Bob have Bill!! :laughing9:

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Ace 250, Garrett 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JohnnieWalker said:
I hope you swing over one soon so you can cash it in and get a real detector like me and Bob have Bill!! :laughing9:

Ah dont letem tell ya that..I have a 1350 that gathers dust..I use my little ace a whole lot more....Have quite a collection of trinkets I have collected with the little yeller feller...

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
The first gold (14K tennis bracelet) I found just a few days after I got my 250, I was digging everything but it was really bouncy because of the trashy area I was in. The second piece (and last) was a very small 14K basketball charm from a necklace or bracelet it rang in as a solid nickle but it was maybe 20% the size of a nickle so I don't think the size of the object makes as much difference as other things like depth, gold content, nearby trash, etc... I dig a lot of pull tabs though because you just don't know for sure 'til you see it with your own eyes.

The thing that bugs me the most about the 250 is how the reading changes after you dig the plug. I get a lot of solid tones then dig the plug and rescan it and it is a weak trashy tone. I remember reading somewhere on here that if you stomp on the spot you pinpoint before you dig you can rescan it and get a more accurate signal :dontknow:

HH Charlie

dogpound

Sep 24, 2010
southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
gold falls under pulltab/nickle atleast for rings, silver rings normally fall under dime/quarter. atleast thats what i learned

Benjamin52

Apr 26, 2011
Germany
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS :-:
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found an 18k red Gold (25%copper, 75% Gold) ring last week at about 4 inches deep and it made about every sound the poor little loudspeaker could produce and it also jumped all over the traget ID

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread