Infinium Nails 7 Rings Hunting A Fresh Water Lake

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
SEVENALL.jpg

Still on holidays....was going to post all of my finds next week, however, after a great hunt today, I just had to post today's water hunt.

Attachments

• SEVEN RINGS.jpg
    SEVEN RINGS.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 416

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
wow that was an awesome hunt!! congrats on the gold. It is always fun to see a ring in the scoop.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Outstanding. Knowing how tough it is to recover anything from the water, this gives inspiration to all that take up the task. You kill me.

Slugrusher

Question for the Infinium owners.

Why the Infinium rather than the Mark II?

I am a public safety diver and am new to this MD thing. I would like to purchase one or the other. I am familiar, though in no way
very experienced with the Mark II, we have one on our dive recovery truck. The Captain threw it to me to find a knife
once and since then I was "deemed" expert.

Aside from evidence recovery I'd rather use one for my own personal gain. I spend a majority of my time watching people
get out of control and act stupidly on the weekends while on their, or their friends, boats. I KNOW a LOT of stuff goes
overboard and heard a few weekends ago a 3 carat ring and Rolex got kicked off the swim platform and deep sixed
in about 18 feet of murky water. Reportedly never recovered. While that would be a NICE find, jury is still out on whether
it truly happened. No one made a report to the station of lost items in order to recover their insurance bounty.

Anyway. Any information would be great. I would like to hit the surf and beach area as well.

Thanks

Oh yes. Salt-water environment.

OP
OP
John-Edmonton

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Slugrusher said:
Question for the Infinium owners.

Why the Infinium rather than the Mark II?

I am a public safety diver and am new to this MD thing. I would like to purchase one or the other. I am familiar, though in no way
very experienced with the Mark II, we have one on our dive recovery truck. The Captain threw it to me to find a knife
once and since then I was "deemed" expert.

Aside from evidence recovery I'd rather use one for my own personal gain. I spend a majority of my time watching people
get out of control and act stupidly on the weekends while on their, or their friends, boats. I KNOW a LOT of stuff goes
overboard and heard a few weekends ago a 3 carat ring and Rolex got kicked off the swim platform and deep sixed
in about 18 feet of murky water. Reportedly never recovered. While that would be a NICE find, jury is still out on whether
it truly happened. No one made a report to the station of lost items in order to recover their insurance bounty.

Anyway. Any information would be great. I would like to hit the surf and beach area as well.

Thanks

Oh yes. Salt-water environment.

The Mark II is a great machine. The Infinium is better, but it also costs more. The Mark II will discriminate at shallow depths. The Infinium will do better, differently at great depth. Here is a short article I wrote a while back describing the Infinium:

"The Infinium does have some discrimination characteristics. It's not like an accumulative type or notch found on VLF type detectors. In fact, the Infinium is entirely different then any other type of detector. What the Infinium can do as far as discrimination is concerned, is give a tone HIGH-LOW for iron, aluminum and gold. It also gives off a LOW-HIGH signal for silver, copper and again iron. So iron and other junk is always the wild card in both types of signals, as it is a Pulse Induction type of detector. However, the Infinium also comes with an iron check, which again helps with getting a better probability of what type (iron or not?) target it is. Now the Infinium has a bit of a learning curve, and if you are new to metal detecting and lack basic theory on how the machines operate, don't buy one. It will be a lesson in frustration for you.

Now having said that, other little techniques are on your learning curve to be discovered. For instance, the smoothness/roughness of the tone gives a hint as to whether it is an iron rusted target or not. The "Sustain" length of time that the Infinium gives after reading a target gives you a hint as to its size. The Infinium gives a double bleep on bobby pins and wire. So......if you only want to dig gold, only dig the HIGH-LOW signals. That removes a lot of signals that you can leave in the ground. Also, use the iron check, which even cuts out more targets. If you want to dig mostly coins, including old deep silver, dig only the LOW-HIGH signals. Again....use the iron check.

Is the Infinium the holy grail of detectors? No it isn't. It's a PI and loves iron, like all PI's. Iron can not be discriminated out like a VLF detector. But it goes DEEP! It must be ground balanced and a proper frequency must be picked for maxamum performance. I have pulled rings out at over 14 inches with a nice strong signal. It is one of (if not the) deepest machines available. It was designed to get gold in some of the highest mineralized soils in the world. It works in all salt water/beach environments and is water proof too.

Is it a good coin shooter? Perhaps, but only in areas where there are few targets. It's not practical for park environments, as it picks up all metals, even those that your VLF will miss. I have had some success using it in the woods, digging only the LOW-HIGH signals. It should also perform well at relic hunting too.

Where it worked best for me was in hunted out beaches where most of the targets had been removed. The best beach hunters dig ALL targets. The Infinium isn't for everyone, and is not a do it all detector. But if you give it the time it deserves to learn it properly, and use it in its proper environment, it is a killer. I have my best gold ring year ever in 15 years using this machine."

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread