More Up To Date Information On The Garrett AT Pro: (Sun. Sept.26)

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
1) The high audio sound given off on this unit is NOT the belltone sound which is common on other Garrett units.

2) The advanced audio system allows the user to distinguish the difference between junk targets that would read up in the coin range and good targets. Example: In a "Standard Mode", You can go over a US quarter and then a flattened, rusty bottlecap and they will produce the same high tone. Switch to a "Pro Mode" and the bottle cap will sound slightly different than the quarter. Turn on the "Iron Audio" feature and the bottle cap produces a low-high-low (multi-tone), and the quarter will still produce only the high tone. That makes it very easy to separate junk targets from coins. The illustrations that are in the catalog pages that have been posted on the forums and on the Garrett website explain this audio feature.

Did somebody say DD's like bottlecaps?

It is "Tone Roll Audio" on this page - http://garrett.com/at_pro/page5.htm

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
John , Yes that is one of the many good feature's on the AT Pro . Can't wait for mine to get here ...Got it ordered but november is not that far away.................

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine isn't here either but I doubt it will be good in many saltwater sites where black sand is present too. It should work well in most Flordia waters. For most guys the AT Pro won't be worth it if they are only interested in max profit instead of max fun.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
I think the second and fourth pages of the brochure state that the coil design gives good results in salt water and heavily mineralized areas. Plus manual ground balance. I am confused about the Iron Audio. Is it allowing the whole upper half of the iron zone to sound off in mid-tone? Or is the whole true iron range shifted down 20 points, allowing better "resolution" and broader range for the gold goodies.???

From the brochure: "IRON AUDIO: Allows users to hear discriminated iron (normally silenced) and
to alter the detector's mid-tone signal's range in order to avoid digging undesired ferrous targets."

If taken literally, this would mean that you can now hear a normally iron sounding target (low pitch) in the better zone (mid pitch). I am confused.

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
gleaner1 said:
I think the second and fourth pages of the brochure state that the coil design gives good results in salt water and heavily mineralized areas. Plus manual ground balance. I am confused about the Iron Audio. Is it allowing the whole upper half of the iron zone to sound off in mid-tone? Or is the whole true iron range shifted down 20 points, allowing better "resolution" and broader range for the gold goodies.???

From the brochure: "IRON AUDIO: Allows users to hear discriminated iron (normally silenced) and
to alter the detector's mid-tone signal's range in order to avoid digging undesired ferrous targets."

If taken literally, this would mean that you can now hear a normally iron sounding target (low pitch) in the better zone (mid pitch). I am confused.

I had an $80 Chinese detector that could do this, and I liked it._!

On many detectors iron can "overwhelm" discrimination. The iron is read properly at a distance, but as the coil gets closer the iron can read as just about anything. Sometimes the masquerade can be quite consistent. Iron Audio (possibly an enhanced "tone discrimination") lets you hear a sweep over an iron target like this:
coil approaches target: low tone (iron ahead)
coil over target: high tone (iron overwhelming discrimination and masquerading as something else)
coil moving away from target: low tone(discrimination recovers as coil moves away from iron)

This works, but you have to be able to quickly put a target into an "iron audio" mode much like pinpointing. I wouldn't want to leave it there, growling over every nail.

Furthermore, and I find this important: They don't use "Iron Audio" when they have the good target hidden by the nail in the video. It would likely read the same LowHighLow as an iron only target. In that case the small iron is discriminated out in the video. I imagine it would show up in 'iron audio' and possibly even mask the good target.

If this sounds like I'm dissing the AT Pro, not true! I'll have one by spring, Lord willing. I'm just saying you'll STILL have to decide weather to dig iron sounding targets. As for me: No thanks, I'll leave them for you.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
batcap said:
gleaner1 said:

On many detectors iron can "overwhelm" discrimination. The iron is read properly at a distance, but as the coil gets closer the iron can read as just about anything. Sometimes the masquerade can be quite consistent. Iron Audio (possibly an enhanced "tone discrimination") lets you hear a sweep over an iron target like this:
coil over target: high tone (iron overwhelming discrimination and masquerading as something else)
coil moving away from target: low tone(discrimination recovers as coil moves away from iron)

This works, but you have to be able to quickly put a target into an "iron audio" mode much like pinpointing. I wouldn't want to leave it there, growling over every nail.

Furthermore, and I find this important: They don't use "Iron Audio" when they have the good target hidden by the nail in the video. It would likely read the same LowHighLow as an iron only target. In that case the small iron is discriminated out in the video. I imagine it would show up in 'iron audio' and possibly even mask the good target.

If this sounds like I'm dissing the AT Pro, not true! I'll have one by spring, Lord willing. I'm just saying you'll STILL have to decide weather to dig iron sounding targets. As for me: No thanks, I'll leave them for you.

Iron Audio has two functions. The first is to allow iron to be heard, it is not heard NORMALLY. The machine does not sound off on iron unless Iron Audio is turned on. I think they should have gotten rid of the classic one-tone beep option, nobody will use it unless their eyes are glued to the screen. Low for iron, High for copper/silver, mid for alum foil. Why have any other mode?

What I don't understand is the second feature of Iron Audio, which is to tweak down the low tone(iron)/mid tone(alum/gold) audio threshold from the normal 39 cut off point down to the 20 level, and I guess any point in between (another mystery, not as disturbing). What this means is that targets in the NORMAL IRON RANGE OF 1 THRU 39 will now sound off as MID TONE from 20 to 39. Have fun digging iron crap all day. OR, .......IF............ tweaking down the mid range audio response also shifts the whole iron detection range down, in effect broadening the whole mid tone target ID range, giving better resolution to gold and foil and pull tabs, then this machine will be smashing.

Adrian SS

Dec 7, 2008
Canberra
Detector(s) used
LST, BDHI,Infinium,Sov XS,6000DI Pro SL,Scorpion,V-SAT,Spectrum XLT,Gold Spear,Scorpion,Sand Shark, Compadre,Sierra Madre,Safari, SDC2300, Sea Hunter,CS4PI,TDI OZ Pro, Vallon VMH3CS. Gardiner 202A
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The "AT Pro" does not have a salt mode but, it can be ground balanced to the salt and I would suggest that at the very least this would make it as good as say a BHID in salt water and therefore be quite a lot better than most VLF machines in those conditions. Although the detector is waterproof it was not designed specifically for saltwater but the fact that the GB range takes in salt and, combined with the DD coil plus all of the other features, the machine is going to be fantastic.

Adrian SS

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
gleaner1 said:
batcap said:
gleaner1 said:

Iron Audio has two functions. The first is to allow iron to be heard, it is not heard NORMALLY. The machine does not sound off on iron unless Iron Audio is turned on. I think they should have gotten rid of the classic one-tone beep option, nobody will use it unless their eyes are glued to the screen. Low for iron, High for copper/silver, mid for alum foil. Why have any other mode?

What I don't understand is the second feature of Iron Audio, which is to tweak down the low tone(iron)/mid tone(alum/gold) audio threshold from the normal 39 cut off point down to the 20 level, and I guess any point in between (another mystery, not as disturbing). What this means is that targets in the NORMAL IRON RANGE OF 1 THRU 39 will now sound off as MID TONE from 20 to 39. Have fun digging iron crap all day. OR, .......IF............ tweaking down the mid range audio response also shifts the whole iron detection range down, in effect broadening the whole mid tone target ID range, giving better resolution to gold and foil and pull tabs, then this machine will be smashing.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but you should check out "atpro part 3.flv" again on youtube. The relevant info starts at about 8 minutes and goes to about the end. A steel bottle cap is indeed heard "pretending" to be a nickel. Tone Roll audio gives a gentle hint to an experienced ear: "don't bother, I'm really iron"

Iron Audio, for the hard of hearing or inexperienced, shouts "HEY! THIS IS IRON!!!"

I want one. All I have to do is turn off my gas and electric service for two months.

kwdstalker

Jun 11, 2008
edgar nebraska
Detector(s) used
garrett ultra gta 500 garrett 250 ace and gti2500
We hunt parks, old home sites, lakes, and Oregon Trail so this will be what the doctor ordered for us. I use the gti 2500 now but it might be a backup for the pro next year.

Plug popper

Aug 23, 2010
Mo
Detector(s) used
Garrett GMH CXlll Garrett Master Hunter 10x Garrett master hunter 7x Garrett MH ADS 6 master hunter 5x
I love the older Garrett's ' but the AT Pro looks like a my kind of detector :headbang. I plan on waiting to see how everyone dose with there's before buying one.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
batcap said:
gleaner1 said:
batcap said:
gleaner1 said:

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but you should check out "atpro part 3.flv" again on youtube. The relevant info starts at about 8 minutes and goes to about the end. A steel bottle cap is indeed heard "pretending" to be a nickel. Tone Roll audio gives a gentle hint to an experienced ear: "don't bother, I'm really iron"

Iron Audio, for the hard of hearing or inexperienced, shouts "HEY! THIS IS IRON!!!"

I want one. All I have to do is turn off my gas and electric service for two months.

batcap I don't consider you as being argumentative. There is no argument. Simply questions. I like the fact that you are willing to discuss. I don't understand Iron Audio. Iron Audio does two things, but neither of them is for helping the hard of hearing or the inexperienced detectorist. It's geared toward advanced users. They want to hear iron. Tone Roll has nothing to do with Iron Audio. Now, quoting from the brochure once again:

"IRON AUDIO: Allows users to hear discriminated iron (normally silenced)....AND.....to ALTER THE DETECTOR'S MID-TONE SIGNAL'S RANGE IN ORDER TO AVOID DIGGING UNDESIRED FERROUS TARGETS" (Sorry caps sensitive people, I don't know how to underline text here, NOT TRYING TO BE BELLIGERENT). I am stupefied about exactly what they mean about "altering" the detector's mid-tone range and how possibly this can help avoid digging undesired iron targets. I avoid digging undesired iron targets by not digging iron sounding targets. See where I'm going? Why make iron sound off as mid tone? You already know its iron cause you turned Iron Audio on, and the thing sounds low tone, so you know its iron. Why all of a sudden would you think "Hey! I'm gonna let iron blast thru as mid tone now in the 20 plus range. Wow, I cant wait!" What are they saying? Are they shifting down the iron discrimination numbers also? Are they? Will you now dig a mid tone sounding pull tab at say 25 even though 25 is well withing the iron low tone souding zone? Or will you dig a normally low tone rusty steel washer at say 28, which SHOULD sound off as low tone iron, but now it sounds like a mid tone goody? It just sounds gimmicky. And I like Garretts.

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
gleaner1 said:
batcap said:
gleaner1 said:
batcap said:
gleaner1 said:

batcap I don't consider you as being argumentative. There is no argument. Simply questions. I like the fact that you are willing to discuss. I don't understand Iron Audio. Iron Audio does two things, but neither of them is for helping the hard of hearing or the inexperienced detectorist. It's geared toward advanced users. They want to hear iron. Tone Roll has nothing to do with Iron Audio. Now, quoting from the brochure once again:

"IRON AUDIO: Allows users to hear discriminated iron (normally silenced)....AND.....to ALTER THE DETECTOR'S MID-TONE SIGNAL'S RANGE IN ORDER TO AVOID DIGGING UNDESIRED FERROUS TARGETS" (Sorry caps sensitive people, I don't know how to underline text here, NOT TRYING TO BE BELLIGERENT). I am stupefied about exactly what they mean about "altering" the detector's mid-tone range and how possibly this can help avoid digging undesired iron targets. I avoid digging undesired iron targets by not digging iron sounding targets. See where I'm going? Why make iron sound off as mid tone? You already know its iron cause you turned Iron Audio on, and the thing sounds low tone, so you know its iron. Why all of a sudden would you think "Hey! I'm gonna let iron blast thru as mid tone now in the 20 plus range. Wow, I cant wait!" What are they saying? Are they shifting down the iron discrimination numbers also? Are they? Will you now dig a mid tone sounding pull tab at say 25 even though 25 is well withing the iron low tone souding zone? Or will you dig a normally low tone rusty steel washer at say 28, which SHOULD sound off as low tone iron, but now it sounds like a mid tone goody? It just sounds gimmicky. And I like Garretts.
I'm reading you, but I don't understand your Garrett or any metal detector experience. I've only had a White's, a Garrett and a "Made in China". Flat iron fooled me w/all of them. The best way to avoid digging ferrous (sadly) is not to try to discriminate it out, but to let it sound off. That way you know when it's "trying to fake you out." Did you watch that AT Pro pt 3 vid on Youtube yet? I don't know who wrote the manual or how competent that person is. When the principal engineer and designer of the detecor is demonstrating it's features, you watch. Here's the link:

TomNWMI

Feb 5, 2006
NWMI
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Musketeer, Tek G2, Omega and a Fisher ID Edge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gleaner1 said:
batcap said:
gleaner1 said:
batcap said:
gleaner1 said:

If it's done right it will not be gimmicky. First you have to understand that there are many different types of discrimination systems being used in modern metal detectors. Peak, Sampled and Continuous just to name a few. Continuous systems are more like the older analog detectors where you can set the disc to just eliminate small iron/nails which helps to let non-ferrous co-located with iron sound off. Sometimes this will not be a clear beep on the non-ferrous target but different enough from the normal iron sounds that causes you to dig and investigate. If done properly the engineers may have given enough audio variation in the mid tone to be able to tell most iron from non-ferrous and let good targets that would not otherwise sound off due to the co-lcoate to come through.

Hope this helps.

Tom Z

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
batcap I just watched the video again and I am starting to see the light. Tom Z, whatever engineering they use concerning the scrim audio tweak, I agree it will be state of the art and top notch. I know Garrett would not sell something less than top notch and I apologize to EVERYONE for any reference to a gimmick. I lost control due to frustration with one aspect. Garrett fans have been itchin' for this machine for a long time. I am confident Garrett will not disappoint. The coil sold me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread