Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: Hers The Whole Series On The Garrett Pro - About An Hour Total

I don't think the tigershark or cz20/21 or any waterproof machines mention "salt" water-proof. Nobody questions these. It is assumed. Believe one thing, Garrett would never release a new waterproof machine with such a big investment unless it was fresh and salt water proof. It simply defies logic. It just could not happen. It would be a suicidal move in the industry. They know that no matter what, the machines will will hit the salt someday, and they are not going to be left pounding salt. Rolex watches and waterproof detectors are waterproof. I am curious exactly how they did it, with the phone plug and coil plug. Must be o-ring type I'm guessing.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: Hers The Whole Series On The Garrett Pro - About An Hour Total

gleaner1 said:
I don't think the tigershark or cz20/21 or any waterproof machines mention "salt" water-proof. Nobody questions these. It is assumed. Believe one thing, Garrett would never release a new waterproof machine with such a big investment unless it was fresh and salt water proof. It simply defies logic. It just could not happen. It would be a suicidal move in the industry. They know that no matter what, the machines will will hit the salt someday, and they are not going to be left pounding salt. Rolex watches and waterproof detectors are waterproof. I am curious exactly how they did it, with the phone plug and coil plug. Must be o-ring type I'm guessing.
Your right about the CZ 20/21 & Tesoro........ But a few don't care for Garrett and try to make a big deal out of nothing .

Attachments

72 KB · Views: 967
    72 KB · Views: 967

artyfacts

Bronze Member
May 1, 2010
South Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, MX7, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Here's The Whole Series On The Garrett Pro - About An Hour Total

My comments have nothing to do with water proofing. They state that its water proof to ten feet throughout the video that's very obvious. My comments have to do with working in the mineralization of a salt environment (electronics), they did not touch upon this enough to make it clear how it performs in the ocean. Guess I will wait for the reviews.

# Pro Mode Audio™: Proportional Audio and Tone Roll Audio™ features allow the user to hear characteristics of a target as they would in a True All-Metal Mode.
# High-Res Iron Discrimination™: Use touchpads to set iron discrimination in one of 40 levels for precise ability to separate good targets from trash.
# Digital Target ID: 0 to 99 Target ID scale offers increased ability to distinguish one target’s conductivity from another.
# Iron Audio™: Allows the user to hear discriminated iron and to alter the detector’s mid-tone signal’s range
# Fast Recovery Speed: Allows greater ability to pick out good targets amongst trash
# All Terrain Versatility: Weatherproof housing designed for dusty, humid or wet environments; unit can be submerged to a maximum 10-foot depth.
# 15 kHz frequency: improved detection of small targets, gold nuggets, jewelry
# Ground Balance: automatic and manually adjustable for improved performance
# Graphic Target Analyzer™ (GTA): identifies target’s conductivity
# Continuous Coin Depth Indicator: to determine target depth
# Battery Condition Indicator: shows battery life continually
# Search Modes (Discrimination Patterns): 6 plus electronic pinpointing Select from Custom, Zero or Coins in Standard Mode or in Professional Mode
# Pinpoint

Attachments

• at_pro_water.jpg
    at_pro_water.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 983

Fleeker

Jan 28, 2007
Hohenwald, Tn.
Detector(s) used
ATPro, GTI 1500, Ace 250 and a ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I quess if your concern is the corrosiveness of the saltwater on the machine, you could always do what a lot of people do after swimming in salt water, shower it off with fresh water, since after all it is water proof!

artyfacts

Bronze Member
May 1, 2010
South Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Fleeker said:
I quess if your concern is the corrosiveness of the saltwater on the machine, you could always do what a lot of people do after swimming in salt water, shower it off with fresh water, since after all it is water proof!
artyfacts said:
My comments have nothing to do with water proofing. They state that its water proof to ten feet throughout the video that's very obvious. My comments have to do with working in the mineralization of a salt environment (electronics), they did not touch upon this enough to make it clear how it performs in the ocean. Guess I will wait for the reviews.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

Fleeker said:
OK NOW go to beach & shallow water they found out that the AT Pro is A OK for salt water............. I never had any doubts.......& Fleeker...Good point ..... That should always be done no matter were you hunt.........

artyfacts

Bronze Member
May 1, 2010
South Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Emailed Garrett, This is there response,

Hello Art,

The AT Pro is a VLF detector so it is not designed specifically for saltwater operation like a Pulse Induction detector is. However it works very well on the wet beach and in the salt water when it is adjusted accordingly. It will work better than most other VLF detectors because of the DD coil and the ability to ground balance to saltwater.

The AT Pro is going to be a detector that you can used in just about any environment. I can’t wait until I can get one myself.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns

Brad Keel

Customer Service - Tech Support

Garrett Metal Detectors

Even if this detector doesn't pan out in the deep water for some stupid reason I would still be interested in a all weather detector. It has rained for two days now, I'm ready to stick a plastic bag over my DFX. I will wait for the reviews.

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO

Great set of videos. Is part 2 missing? Didn't see it on Youtube either.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

batcap said:
Great set of videos. Is part 2 missing? Didn't see it on Youtube either.
John has all 5 up number 2 is the one with Vaughan Garrett............

artyfacts

Bronze Member
May 1, 2010
South Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I also asked a second question of Garretts. What settings would you use in neck deep salt water? I hope the sensitivity setting is still partial to the lower numbers, (gold). Arty

Hello Art,

If you are going to use the AT Pro in salt water about neck deep. You will just need to make sure you adjust your sensitivity accordingly and also if needed you will need to ground balance the detector to the salt in the saltwater.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks, Brad Keel

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I liked the videos fine but the demo said he was comparing a steel bottle cap with a nickel. Most of the bottle caps I dig thinking they are coins are aluminum twist of type. I think only a few import beer bottles use steel caps now days. I wonder if he meant aluminum since it looked like aluminum? Monty

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other

Monty said:
I liked the videos fine but the demo said he was comparing a steel bottle cap with a nickel. Most of the bottle caps I dig thinking they are coins are aluminum twist of type. I think only a few import beer bottles use steel caps now days. I wonder if he meant aluminum since it looked like aluminum? Monty

Monty, modern beer crown caps are still steel, whether twist off or pry off. The bigger size beer bottles, say quart size, have the threaded aluminum caps.

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You would think out of all the guys that tested and reviewed this detector, Someone took it in the ocean. As this remains a question, it is either the most overlooked use of this detector or it was purposely not included because of low performance in salt water. The hardest environment would be in salt water, if it could even perform adequately that would be a great selling point.

Can anyone one who tested this detector please tell us if anything was said or discovered about its capabilities in salt water, not just dry and wet sand?

To Garrett , I live near the ocean, Send my one to try and I will report exactly what I find.

Ed D.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

You see i don't live near the salt water so to me the detector would be great.............I think that only about 6% of ones that use detectors are near salt water......

Attachments

• SM2VHS-2.jpg
    SM2VHS-2.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 662

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
ATPro in salt water

Glad I watched the videos before going out with the ATPro. Reading the manual is a must lots of practice and learning your new machine will yield good finds.
My first day out with the ATPro was to search for a platinum wedding set. I adjusted the ATPro to notch out everything but the platinum ring I had 55. I opened the window to "see" 50 to 60. 45 minutes into the search I got my first signal, a solid 51, and the diamond ring came up. The next signal also 51 was the band. The rings were about 8+ inches down in a 4-5 foot snow bank. A Whites detector was rendered useless by the AC/RFI in the area. An Excalibur could not "hear" either signal. Score two for the ATPro.
My first day in salt water less than knee deep and not having ground balanced the ATPro properly was fruitless. With three different detectors in use for 3 hours yielded very little. The Whites Surf PI scored the most coins - 6, Excalibur 2 and ATPro nothing.
More reading, testing and I headed back to the salt water. In 5 feet of water after 3 hours of picking up some change and usual fishing tackle I was about ready to leave because I was getting cold - water temp 38, air temp 29. Just as I started for the shore the ATPro locked up 54 and a solid 10+ depth indication. The signal was a size 14 - 14K man's white gold band.
The third day at the beach was all wet sand. I found several coins, no jewelery but with 28 degree temp and 30knot winds I did not last long. I did find a very large band of hot rocks. I have yet to investigate what happens when the rock dries out. Tomorrow will be another day at/in the salt water.
Before leaving the shore I rinse the ATPro with fresh tap water and clean the machine whan I return home.
I find myself looking at the meter of the ATPro more than just digging as I would when using my Infinium. Is there a comparision? Somewhere but for now I will only say: each machine has it's strong points and its own nitch. You will just have to figure what your needs are and what machine suits your needs.
Good Luck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread