Comparison 250 Vs other brands

floodcitykid

Nov 3, 2008
Appomattox coVirginia
Detector(s) used
whites eagle spectrum
fisher gold bug
I'm thinking about buying the Garret 250 I was wondering if anybody is doing any relic hunting with this machine and what kind of depth you are getting. I would consider a good machine one that can "read" a 58 cal at 10 inches.

I am going to be using it in Virginia, Maryland, Penna and eventually the minalized soil of the Philippines.

THanks in advance

The flood city kid

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since the 250 has a preset ground balance it would not be the best choice for what you want. A few better choices would be a Tesoro Tejon or Minelab SOV GT. I use both these detectors when I am not in the water. Both will easily pick up that bullet at 10 inches. However neither these detectors have a screen that tells you what you MIGHT HAVE. There are other good choices too. You should look into the ACE 350 and AT PRO if you want to stick with Garrett.

It is best if you find a dealer that isn't to far away from you so you can test which one you like better. Don't plan on playing with them in the store and then ordering one online because the prices will be the same and with mail order you get UPS to toss the box around. Not good for electronics. Besides this is down right rude.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good advice from Sandman....Unless your currently in the Philippines like your profile shows I would certainly check out your local dealer...I have been in Philippines, wife is Filipino, I would look for detecter for where you are now, then think about a waterproof on for Philippines....True the average Fhilipinos are poor, but there are a lot of nice tourist beaches there where the rich go to play.....Cebu comes to mind and I would love to hunt the beaches on Cebu as well as the other islands...Philippines has some of the most beautiful beaches and women in the world....

A short video of some beaches in Philippines....

OP
OP
floodcitykid

floodcitykid

Nov 3, 2008
Appomattox coVirginia
Detector(s) used
whites eagle spectrum
fisher gold bug
Treasure_Hunter said:
Good advice from Sandman....Unless your currently in the Philippines like your profile shows I would certainly check out your local dealer...I have been in Philippines, wife is Filipino, I would look for detecter for where you are now, then think about a waterproof on for Philippines....True the average Fhilipinos are poor, but there are a lot of nice tourist beaches there where the rich go to play.....Cebu comes to mind and I would love to hunt the beaches on Cebu as well as the other islands...Philippines has some of the most beautiful beaches and women in the world....

A short video of some beaches in Philippines....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTGLoydxUKM

yeah, I live near Cebu city, friend of mine beach hunts a lot(whites), finds some gold and some rings.

GB helps in this INSANE soil.

Most of my digging is in fields, I have an old Japanese railroad line near my house that is usually planted in corn another in Abaca, going to be going up north Cebu to the Japanese surrender grounds, made a friend with somebody who owns land near there, lots of battles and camp sites.

Anyhow, I may go with the 350 for the price.

Thanks to all who responded

Flood city Kid

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'll second the Tesoro Tejon. The ace might pick up a .58 at ten inches with a bigger coil. The Tejon would certainly nail it. Especially, if you run it in all-metal mode. I've relic hunted with both and have way more confidence in the Tejon. But, like they say. The stuff is where you find it. Old isn't always deep.

-Swartzie

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you're on a limited budget, a Tesoro Silver uMax with a 12x10 coil is reputed to offer exceptional depth for your relic hunting.

kando

Nov 14, 2008
,U.S.A. almost in Canada
Detector(s) used
....Tesoro conquistador , minelab sovereign
I just saw something in the forum that i thought was a great deal.............I saw that they discontiued the*** Bounty Hunter Time Ranger >>>A detector that a lot paid up to $600.00 for a short time ago>>> Now selling at Meiger for $149.00 with 2 coils a 8" coil and a 4" Gold prosrecting coil >>>> just go to www.meijer.com and type in metal detector after you get to there web site..... I also saw were Kellyco was selling the Time Ranger for $379.00 with only one coil why higher than any one else..since it has been discontiued

The Master Chief

Jan 10, 2005
CA
Detector(s) used
Mine Lab Equinox 800/Mine Lab Gold Monster 1000/ Mine Lab Pro Find 35/Garrett GTI 2500 and Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Speak with the dealers and check the machines out. Also take into account people on here that use the machines. For every bad report there is always 3 good reports.

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Smudge said:
If you're on a limited budget, a Tesoro Silver uMax with a 12x10 coil is reputed to offer exceptional depth for your relic hunting.

I can vouch for that combo, but no GB (at least not without voiding the warranty) if needed...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions