Some Interesting Comparison Data GTI 2500 + ACE 150 + ACE 250 + AT Pro

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
I did some more air tests. All tests performed on same set up in room, with a moderate swing speed of the target. Reading were measured at the most notable repeating audio signal, rounded off to the nearest half inch. The GTI 2500 used the true all metal mode & the others zero discrimination.

No real surprises, except that SNIPER COIL gets exceptional depth. I knew from my own experience that the depth was good, but I never actually measured the depth in any way. I am going to have to get me one for the AT Pro.
And, as in all air tests, they were done for comparison reasons only. Depths expected out in the field will vary considerably, due to (but not limited to) the following:

-Mineralization
-Moisture
-how target is orientated in the soil
-human error

Attachments

• comaparisons.jpg
    comaparisons.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 4,404

ThTx

Dec 19, 2006
Combine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, John. Kinda reaffirms my faith in Garrett!

The Master Chief

Jan 10, 2005
CA
Detector(s) used
Mine Lab Equinox 800/Mine Lab Gold Monster 1000/ Mine Lab Pro Find 35/Garrett GTI 2500 and Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
John, Great data and really enjoying your posts. You take the guess work out of metal detecting. :hello2: :headbang:

Old River

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2007
Texas, Old River Winfree
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett 2500, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett AT PRO, Garrett ADS Master hunter, Garret Pro Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Been using the GTI 2500 for some time now. I am well satisfied with it. Had considered buying the AT Pro. Thanks for the chart, and info. Happy New Year.....

CaptainRobin

Mar 14, 2006
The Peach State
Detector(s) used
Whatever it takes to get the coon.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Sir John! That's data I really appreciate. The Pro is looking GOOD for PMs. Not really interested in relics.
Robin

Find4me

Tenderfoot
Oct 17, 2010
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Nice chart! I find it interesting that the AT Pro in standard mode is similar in depth to the Ace 250. I would like to see same chart but with the 8.5 x 11 coil on the Ace 250.

OP
OP
John-Edmonton

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Find4me said:
Nice chart! I find it interesting that the AT Pro in standard mode is similar in depth to the Ace 250. I would like to see same chart but with the 8.5 x 11 coil on the Ace 250.

And the tones are similar too. It's a fantastic machine for both experienced and new people just getting into the hobby.

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Ace 250, Garrett 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
John would be interested in your thoughts comparing the Ace 250, and the AT Pro, as far as ease of use, weight, so forth..I love my little 250, cuz it has no learning curve, I just turn it on, and go....I am just about sold on getting an AT Pro...will it be easy going from the Ace to the At??? anything you might want to add comparing the two (sound, Feel, depth, etc) would be most appreciated, Thanks, Tom BTW, im gettin kinda hyped up about searching the edges of some rivers, and lakes near here The AT might just be the ticket for that....

OP
OP
John-Edmonton

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
gallileo60 said:
John would be interested in your thoughts comparing the Ace 250, and the AT Pro, as far as ease of use, weight, so forth..I love my little 250, cuz it has no learning curve, I just turn it on, and go....I am just about sold on getting an AT Pro...will it be easy going from the Ace to the At??? anything you might want to add comparing the two (sound, Feel, depth, etc) would be most appreciated, Thanks, Tom BTW, im gettin kinda hyped up about searching the edges of some rivers, and lakes near here The AT might just be the ticket for that....

I think getting the AT pro already Gets you an ACE 350 in the standard mode plus you get a machine with the PRO mode which is deeper and has great discrimination abilities, especially with bottle caps. It's like getting 2 detectors in one. Plus it's water proof also. The weights are not too far apart, with the ACE coming in at 2.8 lbs. and the AT Pro at 3.03 lbs. The audio sounds are similar in standard mode, including the belltone. But different in Pro mode, in that you can program how much iron you actually want to disc out and the deeper the targets are, the quieter they sound.

Attachments

• at_pro_international_controls[1]_(2).jpg
    at_pro_international_controls[1]_(2).jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 1,099
  • at_pro_international_controls[1]_(2).jpg
    at_pro_international_controls[1]_(2).jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 930

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Ace 250, Garrett 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man , I want an AT Pro so bad, I can taste it...I LOVE MY ACE 250, and WATER PROOF, OH YES...............Income tax time is near...Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy.........If this thing really goes just a little deeper than the Ace, and is just as easy to use...WOW.............

OP
OP
John-Edmonton

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
gallileo60 said:
Man , I want an AT Pro so bad, I can taste it...I LOVE MY ACE 250, and WATER PROOF, OH YES...............Income tax time is near...Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy.........If this thing really goes just a little deeper than the Ace, and is just as easy to use...WOW.............

It will go deeper then the ACE...trust me. I wish I had an ACE 350 to test and add my results to that histagram camparison of metal detectors....

TOPER

Feb 5, 2011
Detector(s) used
ace! Dreaming about AT Pro
with the 9x12 coil on the Ace 250 the results will be better :hello:

Daedalus

Feb 2, 2011
Strafford , Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT / MineLab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Garrett Makes some very good machines! That is no doubt.
I am going to get an Garrett AT-PRO as soon as I can , I want that one to be able to get into the water and not worry about it. And I can loan it to my Son so he can go hunting , now that he is back from Iraq .

Between my Minelab X-TERRA 705 and the Garrett AT-PRO I should not have to worry about going hunting anywhere I want. With in reason that is.
And by the time I have the money saved for the Garret there should be a good used one about to buy.

OP
OP
John-Edmonton

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Daedalus said:
Garrett Makes some very good machines! That is no doubt.
I am going to get an Garrett AT-PRO as soon as I can , I want that one to be able to get into the water and not worry about it. And I can loan it to my Son so he can go hunting , now that he is back from Iraq .

Between my Minelab X-TERRA 705 and the Garrett AT-PRO I should not have to worry about going hunting anywhere I want. With in reason that is.
And by the time I have the money saved for the Garret there should be a good used one about to buy.

That water proof issue is a real asset on a machine.

Terry(Mi)

Greenie
Jan 29, 2011
Find4me said:

well ....except for the nearly 4" difference on the gold ring ....and its waterproof *hint* ....

John, It would be interesting to see the comps vs the 2500 utilizing disc mode ;)

jswillis24

Tenderfoot
Dec 27, 2004
West Columbia, SC
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Great post I was asking in another post about the 250, I had a lot of hit in one area today in the gold to silver range and the depth was 6" I dug down in the area to 6" and check again still said 6", tomorrow I will be digging in the area more. After seeing your data I am very excited!

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I will do it if your place is located in Ohio.

Andy Nunez

Nov 19, 2015
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540 or Garrett Ace 400 with a Cors Cannon coil and Z-lynk, Predator Piranha shovel, White's TRX pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am looking at the depth chart and thinking, well, I have an ACE 350, so in standard mode, the AT-Pro isn't significantly better. I got talked into the 350 and its a great machine. I like the features on the Pro, especially the VDI and frequency shift. Since they are going to be incorporated into the 400, except for being waterproof, is the Pro going to remain competitive with the 400 or is it getting jacked up too? I see folks with NEL coils, for example, and wonder why Garrett can't come up with a coil that would be standard for the Pro that would get the depth like these NEL coils do. There must be a trade-off somewhere, a downside. Just random thoughts...I write a Rookie column for my club newsletter (Shore Seekers) and I ruminate on things to suggest to newbies about getting the most out of their machines, whatever machine they have. This is my 3rd Garrett and more and more the brand appeals to me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread