I Hunted In The Cold Dark, But Light Of The Silvery Moon

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
gov.jpg
I drove my wife to work this morning. It was well before sunrise, and on the way home, I hunted a couple of hills. The first hour was spent in almost complete darkness, except for the luminous snow partially lit up from the 1/2 moon that was shining under an otherwise clear sky. It was quite cold, with the ambient temperature showing -18, however with the wind factor, it was more like -25. I ended up with some icicles on my mustache and beard directly below my nose.

The AT Pro is starting to convey it's subtle messages. I can tell a shallow coin from a deep one just by the tone. The depth readout is very accurate, as 2-4 centimeters is shallow, and based on the tone audio is almost always a coin. Our dimes give off that low iron grunt, and if you raise the coil another 5-6 inches and play with the signal, you start to get some belltone sounds. Our quarters, if lying at or near horizontal, give a nice belltone and give a numerical digital readout of about 74 to 78 with a stable audio signal. If they are not lying horizontal, you get a mixed belltone with an iron grunt. I tend to dig most of my signals anyways, as it costs my nothing but about 30 seconds of my time. The more junk I dig....the more I learn about the audio on this machine. And I should mention, that for snow hunting, I hunt in the standard mode. It just works better with our common coins.

Below is a find from this morning. It was buried about 4 inches, and after it warmed up in my pocket, I got it to work.

Attachments

• zippo.jpg
    zippo.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 209

olegoat

Oct 18, 2007
southeast tn
Detector(s) used
fisher 1220x,gc-1023,tesoro tejon , fisher f-2, compass yukon 77b, tesoro bandito 11 umax
i know you are having fun and i allways enjoy your posts but
something about you is :dontknow:not quite right-lol

OP
OP
John-Edmonton

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
olegoat said:
i know you are having fun and i allways enjoy your posts but
something about you is :dontknow:not quite right-lol

It's called "CABIN FEVER".....it can make a grown man howl! :angry4:

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Wait One Minute!

From posted videos, I comprehend your term "Iron grunt", I think. But there is no iron in Canadian coins, right? It's one thing for a detector to allow iron to masquerade as a non-ferrous metal -- I get plenty of that w/my Ace 250. It's a whole different ball of wax for it to cry "Iron!" if it isn't there.

Anyone?

stryker-one

Aug 10, 2007
Independence, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Scorpion Gold Stinger and Tesoro Silver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok John,

I have my Gold Scorp--which I really like. For my international traveling machine I have a Tesoro Silver, it works very well, I understand it when it talks to me ( :laughing7:) and it is very small and easy to take everywhere I go. The Question

I want an AT Pro type machine. Should I jump out there and get one or just stick with what I got? I like the idea of being able to have the newer style screen and all. I'll be keeping my other two machines also.

Thanks
Stryker

OP
OP
John-Edmonton

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
batcap said:
Wait One Minute!

From posted videos, I comprehend your term "Iron grunt", I think. But there is no iron in Canadian coins, right? It's one thing for a detector to allow iron to masquerade as a non-ferrous metal -- I get plenty of that w/my Ace 250. It's a whole different ball of wax for it to cry "Iron!" if it isn't there.

Anyone?

Our coins as of late (nickels, dime, quarters) are nickel plate over steel. So they either give off a low grunt, especially the dimes, or a bell tone depending how they are are lying in the ground and how long. They are the toughest to properly ID. Some metal detectors barely read them at all. So far, the best machine for picking them up that I have used is the Scorpion.

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
John-Edmonton said:
batcap said:
Wait One Minute!

Anyone?

Our coins as of late (nickels, dime, quarters) are nickel plate over steel. So they either give off a low grunt, especially the dimes, or a bell tone depending how they are are lying in the ground and how long. They are the toughest to properly ID. Some metal detectors barely read them at all. So far, the best machine for picking them up that I have used is the Scorpion.

You can pick up these new coins with a magnet? That seems so wrong, unless I was desperate enough to go fishing with a magnet in a wishing well.

The Master Chief

Jan 10, 2005
CA
Detector(s) used
Mine Lab Equinox 800/Mine Lab Gold Monster 1000/ Mine Lab Pro Find 35/Garrett GTI 2500 and Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Hunt John.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread