Lots Of Great Talent On This Forum..."WHAT DO/DID YOU DO FOR A LIVING?????"

AKiwi

Aug 4, 2005
Hastings, NZ
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 500
Re: Lots Of Great Talent On This Forum..."WHAT DO/DID YOU DO FOR A LIVING?????"

Worked as a Telecommunication Tech for 25yrs, now have my own business as a windoware guy.
The Guy that comes around to your home to install Blinds, awnings, drapes, swags and tails, actually....anything that the woman wants hung on or above a window.
Never worked harder in my life!
Been detecting with my trusty Garrett now 6yrs.... and love it
Cheers

Euqinu

Mar 1, 2011
Fort Myers, Fl
Detector(s) used
Sov. GT, Compadre

New to TN and MD :hello:. Corrections Officer (7 1/2 years). Married (once) and have four youngins or yutes (as joe pesci calls them). Looking to buy my first detector and really get my hands dirty! Leaning towards an AT PRO. until then...

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other

Industrial and military electronics background, I worked for a defense contractor building sonobouys for the US Navy for 10 years.
Now I climb telephone poles, shoot land line trouble, and solve business and residential communication/internet problems working for Ma Bell.

jswillis24

Tenderfoot
Dec 27, 2004
West Columbia, SC
Detector(s) used
ACE 250

US Navy for four years in Operations, rest of my 18.5 years full time Army National Guard Infantry and Combat Engineer...multiple combat deployments (medically retired)...Youth sports coach for 10 years...father and husband!

BobInFla

Oct 7, 2010
Leesburg, FL
Detector(s) used
1970's model Garrett Master Hunter, AT Pro

As a teenager I traveled around the Chicago area with a carnival for 5 summers. In a different town every week. For a kid from a small town in Florida that was a real eye opener to the rest of the world. The next 44 years I worked as an accountant at various jobs. Managed 2 different offices for H & R Block. Also worked several part-time jobs selling insurance, as a P I, selling mutual funds, selling cemetery lots. Anything I could do to make a buck. Most of my life I worked 2 jobs and sometimes 3. On my last job, as an financial officer for a small local government, the politics got to be too much. I worked there for 28 years but got tired of training a new boss every 5-6 years. They would always hire some green kid (30-35) with a pile of credentials but no practical experience to run our department. Finally I had enough when they hired the last one. He started replacing our staff with his cronies so i knew it was just a matter of time. I had planned to work until I was 66 but was unable to contain myself when I had to keep correcting his mistakes.

Leaving that job was the best move I have ever made. I have been retired for almost 3 years now and enjoying every minute of it. Now I spend my time helping my son with his horses, shooting pool with friends and now getting back into metal detecting. I have been divorced for over 25 years so I have to answer to no one. Life is good.

nfunk

Dec 23, 2005
LaPlace Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, ACE 250

Twenty three years in the natural gas business as an engineer and manager. Now IT Analyst for Louisiana State University Health Science Center.

gunntekk1

Mar 19, 2005
Newport PA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Discovery 2200 and ACE 250, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Was a U.S. Navy Aviation Ordnanceman for 10 yrs. IFYAOYAS
got out and worked security, then worked for GS Electric, Vaccuumn cleaner motors assembly line
Security for a mall
AU inc as a Goldsmith, quit there
Walmart jewelry counter
Sterling Jewelers they own Kays, Beldens, etc.. as a Jewelry repair person
got laid off
Self employed as Miller and Weinstein Bench Jewelers LLC
s if you need work on your jewelry we are located in Harrisburg Pa 717-540-1488

n3tuf

Mar 4, 2008
Glen Mills,PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett ACE 400, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Started detecting around age 14, Worked at the Franklin Mint for 20 years mostly in Security Department. Now Manager of one of the largest Locksmith Shops in Delaware County,PA. Certified in 1972 as a Scuba Diver. Worked with Archaeologists doing Surveys with Metal Detectors and digs. I love Paleontology and have used Scuba off Venice,FL finding Meg teeth 5" long. Also have worked part time as Professional Wedding Photographer and Video Production. Design web pages for business and personal use. Also like Harley's and Hang Gliders. In 2008 founded Southeastern Pennsylvania Historical Recovery Group (www.SPHRG.com) with now over 60 members. Also member of Marcus Hook Plank House Crew (Pirate Reenactors) http://www.plankhousecrew.com/bosun.html.

Attachments

• WoodyMD.jpg
    WoodyMD.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 1,169
  • DiveB24x6.jpg
    DiveB24x6.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 1,151
  • fcwoody4x6.jpg
    fcwoody4x6.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 1,178
  • HangGliding4x6.jpg
    HangGliding4x6.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 1,163
  • smgreyfox.jpg
    smgreyfox.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 1,167

clearblk

Greenie
Mar 21, 2011

Work in the signal dept. for a major railroad. 35 years on the job and got a metal detector to take into retirement with me. 34 years in the field and just found a desk job and now I need some activity. Did a lot of RR construction and then worked my way into inspection. 3rd generation working for the road.

slarter

Dec 23, 2009
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500

25 years in the US Marines as an Explosive Ordnance Disposal technician, retired in 2006. Now I work for the DoD testing and evaluating ordnance and weapons systems.

Lakemonster

Mar 20, 2011
Chandler Tx
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Garrett AT PRO, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

LOL!!!!!!

Kiwi... got the same job. Window Treatment Installer is my official title. In reality... I fix decorator/designers mistakes.

Too many women with too many opinions. I expect I will be certifiable in a few short years.

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Electrical designer for a consulting engineering firm. I do all aspects of lighting and power layouts for buildings, new and renovation work...

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other

Retired Machine Repair Tech.27years at Pratt&Whitney.Now all I do is METAL DETECT LAND/WATER

bdhoward

Apr 27, 2011
NW PA
Detector(s) used
Garret GTI 1500/Minelab Safari

I'm a machinist. I run a CNC Mill and Lathe. I work with metal all day. I used to work in the foundry where I would pour varios types of iron into casting molds. Prior to that I was a coal miner and also servrd in the U.S. Army. HH. Bryan H.

wslong

May 24, 2011

I was in the Air Force in telecommunications then got out and got into the IT industry. I have been a software developer but now am a mainframe systems programmer for a large credit union. Got re-hooked on MDing lately. Just need more free time to hunt.

Chocadog

Feb 3, 2010
Roanoke, Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola, Minelab Safari, Garrett GTI2000, Garrett250

I was a golf professional and developed arthritis and had to quit golf. Then I got into the oil and transportation business, born in England but very happy to be living in the greatest country in the world with the greatest people in the world, the United States of America.

[/quote]

cbcstamp

Jul 25, 2011

I was in the US Navy 1966-70. Had a ball. aircrews chief torpedo bombers. played hoops for the Navy. went to college. Became a field service technician on elevators. Had a wonderful carrier for 31 grand and glorious years. Retired in 2001, started a legal consulting venture. have been a postage stamp dealer for 40 years. Started metal detecting in 2010. Never looked back. Got hooked right off the bat. Hunt about 2-4 hours most every day. I have a reason and look forward to getting up everyday to go detecting. The world is beautiful when you watch the sun come up. I have 3 beautiful grand children, successful kids and a very understanding wife. It dosen't get any better than that.

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000

Golf Course Superintendent for over 10 years. Not as fun as it sounds. Backbreaking, hot as hell, exposure to dangerous chemicals, and long hours. Only days you knew you were going to get off were Christmas and possibly Thanksgiving.

Laid off 1 week before Christmas in '08.

Currently back in school studying to be a history teacher. Working part time and operating a booth at the local antique mall.

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

hombre_de_plata_flaco said:
Golf Course Superintendent for over 10 years. Not as fun as it sounds. Backbreaking, hot as hell, exposure to dangerous chemicals, and long hours. Only days you knew you were going to get off were Christmas and possibly Thanksgiving.

Laid off 1 week before Christmas in '08.

Currently back in school studying to be a history teacher. Working part time and operating a booth at the local antique mall.

Going by your avatar you've aged a bit. But can you autograph my picture? :laughing9:

Attachments

• Hombre_caddyshack_groundhog.jpg
    Hombre_caddyshack_groundhog.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 864

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread