AT PRO

Coinzapper

Dec 7, 2008
Lansford. PA.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 Modified, Tesoro Tejon. Garrett 1500, Fisher CoinStrike, Tek G2, tek omega.
what is the sense of putting an extra feature like a number scale evaluating defferent metal or conductivity when it cannot distinguish between a quarter and a bottle cap? Quarter reads on 25 cents mark usually most of the time reading 85. And bottle cap hits on quarter also but reads the same as the quarter 85? What is the sence?

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is one of the great misgivings about TID screens. The detector is trying to interpret what is under the ground and will give you its best guess. The benefit of the TID screen is that it helps to narrow the possibilities of what you have passed your coil over. The tab may mark "quarter" and the number may indicate something different.

But there is a third part of the equation: the tone.

You will notice that a quarter bangs sharp and clear every time you pass the coil over it. The bottlecap may give a strong signal, but you'll also likely notice that there is a more washed out sound at the end of your pass. That is a good warning you've got a bottlecap.

It could be worse. Pull tabs don't give you that washed out tone so if you don't dig every one, you might be missing a gold ring.

OP
OP
Coinzapper

Coinzapper

Dec 7, 2008
Lansford. PA.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 Modified, Tesoro Tejon. Garrett 1500, Fisher CoinStrike, Tek G2, tek omega.
if your in the PRO mode and pass over a quarter and a bottle cap, which sound is primary?

gravediggermax-vabeachva

Bronze Member
Nov 24, 2005
va beach, va
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
se pro, excal. II, ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
zapper

after u dig enough of them, u will be able to kinda tell.......now the deep ones are really tricky and will fool most detectors.

i had a tesoro popcorn detector not long ago......compadre..........no meter, but on shallow caps she was the best i had ever used for not digging caps..........then along came the at pro.........to me this is the best bottle cap discriminating detector i have used for working the beach and trying to not dig caps.

granted it gets fooled on the deep ones, but if u take it slow when u hit the 85 number and move around it and listen to the difference u will not dig many caps...........the problem with caps.......the newer ones are all coated with nickel for some reason and they are round and sound really good...........kinda like pull tabs.............just part of doing business with a detector........quarters sound good and SOLID......solid being the key word, as do nickels and dimes.........pennies here get cruded up fast in the damp sand and they sound great, but give a different sound to me ........not like most pennies.

my excalibur loves bottle caps, whereas my se pro loves them, but i can almost tell the shallow ones with it...........

JMHO

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On both of my Excals I can usually tell if they are bottlecaps by doing the wiggle, but on the caps that are very corroded or the very old style of caps, they are harder to tell. I don't really dig very many bottlecaps, but pulltabs are another story...

synthnut

Mar 8, 2010
Nyack NY
There's a different VID line on the E Trac ....I NEVER dig bottle caps with the E Trac .......I'm getting to know the AT Pro and it comes in 2nd in the "No bottle cap" contest ......I'll get better with it though .....B Caps will give you a slightly different tone than a quarter will ....Quarters do not waver ....They hit harder than B Caps ....Jim

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Treasure_Hunter said:
On both of my Excals I can usually tell if they are bottlecaps by doing the wiggle, but on the caps that are very corroded or the very old style of caps, they are harder to tell. I don't really dig very many bottlecaps, but pulltabs are another story...
You did the minelab Wiggle..*******

Attachments

• wiggle.gif
    wiggle.gif
    16.3 KB · Views: 299
  • wiggle.gif
    wiggle.gif
    16.3 KB · Views: 279

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Coinzapper said:
if your in the PRO mode and pass over a quarter and a bottle cap, which sound is primary?

In PRO mode you get a low-high-low tone. A quarter just gives you a high tone most times.

JG

Nov 15, 2006
Jiggle the coil on a bottle cap and the AT PRO will let you know.
Try it out on a quarter too, you will know what to do.

Zincs are weird in any state of decomposition.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread