New guy, some advice.

CollegeKevin

Tenderfoot
Feb 6, 2011
Millersville, PA
How's it going everyone. My names Kevin and I am a student at Millersville University in PA. I am a new guy to hunting and metal detectors in general. I have done some research and am trying to decide between the Garrett Ace 250 and the Garrett AT Pro. I like the 250 because of the price but am worried that I might outgrow it and want something a little more. I guess what I am asking is whether or not I should just put the money up for the newer AT Pro or if I should just start off with the Ace 250. I am not the type that losses interest in things so I know its not something I would buy and just use once.

*I hope I'm posting in the right section. Thanks for your guys advice in advance. ;D

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Kevin,

Welcome aboard!

I would not worry about outgrowing a 250. You see an awful lot of people have used theirs for quite some time and have been making some fantastic finds.

The better technology of the AT Pro is a plus, though.

If you were regularly planning on going beach hunting, I'd shell out the extra cash and get the AT.

From what I can see, the biggest plus to the AT, besides being waterproof, is the pinpointing is better and in PRO mode you can actually tell the difference between a bottle cap and quarter, something much harder to do with the 250.

What does everyone else think?

CWnut

May 9, 2003
E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tigershark----Tesoro Conquistador Umax------Fisher FX-3----Master Hunter CX-Plus w/ depth multiplier
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
look at the ace 350 before you decide...

welcome to Tnet and metal detecting hobby, best of luck to ya

coin hunter

Jan 13, 2008
Sidney, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett,1500 , 2500, AT PRO, Garrett Pin pointer,AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My son has a 250 and after a year he end up buying a larger coil much like the 350s' coil. It goes now a lot deeper and covers a larger area. At the time he bought his first detector there was no such thing as a 350 or AT pro. 250s go for about $212 and the 350s are around $290. I think you would be much happier with the 350 over all. As far as the At pro its a little more complicated to use. I not so sure you'll find any less with the 350 but may find the AT pro a little complicated to begin with. Then again my first detector was a 1500 and I got threw it.

dogpound

Sep 24, 2010
southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
i'd suggest gettin the best you can afford, you'll be much happier and won't have the urge to upgrade in a year or earlier. what ever ya do don't go cheap with something from wallyworld.

JG

Nov 15, 2006
Hey Kevin,
I just looked at the Garrett Buyers Guide and it is a tough question to answer. I like Dogpound’s answer.

The good thing is the bang for the buck margin is good for the two machines and the AT PRO is quite a good value as is the 250. The 350 has the new coil, higher frequency and an expanded iron range that will help out quite a bit. Another exceptional Garrett value.

Keep your schooling first and get some snow shovel accounts lined up to pave the way. Look for plowed in cars, it's good money and easier than driveways for some quick cash.

60 @ $10.00
40 @ $15.00
30 @ $20.00,....
1 @ $600.00 HH
You might also consider a used unit if you can find one.

OP
OP
C

CollegeKevin

Tenderfoot
Feb 6, 2011
Millersville, PA
Thanks for all the help and friendly welcoming. I am leaning towards the AT Pro because I will be using it on a river bank by my school and if for some reason I drop the unit in the water or water gets splashed on it I wont have any worries. I still have a couple weeks to decide for I do not want to have to dig several inches of ice and snow before I hit ground. Maybe by then I might also be able to pick up a used unit for a few less dollars. I cant wait to see what I find down by the river even though Im sure it will mostly be empty buried beer cans, tabs, and bottle caps. :laughing7:

dogpound

Sep 24, 2010
southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
i think you made a good choice and good luck. just do some research on the area and maybe see if there are any swimmin holes around there, i'd be detecting around the college....drunk students=lost rings :laughing9:

OP
OP
C

CollegeKevin

Tenderfoot
Feb 6, 2011
Millersville, PA
Just came in. It came with a dust cover for the search coil but I couldnt find anything in the manual about using the detector with the search coil dust cover on or off?

dogpound

Sep 24, 2010
southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
you can use it on or off, its just to protect the coil from gettin knicked up. now it won't protect it from hard wacks on rocks but it will keep the coil lookin nice. i'm doin the bedliner spray on my coils, that way i don't gotta take off the coil covers to clean them out.

OP
OP
C

CollegeKevin

Tenderfoot
Feb 6, 2011
Millersville, PA
So here's my first time out with my new AT Pro. Was to excited to read the manual before trying it out, but I did come across some stuff down by the river. Found a Schaefer's beer cap, a 1923 Pennsylvania license plate, a bullet, a 22 shell, couple tabs, and some kind of metal anchor. I also found a round white ball with like an L in it. Not sure what it is.

Attachments

• 182224_630920947560_35904922_35493857_1244702_n.jpg
    182224_630920947560_35904922_35493857_1244702_n.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 167
  • ball.jpg
    ball.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 165

JG

Nov 15, 2006
Oh, he is hooked now. :icon_pirat:

That is one L of a ball! :laughing7:

You are so spoiled on your first machine, you have no idea.

Fun hobby ain't it?

OP
OP
C

CollegeKevin

Tenderfoot
Feb 6, 2011
Millersville, PA
I think it more of an addiction besides just me. My 3 buddies came out with me and they couldn't wait to dig up the next bottle tab. I do need a better shovel though. I bought a hard plastic one at Walmart for $1 yesterday and it just didnt last. LOL. I will check out Lowes or Home Depot tomorrow for a better one.

dogpound

Sep 24, 2010
southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
congrats, once ya get some more time in the AT you'll be able to tell from the tones if something is iron and dig alot less pulltabs and trash items....unless ya want to. lowes has a decent diggin tool for 14 bucks, its the ames 7 in 1 diggin tool that works very good. but if your lookin for one of the best diggin tools get a lesche diggin tool. pm me and i'll let ya know where you can get one for 30 bucks w/free shipping.......they normally run over 40 bucks + shipping. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions