AT Pro: im confused......

Terrafisher

Nov 2, 2008
Spring, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ProPointer
AT Pro: i'm confused......

I have heard a lot of good things about these machines, yet so many people seem to be selling them after only having them for a couple of weeks or a month or so. WHY?

Is there something wrong with this machine that we aren't being told? In just the past month, there have already been 5 or 6 listed in the classifieds that are being resold by new owners.

I made a great deal on one myself, but i'm still curious... why are so many people selling them after such a short time? I know they had a falsing issue, but Garrett is supposed to be taking care of that under warranty. Other than that, all the test results look great. I was even impressed with the recovery time as shown on youtube.

Anyone have comments? Just seems odd is all........

Thanks!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: AT Pro: i'm confused......

Terrafisher said:
I have heard a lot of good things about these machines, yet so many people seem to be selling them after only having them for a couple of weeks or a month or so.

Is there something wrong with this machine that we aren't being told? In just the past month, there have already been 5 or 6 listed in the classifieds that are being resold by new owners.

I made a great deal on one myself, but i'm still curious... why are so many people selling them after such a short time? I know they had a falsing issue, but Garrett is supposed to be taking care of that under warranty. Other than that, all the test results look great. I was even impressed with the recovery time as shown on youtube.

Anyone have comments? Just seems odd is all........

Thanks!

I don't own one or have ever used one, but I suspect it is like other machines. I suspect it has nothing to do with the detector having issues, rather it is the nuances of the detector itself.

People buy it then decide it is not the one for them. Most of the people I see selling them either have another detector or several more, or have been in the hobby awhile, owned several detectors and know what they like, and don't like about the way a detector they own runs or operates.

OP
OP
Terrafisher

Terrafisher

Nov 2, 2008
Spring, Texas
Detector(s) used

Thanks, TH.

I bought one hoping it would be a good all around machine, and let me use my Sovereign when I really need it and on the beach.

Looking forward to my first test drive.

RWJR13

Apr 25, 2007
MESQUITE, TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT & Classic ID
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

TH is right. Several of us get used to a certain detector and how it works. We try something else and just don't like it..

CWnut

May 9, 2003
E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tigershark----Tesoro Conquistador Umax------Fisher FX-3----Master Hunter CX-Plus w/ depth multiplier
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

i think most, if not all, are looking for that 'do it all best' detector and when they buy a new one they discover it's the same features in a different package. I have some old magazines from the 90's and if you changed the dates on them you could use the metal detector ads today. The 'see what's in the ground before i dig' detector still eludes us.

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Also a lot of people will buy a machine based off of reviews and have never had a hands on. Everyone is different on what they like in a machine and how they hunt.

The-Bone

Nov 13, 2007
North East,Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Whites Silver Eagle, BHID,M6,CZ21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

treasurehound said:
Also a lot of people will buy a machine based off of reviews and have never had a hands on. Everyone is different on what they like in a machine and how they hunt.
the falsing issue fix was just recently acknowledged and addressed by garrett....maybe the machines that you are seeing for sale are from before the fix

OP
OP
Terrafisher

Terrafisher

Nov 2, 2008
Spring, Texas
Detector(s) used

Very good points from all.

Thank you for the replies.

With all the different views, I feel a lot more comfortable.

Thanks again!

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Terra is you watch any new machine when it comes out the same cycle happens. Tons of sales then come the used machines. I'm not even sure some people even use them before they sell them off.
Either way the AT is a awesome machine. Great depth.

OP
OP
Terrafisher

Terrafisher

Nov 2, 2008
Spring, Texas
Detector(s) used

Thank you! I feel confident now that it will be exactly what I expected.

Marchas45

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2009
A Place In Heaven
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Scorpion.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The-Bone said:
treasurehound said:
the falsing issue fix was just recently acknowledged and addressed by garrett....maybe the machines that you are seeing for sale are from before the fix

And yes that's where I am at the moment in my research. What caused the falsing and what is the fix? nobody seems to know or want's to say especially Garrett. I want to know before I buy one. :thumbsup:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other

Marchas45 said:
The-Bone said:
treasurehound said:

And yes that's where I am at the moment in my research. What caused the falsing and what is the fix? nobody seems to know or want's to say especially Garrett. I want to know before I buy one. :thumbsup:
Yup.. I would like to know what the fix was.......... I have one with no problems but why can't we find out what was wrong ?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I fear maybe one of the fixes would be to just "Dumb it Down." I hope that is not the case but we should be told what the fix was.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other

I have seen this many times. On different machines, and for various reasons. The exact same falsing symptoms. I am talking in the field, not shaking the thing inside a house. I wish I had a video camera. When there is an intermittent coil connection, like the ferrule at the housing was not tight, or perhaps the coil wires are getting fatigued or perhaps an iffy solder joint starting to break apart, connecting and reconnecting from vibration or rapid motion, the machine will false and bark. Try it. Take a machine, set the sense to about half way, loosen the coil connection ferrule and force the connection for the coil wires to open and close the circuit by wiggling the plug. The machine will bark. I am 97.342979% certain the issue was a connectivity problem related to the coil. Whether by the user, a design flaw, a component flaw, it don't matter. Garrett clearly states how to make sure you have a good machine. From memory of the bulletin, "find a good metal free area, no metal within two feet. No EMI. If wagging the coil quickly falsing over this metal free area, call the factory for assistance". Any machine working properly will allow you to do the waggle. It's needed to shake the target down, to get a good idea what it might be sometimes. On deep crusty indians, if I waggle quickly, the target sounds better, proving its a goody. Garret knows this. Garrett knows people will waggle the machine rapidly over the target to get a good response. That is why the machine should be stable with rapid waggling. If the machine falses from waggling, it is a classic symptom of coil connectivety problems. Another thing, from what I have seen on the Garrett video tests, and John's studies, this thing is deep. Which means sensitive. Which means you gotta learn to gb for the particular sense you are running at, or falsing will occur anyway.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other

Sandman said:
I fear maybe one of the fixes would be to just "Dumb it Down." I hope that is not the case but we should be told what the fix was.

Sandman, I have seen the Garrett air test videos and have read John's killer good charts and such showing depth on various targets.
If my machine does not closely approach either of these stupendous results in air tests, I will be making a very serious phone call.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other

gleaner1 said:
Sandman said:

Sandman, I have seen the Garrett air test videos and have read John's killer good charts and such showing depth on various targets.
If my machine does not closely approach either of these stupendous results in air tests, I will be making a very serious phone call.
I don't trust charts.or air test's......

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other

Air tests are okay for general testing. If my machine air tests a quarter at say 12 inches, and your exact machine air tests the same quarter at say 8", same settings, same coil, you will not be a happy camper. Air tests are not indicative of true depth in the field, in the ground, the ground is significantly deeper. Keppy, best regards to you always.

Indasurf

Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, White's BHID 300, Fisher CZ20, Fisher CZ 6A, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300, Tesoro Silver Sabre Plus, White's 5900 DI Pro SL, and others!

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, E-Trac, Makro Racer 2, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Air test WILL give you an idea of the best depth a detector can give. Of course how it handles the ground will determine how much of the depth you actually see in the field, but you won't see any greater depth in the ground than in the air with the exception of the halo effect. Anyone who believes differently I challenge you to simply provide some proof.

As far as the AT Pro coil issues I thought it was pretty clear it was the coil being replaced. I've seen no less than 5 people who say they called Garrett and asked what was wrong/done to their AT Pros and was told they replaced the coil. No conspiracy or hidden problems at all. You just need to want to see the obvious to see it I guess.

Those new to detecting might think there is something behind all the AT's being sold, but those that have been detecting for awhile know it's very common. Like myself, many buy new detectors just to check them out and have no intentions of keeping it. Of course unless it's just so far better than the old faithful you get a new old faithful. I'll buy a new detector and use it for several months then sell it. It gives me a chance to try out new technology and it still has a great resale value.

So far my testing of the AT Pro say I might just have a new old faithful.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: AT Pro: I'm confused......

Digger I have to many "old Faithfuls." I like to learn new detectors just for the fun of learning them but can't part with one later. This is a real hex as I hardly can decide which to take out for a spin. But my AT Pro will get a workout this year as mine came steady as a rock. :coffee2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread