Should i get the Garret Ace 250 or 350 ?

Big Tx Hunter

Greenie
Mar 5, 2011
Rowlett, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Hi There, i just joined :)

I am looking to buy my first metal detector and probably the only one for a while. I am looking to get the best bang for my buck. I was wondering about real world experience with both. Which one would you buy? Why?

I live in North Texas and this will be used at old Parks, Churches, Ranches, etcetera.

I am super nervous about making the wrong choice and any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!

Oh yeah, i am leaving to go to Iowa for a week next Friday and will be taking it with me... Hopefully I will get to post pictures of my first find!!

ok2raise

Dec 30, 2008
here
Detector(s) used
DEALER OF Garrett, & Fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Both are good machine .The ace 350 comes with a bigger coil.i dont think you would be disappointed with either one

OP
OP
B

Big Tx Hunter

Greenie
Mar 5, 2011
Rowlett, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
ok2raise said:
Both are good machine .The ace 350 comes with a bigger coil.i dont think you would be disappointed with either one

Thanks for the advice, I have that feeling but was wondering about real world experience.

I have read multiple reviews and most are coming back with the 350 is not worth the extra.
I have done some searching but not found out much info on the specs and what they mean. What are that advantages/Disadvantages of the higher frequency?

The specs say the coils can be submersed, does this affect it at all? Does that mean I can walk shorelines about a foot deep with it?

Thanks again for the reply!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Big Tx Hunter said:
ok2raise said:

Thanks for the advice, I have that feeling but was wondering about real world experience.

I have read multiple reviews and most are coming back with the 350 is not worth the extra.
I have done some searching but not found out much info on the specs and what they mean. What are that advantages/Disadvantages of the higher frequency?

The specs say the coils can be submersed, does this affect it at all? Does that mean I can walk shorelines about a foot deep with it?

Are you talking fresh or salt water shoreines.......Saltwater has minerals and both Ace's have a problem with saltwater minerals. It can be run there, but you have to turn down the sensitivity which will reduce your depth, detector will still chatter and give false signals but can work there somewhat, just not like a water detector......

OP
OP
B

Big Tx Hunter

Greenie
Mar 5, 2011
Rowlett, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Treasure_Hunter said:
Big Tx Hunter said:
ok2raise said:

Are you talking fresh or salt water shoreines.......Saltwater has minerals and both Ace's have a problem with saltwater minerals. It can be run there, but you have to turn down the sensitivity which will reduce your depth, detector will still chatter and give false signals but can work there somewhat, just not like a water detector......

Fresh water ...

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
350 is a much better machine for the $. Have any questions feel free to ask!

OP
OP
B

Big Tx Hunter

Greenie
Mar 5, 2011
Rowlett, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
stoopstroop said:
350 is a much better machine for the $. Have any questions feel free to ask!

Sigh, i guess i am going to just have to buy it and see. . . A friend just purchased the 250 so i guess i will get the 350.. Should be able to find out real quick which is superior or if there is a real difference.

I was just thinking that if the 350 is not that much better i would save the money.. thanks for the info..

Do you happen to have one of them?

RWJR13

Apr 25, 2007
MESQUITE, TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT & Classic ID
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Big Tx Hunter....Welcome from Mesquite, Texas............In my opinion the advantage of the 350 is the coil and the higher frequency for jewelry....

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The advantage of the 350 over the 250 is not that much and a smaller coil is a big help when you encounter lots of trash. You will not be disappointed with either. If your friend has the 250 you can learn faster from each other.

Years ago when detectors first came out dew on the grass would affect how they operated and any water that got in from the cable really messed things up so now they advertise them as "waterproof." You can generally get the coil under couple feet without pressure letting in water. Just don't drop the land detector in water if you fall down. I believe in if something can go wrong, it will. So stay away from water.

OP
OP
B

Big Tx Hunter

Greenie
Mar 5, 2011
Rowlett, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
RWJR13 said:
Hey Big Tx Hunter....Welcome from Mesquite, Texas............In my opinion the advantage of the 350 is the coil and the higher frequency for jewelry....

Thank you for the welcome, I am in Rowlett.

I am thinking i will go with the 350 and buy a sniper coil for trashy areas..

Thanks for all the input!

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get the 250, the smaller coil will make it easier for you if your new at this.

RWJR13

Apr 25, 2007
MESQUITE, TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT & Classic ID
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Big Tx Hunter said:
RWJR13 said:

Thank you for the welcome, I am in Rowlett.

I am thinking i will go with the 350 and buy a sniper coil for trashy areas..

Thanks for all the input!
......Go to any clubs yet? We have one in Mesquite........Pm me and I'll give you the info.....

jadeblackhawk

May 27, 2006
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
The Ace 350 comes with the DD coil as standard, the only difference I can see without actually buying one.

I love my 250, the coil that comes stock with that is pretty small to begin with.

czoom

Feb 11, 2011
Riverside, CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro & Garrett ACE 250
350 because of the bigger coil, frequency and better iron discrimination.

Michellets

Nov 12, 2006
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Ace 250 Big and Small coils, AT-Pro
Get the ace 250 Pro package and you get a large and small coil with it. I have found coins as deep as 12" or more with the large coil and the small coil works great in trashy areas.. . HOWEVER>>>> make sure you purchase coil covers for whatever you decide on. Without them you will destroy the coils! Always keep the extra canvas cover on the the housing unit.... dirt has a way of wreaking the electronics soooo keep it clean! HH M

OP
OP
B

Big Tx Hunter

Greenie
Mar 5, 2011
Rowlett, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Thanks for all the input! I went with the Ace 350, the DD coil with the higher frequince and Iron descrimination sold me. I can get a smaller coil down the road.

Time for me to begin the hunt!

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use a 250 and have both coils. I exclusively only use the large one for depth. For some reason I don't like the small coil and only used it a few hours. I don't know how much the 350 is but the 250 is around 200. I just saw one on here recently for sale for 150. Don't know if it is still on here under classifieds. Good luck and welcome to TNET :coffee2:

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you plan on mostly coin shooting, get the 250.

If you have a desire to go relic hunting, get the 350.

No matter which you buy, also get the Sniper coil. Trust me, you're going to use it a lot!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread