GTA350

DIGDIG

Nov 23, 2009
Space Coast/Florida
Detector(s) used
WHITES SURF P.I.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, I just purchased a GTA350 but there were not many post about this machine. What can I get on depth with it? Anyone who owns one please comment good or bad, hopefully I didn't buy a bad model. I paid $149. and shipping.

Attachments

• detector.jpg
    detector.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 628
  • detector.jpg
    detector.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 457

dogpound

Sep 24, 2010
southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
looks like its very clean, i'm sure its well worth the 150 bucks. as far as depth you could try some air tests for test garden and see what ya get outa it. i'm sure if you call garrett they will be able to tell ya what coils are available for it.

OP
OP
DIGDIG

DIGDIG

Nov 23, 2009
Space Coast/Florida
Detector(s) used
WHITES SURF P.I.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought the same when I seen how clean it was, the person claimed it was prchased for the wife and detecting wasn't for her.

Attachments

• coil1.jpg
    coil1.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 443

CWnut

May 9, 2003
E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tigershark----Tesoro Conquistador Umax------Fisher FX-3----Master Hunter CX-Plus w/ depth multiplier
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks good...Has it even been used?

OP
OP
DIGDIG

DIGDIG

Nov 23, 2009
Space Coast/Florida
Detector(s) used
WHITES SURF P.I.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The guy claimed "she went a couple of times". There don't even seem to be dirt or dust on it.

Attachments

• coil.jpg
    coil.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 503
OP
OP
DIGDIG

DIGDIG

Nov 23, 2009
Space Coast/Florida
Detector(s) used
WHITES SURF P.I.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just got a new 12.5" crossfire coil for $49.50, so the set-up like new has set me back about $200.
I hope to have the detector this weekend and start testing it in my field.
I have a hunt in mind so I want to try to get familiar with it as soon as I can.

I would still love to hear from anyone that owned one of these.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, I've never owned one, but I used one for a couple months. Yours looks in great shape and for $150 you can't go wrong and should be able to get more for that if selling again. About the depth, it is in the ball park of 8" depending where you are using it. Due to different ground conditions this is not an exact science. Some hunters complain their detectors can't find old coils over 6 inches but maybe at their area coins aren't deeper. The best way to tell what your unit is doing is to make a test garden and see what depth you are getting in your area after the coins have been in the ground a while. You won't get the same depth readings just after you planted them.

OP
OP
DIGDIG

DIGDIG

Nov 23, 2009
Space Coast/Florida
Detector(s) used
WHITES SURF P.I.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First impression- this detector looks new! Keeping in mind this is 20 year old technology I air tested it with a handful of coins. The coins registered accurately with the exception of pennies. I tried clad and an Indian penny and even though the machine was consistant each time it was not where the penny mark was.
This weekend I will get out and see what it will do in ground conditions, maybe the pennies will fall into place in damp soil.

OP
OP
DIGDIG

DIGDIG

Nov 23, 2009
Space Coast/Florida
Detector(s) used
WHITES SURF P.I.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I may be talking to myself on this topic but figured maybe someone else that owns one may benifit from it. Took it in the field next to my home and walked away from the house since there were alot of trash signal close to the home. I got a good sounding quarter hit and surpise, it was a quarter(1974), dug a bottle cap and a piece of tin, then at the far end of the field a solid quarter hit but I was guessing it wasn't due to it seemed hard to pinpoint. I let the wife dig and I see copper color, it was a Hubley revovler broken in a few pieces. I have never seen on copper color and by what I found it had white plastic grips, it must have made some kid happy in the day.

OP
OP
DIGDIG

DIGDIG

Nov 23, 2009
Space Coast/Florida
Detector(s) used
WHITES SURF P.I.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Having a detector without pinpointing is stressful, I think having an XLT for my first detector had spoiled me. Being off this Wendsday I hope to find time to go find my original wedding band(ex-wife) that I dropped while working some 15 years ago, if I can locate it there should be at least $75. of 14k there. That's $75. closer to a real detector if I can locate it.

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
...DIGDIG...I just got a GTA 350 mainly just because it seemed very reasonably priced at $140.00 plus shipping.......although most of the Garrett Forum Members here would consider this detector ancient.....it is a big leap for me into the Modern Era of Garrett.......LOL...............My newest Garrett up to now was probably the AT4 and the Freedom 3....I have lots of experience with the Older Garrett's especially The BFO (ZeroDrift) Hunter....the ADS Deepseeker and the ADS Groundhog..................Well back to the GTA 350....I am impressed...............ALTHOUGH it does Not have a PinPoint Mode but with my 40 years of experience...(starting with a Garrett BFO Sidewinder)...I know that if I raise the coil off the ground that the signal will get smaller depending on how high I lift the coil off the ground......I like the larger coils and am thinking about getting the 10 by 14 inch coil....also am considering upgrading to the GTAX 550 or higher ...not sure at this time...kinda like the GTAX 1000 and the GTI 1500.....................HH...............Joe

OP
OP
DIGDIG

DIGDIG

Nov 23, 2009
Space Coast/Florida
Detector(s) used
WHITES SURF P.I.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Garrett I purchased due to limited funds but I have to admit I miss my XLT. I have not really used it anywhere but the field near my house with some good finds, the large coil gets great depth. Without the pinpointing I am not sure I would want to use it on someones manicured lawn since I pull a larger plug instead of the small one I used to pull with the XLT. Mine is accurate with the exception of pennies, they fall in around the 6 scale but once you know it I have no trouble finding them. Quarter scale has been right on with finding quarters. I was out of detecting for a few and never thought of raising the coil to pinpoint but since you mentioned it that makes perfect sense, Thanks!!.

biggstile

Mar 4, 2011
Burnsville, MN
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Whites Buillseye II Pinpointer
The only thing I don't like about it is no pinpointing.
I had one, and dug a few extra aluminum cans because of that (harder for me to judge the size of items).
I also don't like having to use 8 AA batteries, instead of 4AA in my ACE 250.
On the plus side, that GTA350 has many notch settings, more than any of the ACE series, so you can be very specific what you rule out of your search, etc.
I liked the threshold level was set by the factory to a very slight hum. It is a Quality Garrett Detector, as most are.
Overall, I liked mine, and the belltones weren't as annoying to me as my ACE.

OP
OP
DIGDIG

DIGDIG

Nov 23, 2009
Space Coast/Florida
Detector(s) used
WHITES SURF P.I.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Overall, the more I use this detector the more I like it. I've found some decent silver with it in my own yard, Mercury dimes and silver quarters.
I hope to get the guy next door to let me search the field near his home next, it's a few acres and he told he the home was a store years ago and kids would walk there from the school up the street so there should be coins-o-plenty to be found.

biggstile

Mar 4, 2011
Burnsville, MN
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Whites Buillseye II Pinpointer
That's the best outlook, I believe it's more where to look, than which detector you look with.

OP
OP
DIGDIG

DIGDIG

Nov 23, 2009
Space Coast/Florida
Detector(s) used
WHITES SURF P.I.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree, I have no problem locating coins with this machine I just need to make time to go find them. Usually I get in about 8pm from work grab my detector while the whole time the kids want me to play, the wife is yelling "spend time with me" and the dog wants my attention. I tell everyone to give me 30minutes to unwind, LOL.
I have some hunts planned I just need things to slow down a bit.

OP
OP
DIGDIG

DIGDIG

Nov 23, 2009
Space Coast/Florida
Detector(s) used
WHITES SURF P.I.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My GTA now has an issue, just when I was on a roll with finding silver it's unpredictable. I called Garrett to have it serviced and maybe they can calibrate it so pennies are on mark.
Until this economy gets better or work picks up I have to make due with what I got.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread