I like the things said about the AT Pro, but . . .

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Hi All,

I'm getting some cash back from the refiner in the next couple of weeks. I've been wanting and planning on an AT Pro since they came out last October. I've read just about every post regarding how much people enjoy using them, as well as the quality control issues they had at the beginning.

But, when I look right here on Treasurenet at "Today's Finds", over and over again you see Minelab and Whites at about 3 to 1, by a rough estimate. Where are the AT Pro finds, or even any Garrett finds? Am I being unfair? Is the "Today's Finds" forum rigged? I'm just putting my observation out there. If you dispute my observation, tell me what you see. If you have an explanation, share it.

C'mon! Show me what I'm going to find with my AT Pro.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
batcap, it's a winter release, give it time, give it time. I sense good finds soon. I will post mine in the Garrett forum, or the today's if it's a banner find or something really good. For every pro out there, there are perhaps hundreds of killer classic machines out there, looking for a hit. It's war.

dogpound

Sep 24, 2010
southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
gleaner1 is right, being the AT came out late last fall and alot of people are just getting started due to weather conditions i'm sure the good stuff is on its way soon. i've seen several good posts from several members on the forums with some very nice deep finds from the AT, and alot of these real nice finds where found within the first few hunts with the AT. also there are alot more whites and minelab owners then just AT owners.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For the $ the AT Pro is one of if not THE best machine out. Very good on gold!

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
dogpound said:
gleaner1 is right, being the AT came out late last fall and alot of people are just getting started due to weather conditions i'm sure the good stuff is on its way soon. i've seen several good posts from several members on the forums with some very nice deep finds from the AT, and alot of these real nice finds where found within the first few hunts with the AT. also there are alot more whites and minelab owners then just AT owners.

dogpound, I see you think I'm right. I guess that's alright. But I must warn you, don't agree with me or I'll be forced to hunt you down with my ATPro and run you thru.

Just kidding dogpound! I was possessed by the terrible knight warrior dude that I found last week, a spell was cast. But I cast him off into the garbage bin and I am over it now. I am going to post ATpro silver before the weekend is out.

Michellets

Nov 12, 2006
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Ace 250 Big and Small coils, AT-Pro
I've been hitting some old sites that I detected with my Ace 250. At some of them I had previously found a lot of coins. I thought that by back tracking some of these sites it would be a good way to get to know my new machine...AT Pro. The results were about what I expected. I missed a few coins (3) at about four different sites that I've been to, I also found a few flat buttons. The coins were at varying depths in trashy zones. What I have learned... The ATP has better coin sensing when objects are in trashy zones, it goes a little bit deeper, and has far fewer false signals. So far I love it... Oh, and also I like the frequency options when there's interference... combined that with ground balance and iron disc discrimination and it is really cool.... By the time the end of May rolls in I'm sure I'll be very happy! HH M.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks diggin!!!!
Bat if you have any questions or need great pricing call or email me. Lover to help answer any of your questions!

bwirth1999

Jun 23, 2007
Belvidere, IL
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
(Trying not to highjack by staying on the AT Pro subject.....)

Ya know the question I have is... Will a more expensive machine do a better job?

I can't answer this as I have little experience with other detectors. I have an AT-Pro, and love it.... Beach, surf, old home sites etc..... It can do it all.... The super fast recovery speed is a big plus as well. I did a depth test with mine in my back yard... Put a modern nickel in the bottom of a hole approx. 12" deep...(give or take)... Granted the coin is flat providing a large target but it still picks it up, faintly, but loud enough to hear without headphones.... How about a dime on edge, at around 4-5"... Penny at 9"... no problems....

NOW..... I really.. and I mean REALLY want an Etrac. My question is, will it make a difference? Will it go deeper? I now it's not as fast as the AT... But just wondering if it will go deeper.....

Anyway, I love my AT-Pro, no problems yet, except for a random scrolling when it sits powered on but idle... I think it's due to EMI.. not sure though.

OP
OP
B

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
bwirth1999 said:

Ya know the question I have is... Will a more expensive machine do a better job?

I can't answer this as I have little experience with other detectors. I have an AT-Pro, and love it.... Beach, surf, old home sites etc..... It can do it all.... The super fast recovery speed is a big plus as well. I did a depth test with mine in my back yard... Put a modern nickel in the bottom of a hole approx. 12" deep...(give or take)... Granted the coin is flat providing a large target but it still picks it up, faintly, but loud enough to hear without headphones.... How about a dime on edge, at around 4-5"... Penny at 9"... no problems....

NOW..... I really.. and I mean REALLY want an Etrac. My question is, will it make a difference? Will it go deeper? I now it's not as fast as the AT... But just wondering if it will go deeper.....

Anyway, I love my AT-Pro, no problems yet, except for a random scrolling when it sits powered on but idle... I think it's due to EMI.. not sure though.

I guess in a broader sense that was my question. "Just how good does a MD have to be to bring up the booty on a regular basis?" That is of course based on my skill.

Being a habitual miser, I have not contributed to Tnet. For a small donation I could have unlocked TNet's search capability and found out for myself. I have other questions; for example, "Has an Ace 250 find ever made Banner?" Don't answer that! Maybe it will inspire someone to contribute. I think I'll look into it myself, after I make a contribution. Then if I can't find the answer I'll ask.

Daedalus

Feb 2, 2011
Strafford , Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT / MineLab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The others are posted 3 to 1 because there are about 3 to 1 users of the other machines . The AT Pro has just hit the market and in users hands , this summer you will see a lot more finds by them.
A friend of mine has one and he really likes it. And he does and finds just as much as anyone else , even the few who have the high end machines .
In my opinion it is an excellent detector . And for the money it is a really good buy for what you get .

bwirth1999

Jun 23, 2007
Belvidere, IL
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess maybe I should have placed the question like this... How come no one has put the higher dollar detectors to a side by side comparison with the AT Pro... I have yet to find anything like this...

I am willing to bet that the At will perform similar to a minelab or whites.. or whatever you would like to compare it to. I would love to see a E-trac AT Pro side by side hunt, or test bed... I am just curious..

RWJR13

Apr 25, 2007
MESQUITE, TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT & Classic ID
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There are a few who have had the DFX, V3i and Etrac,,,,,They sold the first two and kept the Etrac, and the AT PRO is their most go to detector...

bwirth1999

Jun 23, 2007
Belvidere, IL
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
batcap said:
bwirth1999 said:

I guess in a broader sense that was my question. "Just how good does a MD have to be to bring up the booty on a regular basis?" That is of course based on my skill.

Being a habitual miser, I have not contributed to Tnet. For a small donation I could have unlocked TNet's search capability and found out for myself. I have other questions; for example, "Has an Ace 250 find ever made Banner?" Don't answer that! Maybe it will inspire someone to contribute. I think I'll look into it myself, after I make a contribution. Then if I can't find the answer I'll ask.

I can tell you, my last trip to the beach, I was digging every 25 feet or so... all consistent signals, all correct signals... The AT Pro is an excellent choice for most any of your needs.

scuba

Greenie
Feb 6, 2011
Elizabethtown KY.
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
My AT PRO will be here tomorrow!! :headbang: Cant wait I will post results. First place its going is a very trashy church thats been there since 1849. I didn't have much luck there with my Bounty Hunter Time Ranger. I got like 10 iron hits every square foot :(

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Bang for the buck, you can't go wrong with the AT-Pro. I went up to DIV XVII and carried with me a White's XLT and the AT-Pro. I used both and found relics with both. If you want to go crazy and money is no object, then sure, get the Minelab GPX5000. But for the money you'lll spend for the AT-Pro, you can make some good finds, it takes time, luck and patience to make killer recoveries.

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It should also be remembered that both Whites and Minelab are probably more in use than Garretts, across the board. The Ace 250 helped to change that to a great degree, but Garett has usually ran a distant third over the years in the polls.
Flatly put, there are just more detectors from other makers in use. This is especially so of Whites.
The AT Pro will have an effect on this, but there seems to also be a love hate thing going on with it. Detectorists are a fickle, even curmudgeonly lot. When something takes them the wrong way they not only run from it, but condemn it loudly. Sure, some are using it to great effect. But there seems to be an equal number that refuse to or have given it up.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread