AT PRO coil exchange in the field

DIRTDOCTOR

Greenie
Dec 4, 2008
I went to the Ghost Town of Thurber ,Texas to metal detect the Bennett Ranch on Sat.04/02/11. Ate breakfast at the Smokestack and headed out - hunted with the AT PRO with 9"x 12" coil for about 4 hrs. till my arm got tired - switched to the 4.5" sniper coil , which was a problem in the field. As soon as I turned the machine on it went crazy . I used the 4.5" coil before with no problem. I tried several things - rebooting- R&R batteries-reconnecting coil -Still Crazy - beep-beep-beep-Changed to the 6.5"x9"coil with no problem . So I know the problem is with the 4.5" coil. I'll send the coil back to Garrett Monday. This is the second coil that was bad. The first was when I took the machine in for falsing . They replaced the 8.5"x11" original coil with a new one and did work on inside unit to fix the falsing problem. P.S. I have caps for each of my coil connectors .I think Garrett should furnish the caps for each coil to protect the coil connector dirt and damage.Thanks,DIRTDOCTOR

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't like the way the connectors plug in as there is very little space to align the plugs. Plus it seems to be easy to get things cross threaded.

Kayaker

Dec 27, 2010
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro and Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
DIRTDOCTOR said:
... I have caps for each of my coil connectors .I think Garrett should furnish the caps for each coil to protect the coil connector dirt and damage.Thanks,DIRTDOCTOR

Sorry to hear about the coil. It does seem like way too many issues going on with these. My AT Pro is arriving today and I'm hoping I don't join the FCC (Faulty Coil Club). What kind of caps? Where do ya get them?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kayaker said:
DIRTDOCTOR said:
... I have caps for each of my coil connectors .I think Garrett should furnish the caps for each coil to protect the coil connector dirt and damage.Thanks,DIRTDOCTOR

Sorry to hear about the coil. It does seem like way too many issues going on with these. My AT Pro is arriving today and I'm hoping I don't join the FCC (Faulty Coil Club). What kind of caps? Where do ya get them?
There is a cap already on the connector when you get it. You can order more caps.

Kayaker

Dec 27, 2010
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro and Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Sandman said:
Kayaker said:
DIRTDOCTOR said:

There is a cap already on the connector when you get it. You can order more caps.

Ah, OK, I get it.... Thanks! Mine came today, but my wife stepped out for lunch when UPS tried to deliver (of course). Oh well, hopefully I'll have it tomorrow.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Met a guy Saturday hunting the water with an AT PRO while I was there hunting it with my Excal, he was not happy with his AT PRO at all, says it is constantly chattering with false signals.....Said he has gone through 2 charges in the battery and is now starting to regret buying it....... says adjusting the sensitivity hasn't done anything for the chattering and false signals.....

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure_Hunter said:
Met a guy Saturday hunting the water with an AT PRO while I was there hunting it with my Excal, he was not happy with his AT PRO at all, says it is constantly chattering with false signals.....Said he has gone through 2 charges in the battery and is now starting to regret buying it....... says adjusting the sensitivity hasn't done anything for the chattering and false signals.....
He probably doesn't use the Tnet forum so he'd know all about it.

bwirth1999

Jun 23, 2007
Belvidere, IL
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure_Hunter said:

That's strange, because I have had mine in the water quite a bit, and really didn't have much chattering at all. No falsing either. At one point I thought it was falsing, but, since I was hunting on the east coast, I was picking up the old iron/steel that was laying around.... Most times so small it would just fall right through a sand scoop. Until I actually dug through it with my fingers did i find they were pieces about the size of a eyeglass screw, just flatter...

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bwirth1999 said:
Treasure_Hunter said:

That's strange, because I have had mine in the water quite a bit, and really didn't have much chattering at all. No falsing either. At one point I thought it was falsing, but, since I was hunting on the east coast, I was picking up the old iron/steel that was laying around.... Most times so small it would just fall right through a sand scoop. Until I actually dug through it with my fingers did i find they were pieces about the size of a eyeglass screw, just flatter...

Not putting it down, I have never used it, just reporting what he told me.....Maybe he had the cables swinging free, or it was one of the early ones that had a problem, don't know as it was in his truck when I met him, he was using his Excal II to hunt when I walked up to him to talk....

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought my AT Pro was OK, till it was turned on for awhile and it went crazy. Coil wire wrapped tight, sens. at 2, out in the boonies and not near over head wires. Wearing my lucky socks which started out white but are now green........LOL :icon_scratch:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I would not buy a new Minelab because they would not work out of the box........................ Sooooooooo i got the new Garrett and it was not good so it is on the way back to Garrett........... What is with these detector companys.????? :angry4: :angry4: :angry4: :angry9: :angry5: :cussing: :cussing:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman said:
I thought my AT Pro was OK, till it was turned on for awhile and it went crazy. Coil wire wrapped tight, sens. at 2, out in the boonies and not near over head wires. Wearing my lucky socks which started out white but are now green........LOL :icon_scratch:

You forgot your Lucky boxers......

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keppy said:
I would not buy a new Minelab because they would not work out of the box........................ Sooooooooo i got the new Garrett and it was not good so it is on the way back to Garrett........... What is with these detector companys.????? :angry4: :angry4: :angry4: :angry9: :angry5: :cussing: :cussing:

Sorry to hear...... :(

I just bought a Minelab Safari less then a year old, so far it appears to be working fine. Man I bought it from says he only took it out 1 day to a beach and from the looks of it he is telling the truth..... Looking forward to using it.......

Just bought Andy Sabisch's book "The Minelab Quattro & Safari Handbook" from Kellyco, it was on sale for $14.99...... Going to study it till the weekend.....

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Treasure_Hunter said:
Keppy said:

Sorry to hear...... :(

I just bought a Minelab Safari less then a year old, so far it appears to be working fine. Man I bought it from says he only took it out 1 day to a beach and from the looks of it he is telling the truth..... Looking forward to using it.......

Just bought Andy Sabisch's book "The Minelab Quattro & Safari Handbook" from Kellyco, it was on sale for $14.99...... Going to study it till the weekend.....
Well i think that all i am going to try and buy from now on........... Is going to be good used detector it can't be any worse than the new ones being put out.........

OP
OP
D

DIRTDOCTOR

Greenie
Dec 4, 2008
I called Garrett Monday-04/04/11 - Talked to Sue and told her the problem I had with the AT PRO 4.5" coil . She told me to take it in to my dealer Robert Porenza of American detectors/ Ed pavlasek of Texas Premium Detectors and swap it with a new one.-04/06/11-The AT PRO works great!!! Thanks Sue, Robert and ED for the BEST SERVICE AROUND. THANKS , DIRTDOCTOR

OP
OP
D

DIRTDOCTOR

Greenie
Dec 4, 2008
The coil cable side of the connector does not come with a cap. I use the cap with the bale strap that comes on the water proof connector side of the headphones. I ordered these caps from Garrett.FYI- Robert at American Detectors told me that with the 4.5" coil the cable is positioned so close to the mounting bolt that when wrapping cable to leave enough slack as not to pull wire lose inside coil.THANKS DIRTDOCTOR

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions