Central Indiana

DesertNuggets

Mar 29, 2011
Tucson, AZ
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Bumping the coil and causing false signals is 100% normal with lots of detectors.

I dig lots of bs too. Thats normal. :)

neuseman

Mar 11, 2011
Beaufort NC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 and Omega 8000
It depends on the size of the target being detected. Im new to the hobby but ive seen this on videos about the AT Pro. I think the smaller targets will be a bit shallower than what the depth scale reads. The larger targets being detected will be a bit deeper than what the depth scale reads. You might want to double check my assumptions but I think I got it right. Anyway I have the Ace 250 and when the coil is bumped it will false. I think most detectors do this. Copper pennies on my machine a lot of times register as a dime. I think the depth of the coin and its position in the ground has some effect on this. The new pennies most of the time register as a penny on my machine. 99 percent of the time when my machine registers a quarter on the scale it is a quarter. I hope this helps you with your machine.

nhagan

Jul 27, 2010
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
My father has the 250. I just grabbed a 350 about two weeks ago. I have also noticed a big difference between the two (DD coil plays a big part in their difference). My 350 will false even if I swing and lift from parallel to slightly out from parallel (angled to ground). From what I have been told its somewhat common (annoying but I will get used to it). I hunt with both the 250 and 350 off and on. I feel both are wonderful detectors. I am still learning with the 350 but am getting better with it every time out.

The 250 is usually (90% of the time) dead on while in coin mode. If it is a penny it will hit up penny (occasionally dinging in at a dime). If it is a nickel its dead on nickel. If it rings up quarter its for sure a dang quarter haha. I call the old mans 250 the quarter killer cause he pounds out the quarters out of the ground with that thing.

The 350 from what I have noticed (searching over the same area, sometimes over the same target when we were hunting together) will give crazy signals. I have seen a penny come out of a hole that my 350 'bells' in at a quarter while my fathers 250 rings in at a penny dead on. Again, I am still playing around with the 350 and learning on it but I did find out the last couple times out that lowering the sensitivity has helped out a bit. I left it at the default of I think 5 out of the box I lowered it to 4 bars and it seems to work better for me.

Anyway, I dig both machines. I wish I had saved a few more pennies to snag the at-pro but I think I will get plenty of use out of my 350.

Neil

eldorado

Mar 19, 2009
Northwest OHIO
Detector(s) used
started out with compass nugget.1970? have had many over years, current choice is Garrett ACE 350. collection includes: ace 250, AT Pro, ATX, Whites 6000, whites classic, still have my compass too.
had a bit of time to use my new ace 350,, getting used to its langauge. I noticed you dig bs I assume that means BIG SILVER.. :laughing7: tonight I was using my dd coil,, and was going to change to the sniper coil. I pretty sure I shut it off before changing coils however when I puton the sniper the screen was locked up no buttons would do anything at all.. had to take out a battery then it shut down.. put battery back in a the ace booted back up and ran just fine. IF i didnt shut it off before changed coil do ya think it caused the lock up??

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The coil being DD coil can be tricky to learn. Once you do you will love them!

OP
OP
H

HoosierPirates

Mar 22, 2011
Central Indiana
I began to have some other issues after my first post. I contacted my dealer (Robert @ Deep Coin Detectors) and Garrett. Both were great to work with and came to the conclusion that my coil may have a defect in the epoxy. Garrett is sending out a new DD to see if this resolves all of my issues.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread