I WON"T, CANT recommend the AT PRO because of the earphones!

dogpound

Sep 24, 2010
southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
Re: I WON"T, CAN'T recommend the AT PRO because of the earphones!

Marye said:
The AT is fine just like it is. There are times headphones are nice, and times no headphones at all are preferred. Hardwiring on an AT would ruin an otherwise exceptional machine.

When you are out in the 100+ degree sun, with the sweat rolling down your cheeks, you will appreciate being able to remove those hot headphones.[/quote]

Like others here, I made my own adapter by cutting the one from the original headset and splicing the 1/4 in. plug
from Radio Shack. As far as headphones I have several, including the SunRay Pros. Believe it or not the ones I like
best are the Koss that I got at Walmart (don't laugh) for $5. Good sound, light, long cord, volume control and
I can hear whats going around me.
[/quote]

i was thinking of doin the same thing, isn't it only 2 wires that come off the headphones anyway

dogpound

Sep 24, 2010
southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030

i just went to radio shack and picked up the female 1/4 inch adaptor and made my own headphone adaptor, i cut the waterproof adaptor off the headphones (which has 3 wires) and at radio shack making sure i got the 1/4 inch female plug that was for stereo(not mono). very easy fix and works great...infact now i run my wireless headphones with the AT :headbang:

OP
OP
Sandman

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

To make is easier to change headphones on the AT Pro I thought of using my Dremel tool and a ball grinder stone to GENTLY ream out the inside edge on the female plug so the O ring will slip in easier. Just the first inside edge now to bevel it a tiny might..... I think this would help me but it would void little 2 year warranty.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other

Sandman said:
To make is easier to change headphones on the AT Pro I thought of using my Dremel tool and a ball grinder stone to GENTLY ream out the inside edge on the female plug so the O ring will slip in easier. Just the first inside edge now to bevel it a tiny might..... I think this would help me but it would void little 2 year warranty.

Sandman, please seriously think about this and then think again. This is simply the last thing you want to do. For the guys not hitting the water, just pry out the o-ring and dont use it. The pain of assembly will turn into a nightmare of angst if you get the dremel involved. The connection is not that bad. Wiggle and Push, Wiggle and Push. That's all there is to it. O-rings are cheap.

OP
OP
Sandman

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

gleaner1 said:
Sandman said:

Sandman, please seriously think about this and then think again. This is simply the last thing you want to do. For the guys not hitting the water, just pry out the o-ring and don't use it. The pain of assembly will turn into a nightmare of angst if you get the dremel involved. The connection is not that bad. Wiggle and Push, Wiggle and Push. That's all there is to it. O-rings are cheap.
Jobs done and can change earphones quickly without any "Wiggle and Push, Wiggle and Push." Fingers aren't that small to grasp plug and this passes the water test too. AT PRO works like a charm in the water and I prefer the waterproof headphones and since I have equal hearing in both ears I don't need individual volume controls of the land phones..

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sandman said:
gleaner1 said:
Sandman said:

Sandman, please seriously think about this and then think again. This is simply the last thing you want to do. For the guys not hitting the water, just pry out the o-ring and don't use it. The pain of assembly will turn into a nightmare of angst if you get the dremel involved. The connection is not that bad. Wiggle and Push, Wiggle and Push. That's all there is to it. O-rings are cheap.
Jobs done and can change earphones quickly without any "Wiggle and Push, Wiggle and Push." Fingers aren't that small to grasp plug and this passes the water test too. AT PRO works like a charm in the water and I prefer the waterproof headphones and since I have equal hearing in both ears I don't need individual volume controls of the land phones..

If anyone can do it Sandman can...... :icon_thumright:

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other

Awesome Sandman. It seemed to be a bit of a risky procedure, you know, with a high-speed dremel, all the chips and dust and crap getting into the pin holes. I guess you masked those off first.
I cannot imagine how you pulled this off, keeping a good round hole with a smooth enough finish for the o-ring. I would like to try it myself perhaps.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other

Some fine pics of the dreaded connection. The coil is the same except four pins.

Attachments

• DSC06394.JPG
    DSC06394.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 622
  • DSC06395.JPG
    DSC06395.JPG
    101.6 KB · Views: 632
  • DSC06397.JPG
    DSC06397.JPG
    73 KB · Views: 624
  • DSC06399.JPG
    DSC06399.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 627
  • DSC06400.JPG
    DSC06400.JPG
    130.1 KB · Views: 620
  • DSC06407.JPG
    DSC06407.JPG
    102.9 KB · Views: 625
  • DSC06410.JPG
    DSC06410.JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 622
  • DSC06411.JPG
    DSC06411.JPG
    79.8 KB · Views: 621

Terrafisher

Nov 2, 2008
Spring, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ProPointer

Wish someone could find out where they get those connectors, or that Garrett would be kind enough to start offering them for sale to the public. :(

treasure diver

Mar 17, 2006
eastern KY.

My U/W headphones are to loud, so I went to Walmart in the ladies make up department & got some latex cosmetic sponges. They are just the right size to fit in the ear cups. They come in two thickness's, I got both so I could use which ever ones suited me. I now just use the U/W headphones all the time.

zincmaster

Mar 8, 2011
col. ohio
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter quick draw 2 and at pro

i dont even use the headphones, all the beeping gets me crazy lol, but just because you cant get your hp's plugged is not a reason to get all bent outta shape :wink: just take ur time and wiggle it just a little bit :laughing7: it'll go. but i will say they coulda made the plug simpler than it is.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread