My AT Pro seems a bit weak

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
When I first got it, it seemed great. I dug a few holes elbow deep! But for the last 3 weekends everything I find is only 4" or less underground. That's not what the depth indicator says -- it's hard to get it to read only 4". It regularly reads 6" to 10".

The usual scenario is thus: I get a solid signal. I pinpoint using pro mode -- I visually locate the first axis by the center line of the DD coil. I move 90 degrees and run the center of the coil along the 1st axis. This gives me a point. Then I re-do this paying strict attention to the depth meter. In this example it reads 8", except occasionally it will flick down to 6". I pull out my trusty Pro-pointer and can (MORE than 9 times out of 10) confirm the target location from the surface. By the speed of the pro-pointer's beep I can determine whether to just pop it out with the tip of my digger, or actually dig a plug. In the scenario above, the copper penny is laying flat at 2 1/2" deep.

It's actually a treat to find a target deeper than the pro-pointer can detect, but it's ALWAYs been over-sized trash for the last couple of weeks -- Like a soda can top (the whole top of the can) just out of reach of the pinpointer.

Air-testing a quarter is only consistent to 8". Other people have been getting 10-11". This is on MAX sensitivity.

By the way, I'm always running it on 8 bars sensitivity in Standard Mode. Sometimes I'll knock it down to 7 bars to cut down on chatter in Pro mode. And this is in Baltimore City with trash everywhere.

I've re-set it to factory settings, that doesn't change anything. It will just reliably pick up coins up to 3" deep, rarely 4". How about it? This can't be behaving properly, can it?

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
batcap I just tested mine, inside, sense at 8, pro mode, zero scrim, iron audio off, DD, getting good response on clad quarter up to 8" or 8.5". I can get it to sound off a bit choppy up to 9 or a bit more, but this is waving the coin very fast at dead center. This was all measured with wooden 12" ruler. I think this is about what should be expected.

Just tried a silver Roosevelt dime, same settings, good hit up to about 9" then it falls off. batcap try these experiments and see what happens........

Bearkat

Aug 12, 2007
Medford, Oregon
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Infinium LS/ Ace 250/ Scorpion Gold Stinger/AT Gold/AT Pro
Make sure you don't have it on manual ground balance and set at a high number. This effects depth greatly. Make sure it is on auto balance and balance it outside on the dirt and try your test again.

If falls...seems a bit week to me.

Alan

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As was said be sure and make sure it's ground balanced correctly before your test. Garrett is very good at helping customers. I would def give them a call if you have any concerns.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
At sense 8, I cannot believe anyone is getting ten or 11 inch air on a clad quarter with DD, surely not with a solid high pitch. If it chirps a bit 9 and up to maybe 11, it certainly is not a good solid high pitch response, far from it. On clad quarters if you get 8 or a bit more with a solid high pitch hit, you are in the zone. I get a good solid high pitch response on silver dimes, in air, at every bit of 9", which although not earth shattering, is at least very commendable. I have not tried silver quarters or anything bigger yet. John offers us very good data for air in a post not too far back. Try to duplicate his results and see what happens. Don't let air get you too worked up, it at best is only a fair indication of true performance in the ground, but having said that, every machine should perform very closely on air tests. If you run the coil over a dime or small cent 9" deep in the ground, not too masked by trash, you should be hearing it as good stuff and digging it. batcap, have you tried silver dimes in air yet? I bet it gets 9.

OP
OP
B

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
OK, sorry I took so long to get back to you all on this, and thanks for your help. . .

I went to 00 ground balance, 8 bars sens, Standard Mode (this is important because it takes interpretation out of the equation -- either it beeps or it doesn't). I'm getting about 11 1/2" on a clad quarter in the air -- up from the 8" in my original post - exclusively due to the high ground balance numbers. I virtually never see auto GB numbers under 80, usually mid to high 80's and occasionally breaking 90.

But this can't be why I'm not getting deep targets. I think it has something to do with GB or TID tho'. I've noticed I've been hitting a lot of TID of 00, and every time it does it seems to stay on the screen for about 4 seconds. Tonight I popped off the coil cover and found a bit of dust and dry grass in there. I swung it a after, but it was time to quit before I could really tell if it made a difference.

Even if I have to send it back (fingers still crossed against it), I'm confident Garrett will make it right.

dogpound

Sep 24, 2010
southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
give garrett a call and see what they say, i'm sure they'll take care of ya. when i had to send mine in for some issues it was a very fast return time(about 8 days)
good luck and hope its taken care of quickly

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
batcap I will try your settings just for the record. I think your results are normal, if not impressive. I cannot imagine that you would be missing any deeper coins, if in fact they are there, under you coil, waiting to be found. If gb is not perfect, maybe a bit off, it will not greatly affect your ability to pull a silver dime at 6 or 8 inches. Do not rely too much on TID, let the good solid high pitch audio tip you off. I have pulled a bunch of acid corroded wheats at 5 to 8 inches, they all sounded good, no TID needed.

OP
OP
B

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
I'm suffering some serious withdrawal symptoms here, and the USPS is playing tennis with my package.
Will I'll find it in my mailbox tomorrow with "Wrong Address" because I used "Repairs" instead of "Attn: Customer Service?"
That's $10.50 for Priority Mail.

Ship To:
Repairs
Garrett Metal Detectors
1881 W. State Street
Garland, TX 75042-6797
United States

Bullet Processed through Sort Facility, May 11, 2011, 1:24 am, BALTIMORE, MD 21233
Bullet Processed through Sort Facility, May 09, 2011, 5:30 pm, COPPELL, TX 75099
Bullet Processed through Sort Facility, May 08, 2011, 9:33 pm, COPPELL, TX 75099
Bullet Processed through Sort Facility, May 06, 2011, 7:35 pm, BALTIMORE, MD 21233
Bullet Electronic Shipping Info Received, May 06, 2011

OP
OP
B

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
It wasn't Garrett at all, just USPS playing volleyball with my package.

Bullet Delivered, May 13, 2011, 10:32 am, GARLAND, TX 75042
Bullet Arrival at Post Office, May 13, 2011, 7:33 am, GARLAND, TX 75040
Bullet Processed through Sort Facility, May 13, 2011, 3:37 am, COPPELL, TX 75099
Bullet Processed through Sort Facility, May 11, 2011, 1:24 am, BALTIMORE, MD 21233
Bullet Processed through Sort Facility, May 09, 2011, 5:30 pm, COPPELL, TX 75099
Bullet Processed through Sort Facility, May 08, 2011, 9:33 pm, COPPELL, TX 75099
Bullet Processed through Sort Facility, May 06, 2011, 7:35 pm, BALTIMORE, MD 21233
Bullet Electronic Shipping Info Received, May 06, 2011

This isn't the worst I've seen of "Priority Mail" . . .
I sent about $1050 in silver and gold scrap to ARA. It was processed through Baltimore and disappeared for 15 days -- no updates. Then it appeared in New York City - on an island. 4 days later it was in delivered to ARA, intact.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
That is why i always use .. UPS.. the little brown truck ... I have never had a problem with ..UPS ..

Slugrusher

Yeah. There is a reason the USPS runs in the billions in deficit. Good prices but inefficient service many times.

Our business in the beginning suffered some $3700.oo dollars in losses because of their faulty "Logistics". Ever
try to collect from them----IMPOSSIBLE. It becomes a write-off for taxes.

USE Brown or Fed X...perfect records for all shipping we have done.

OP
OP
B

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Slugrusher said:
Yeah. There is a reason the USPS runs in the billions in deficit. Good prices but inefficient service many times.

Our business in the beginning suffered some $3700.oo dollars in losses because of their faulty "Logistics". Ever
try to collect from them----IMPOSSIBLE. It becomes a write-off for taxes.

USE Brown or Fed X...perfect records for all shipping we have done.

Well the good news is that it was delivered back to me today. They replaced the coil and threw a Garrett digger in the box too. The bad news is I seem to have lost the mounting screws. I took it to Baltimore's best hardware store (Falkenhan's) and the clerk found the exact screws it needed and mounted it on the rod for me for less than $2. I took it out for a spin this evening and pulled one deep target. It seems to be OK.

I have another little shipment for ARA. I guess I'll get acquainted with UPS.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions