Thought I would have to send AT PRO back to Garrett again.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As we were cleaning a beach and swim area today for the county, I used my AT PRO because I thought with the better Iron info it would help us find more harmful metal objects to hurt swimmers when the parks open just before Memorial Day. We also remove all paper trash from the water so the guests don't see it.

Everything went fine for the first hour, then I changed modes again and all three PRO modes when screwy with a high pitched squeal even when coil held up in air. Shut it off and on again and same thing. Did a reset and that didn't help, but Standard mode worked fine. Shut it off and was ready to toss it over the drop-off while saying a few magic words which turned the air blue. I took a few steps and turned it on again and it worked fine in all six modes like it should.

I will not be able to use this for work for cleaning the beaches and will stick to one of the other of my detectors I am afraid. I also forgot to attach a tether cord to detector and belt so I had to hold on to it while I used the scoop.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Sandman said:
As we were cleaning a beach and swim area today for the county, I used my AT PRO because I thought with the better Iron info it would help us find more harmful metal objects to hurt swimmers when the parks open just before Memorial Day. We also remove all paper trash from the water so the guests don't see it.

Everything went fine for the first hour, then I changed modes again and all three PRO modes when screwy with a high pitched squeal even when coil held up in air. Shut it off and on again and same thing. Did a reset and that didn't help, but Standard mode worked fine. Shut it off and was ready to toss it over the drop-off while saying a few magic words which turned the air blue. I took a few steps and turned it on again and it worked fine in all six modes like it should.

I will not be able to use this for work for cleaning the beaches and will stick to one of the other of my detectors I am afraid. I also forgot to attach a tether cord to detector and belt so I had to hold on to it while I used the scoop.
Sandman this AT Pro is plagued with something .... But what i don't know.... Seems like you got a good one or you get one that has all kind of trouble....

OP
OP
Sandman

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keppy, I don't know what cause this but it was only on the PRO MODES so I don't think it was any electrical interference. At least I still have a great Excal, Tiger Shark, CZ-20, two 1280's and a PI for the water, but am to old to use the PI. I use the AT PRO again to see if I have to "deep six" it. I won't sell a POS to anyone else.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Sandman said:
Keppy, I don't know what cause this but it was only on the PRO MODES so I don't think it was any electrical interference. At least I still have a great Excal, Tiger Shark, CZ-20, two 1280's and a PI for the water, but am to old to use the PI. I use the AT PRO again to see if I have to "deep six" it. I won't sell a POS to anyone else.
Let me know what happens on your next trip out with the AT Pro............I know you get a detector that keeps acting up and then you are a little shy on selling it............ Then you get some one upset or mad as HE11 at you..........

underarock

Mar 27, 2011
Southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CZ-70
Primary Interest:
Other
Thats rough really sorry to hear about the AT. Seems like the electronics keep getting wet? Maybe something wrong with the outer case being breached slightly that they may be overlooking when sent back to the factory? If I were Garrett I would just send you a new one right now! Also have one of my employees ensure me that it is working perfectly before they send it to you.
I have an At pro but read a lot of your posts looking for those types of warning signs. I haven't gotten her wet yet and frankly after reading some of your posts… well lets just say i'm slightly gun-shy. :-\

OP
OP
Sandman

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
underarock said:
Thats rough really sorry to hear about the AT. Seems like the electronics keep getting wet? Maybe something wrong with the outer case being breached slightly that they may be overlooking when sent back to the factory? If I were Garrett I would just send you a new one right now! Also have one of my employees ensure me that it is working perfectly before they send it to you.
I have an At pro but read a lot of your posts looking for those types of warning signs. I haven't gotten her wet yet and frankly after reading some of your posts… well lets just say i'm slightly gun-shy. :-\

GARRETT sent me a brand new AT PRO which I am testing everyday. So far it is working great, almost to deep for removing harmful metal that could injure swimmers in our swim areas.

baylorhall

Nov 17, 2008
North Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman,

I am thinking about selling my ACE 150, using my ACE 250 as a backup and buying the AT Pro as my main machine. I want something for land and water, but can't afford much. Would you recommend it now that you got a new one?

OP
OP
Sandman

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Baylorhall I would recommend the AT PRO now since the troubles seem to be ironed out of the early ones. Mine runs like a top and I have had no further trouble with it. Garrett will stand behind their products if something goes wrong. :thumbsup:

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sandman said:
Baylorhall I would recommend the AT PRO now since the troubles seem to be ironed out of the early ones. Mine runs like a top and I have had no further trouble with it. Garrett will stand behind their products if something goes wrong. :thumbsup:

Maybe I've been a luck duck, knock on wood... I've got one of the early pre-Christmas AT-Pros, can't remember my serial #, but it's one of the ones considered "early" and troublesome. But mine has been rock solid, no falsing, no trouble with connectors. I can run mine on full sensitivity if I want. Wet salt sand, shallow water, dry, doesn't matter, it seems solid. Point being, these things are massed produced, there's going to be good and bad units out there. As long as Garrett stands behind them for the warranty period, there shouldn't be any concern about buying one. Jump on the bandwagon!!! No...wait... more AT-Pros means more competition... On second thought, you really don't want one, do you??? ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread