New background noise?

playdan1

May 18, 2011
Sandown, NH
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I have only had my 250 for 2 weeks and have used it 5 or 6 times anywhere from an 1 to 4 hours at a time and the last time I used it a steady tick tick tick(ing) noise comes from the headphones on very strong targets. It sounds like a metronome in the background of the tone. It doesn't seem to apply to any specific metal. I have dug iron, dimes, pennies, and foil with it faintly ticking like that. Then i'll move on and another target will show and sound strongly but the noise isn't there. When I dig it up, it's one of the above items. Does anyone have an idea of what it may be?

Thank you!

OP
OP
playdan1

playdan1

May 18, 2011
Sandown, NH
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Now that I think about it, I wonder if it's the sound of the actual scanning? Maybe most people don't hear that, but for some reason mine does? Oh yeah, it's only when pinpointing.

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
I'll just risk guessing, maybe electrical interference? Though maybe when the coil is over the target in pinpoint, it might be so strong that you hear detector circuitry on a very shallow or strong beep. Anyway I'm guessing that it is normal
and if anyone disagrees I could be wrong. Best wishes, George (MN)

jadeblackhawk

May 27, 2006
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
I've been thinking about this. (No ticking on my 250 when I used it today, btw.)

Is there a tower or some other sort of building with a blinking light on it nearby? Way back when, I used to have a CB, and the revolving safety lights on equipment near me would make the CB "tick." You would only notice the interference when the coil is putting out the continuous non-motion signal to pinpoint with... I don't know if I'm explaining my idea right, I'm not the most technical person, lol.

OP
OP
playdan1

playdan1

May 18, 2011
Sandown, NH
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
jadeblackhawk said:
I've been thinking about this. (No ticking on my 250 when I used it today, btw.)

Is there a tower or some other sort of building with a blinking light on it nearby? Way back when, I used to have a CB, and the revolving safety lights on equipment near me would make the CB "tick." You would only notice the interference when the coil is putting out the continuous non-motion signal to pinpoint with... I don't know if I'm explaining my idea right, I'm not the most technical person, lol.

The nearest one is a cell tower but it has to be at least 5 miles away. There are a lot of trees between the park and the tower. There isn't much around the park except telephone poles on the street. I did dig a signal and it led to pipes in the ground so maybe that's what it's from. I don't know what they carry nor am I about to find out! The issue isn't real bothersome, I was just curious if anyone else experienced it because the detector is new and i'm new to the hobby and don't know if the detector is faulty and needs a repair.

underarock

Mar 27, 2011
Southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CZ-70
Primary Interest:
Other
any ticking or rhythmic sounding like a metronome type interference in my short experience has been electrical. If there is any exposure in the headphone wiring you could be picking up interference as well.
Try using different headphones and note any difference. Unless it makes the noise with or without headphones. If it's none of the above but isn't affecting performance I would say leave it be. If it's driving you crazy though best to just have it serviced.
Hope that helps.

OP
OP
playdan1

playdan1

May 18, 2011
Sandown, NH
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Yeah it must be either EMI or an electric current from somewhere because I went to 2 other different places and didn't hear anything. Once in a while I could hear the steady ticking while pinpointing iron, but not nearly as loud as the spot where I heard it and brought up the topic here. Regardless, it was a hotspot and i'm going back!

Thanks all!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread