2 more questions about the 250

playdan1

May 18, 2011
Sandown, NH
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Is it common for the 250 to just beep randomly while sitting on the ground as you are trying to dig? I tend to keep my headphones on while digging every target and will place the machine down by my side. As I dig the target, the machine randomly beeps! After digging the target I will get up and scan a decent-sized area of the vicinity of where the coil was and won't find anything so I have no idea what was causing the beeps. They are loud and strong too. Maybe robotic bugs fly through the path of the coil's detection! :dontknow:

I was scanning and a target showed at 2" depth as a dime. The area I was in was coughing up coins left and right so I figured it was another dime and dug the plug 3", sifted, and nothing. Dug another 2", nothing. Scanned the dirt, nothing. Rescanned the hole, it still said 2" but started to flick between a dime and a penny. My depth readings have been 50/50 since I started 2 weeks ago so I figured it was just off again and kept digging. 10" later and the hole now a solid foot wide I rescanned the hole and i'm still getting a solid signal showing a dime at 2". When I lowered the coil into the hole the signal cut out. When I move away from the hole, the signal cuts out. That's why I kept digging it so wide in the first place, thinking the pinpointing was off. That's off a higher percentage of the time than my depth readings. I'm using the stock 6.5" x 9" coil. I adjusted the sensitivity down to half, supposedly still there!

Annoying to say the least...thanks all!

jadeblackhawk

May 27, 2006
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
Your signal is a massive piece of iron way down. I dig them all the time in farm fields, usually end up being plow tips, one time found the tongue off a wagon, etc.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with jade. Sounds like a big target deep fooling you. Raise you coil 6 inches off the ground. If it's still there it's a big target.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First clean out the coil cover of any dirt.

OP
OP
playdan1

playdan1

May 18, 2011
Sandown, NH
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Thank you for the replies. I will clean the cover and try above the hole about 6" and go back prepared to dig away. :icon_thumright:

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As far as your first question are you sure the machine isn't picking up your headphones? a ring you have on? rivets in your Levis or boots?

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
steel toed boots . metal buttons . ring on finger, change in pocket --metal digging tool --any metal upon you or used by you during the digging process?--- also tiny bits of rusted metal or mineral rich soil can cause "ghost ringing" (if your sensivity is set high)

OP
OP
playdan1

playdan1

May 18, 2011
Sandown, NH
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
calisdad said:
As far as your first question are you sure the machine isn't picking up your headphones? a ring you have on? rivets in your Levis or boots?

No, I leave my headphones on when I put the detector down to start to dig because they are too tight around my neck. And I point the detector away from myself and where i'm digging. I wear an old pair of sneakers, no rivets in them. The beeps are loud and random. It doesn't always beep like that when I put it down, only about half the time.

OP
OP
playdan1

playdan1

May 18, 2011
Sandown, NH
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
ivan salis said:
steel toed boots . metal buttons . ring on finger, change in pocket --metal digging tool --any metal upon you or used by you during the digging process?--- also tiny bits of rusted metal or mineral rich soil can cause "ghost ringing" (if your sensivity is set high)

I'll double-check the sensitivity the next time it happens. Unless the indicator flips around a lot, I tend to leave it at the factory pre-set.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
nearly by power lines? -- they too can cause issues again running at max sensitivity setting can cause the 250 to be hyper touchy --falses a lot due to being way way too sensitive.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
You got a lot of replys but you also know................ That it could be your detector is not working right............And will have to be sent in to Garrett to get checked out..........

OP
OP
playdan1

playdan1

May 18, 2011
Sandown, NH
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Keppy said:
You got a lot of replys but you also know................ That it could be your detector is not working right............And will have to be sent in to Garrett to get checked out..........

I know :sad10: Was hoping it wasn't. I'll procrastinate and give it a few more times out and hope it works itself out.

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
playdan1 said:
Keppy said:

I know :sad10: Was hoping it wasn't. I'll procrastinate and give it a few more times out and hope it works itself out.

Mine will do that when the battery indicator gets to about half. Sometimes pressing and holding the power button to reset the machine helps too. Good luck,

HH Charlie

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread