AT Pro at the beach

Lakemonster

Mar 20, 2011
Chandler Tx
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Garrett AT PRO, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I finally got a chance to get the AT PRO out at the beach.

For those wondering what to expect, heres what I found.

I took my AT to Galveston Sunday and worked it for about 4 hrs. I walked over to the wet sand and ground balanced and it settled on a soil rating of 13. It worked nicely, without chatter. Typically when you hit a target you get more VDI shift. When hitting a quarter it would blip back and forth between 83 and 90, whereas on dry land you get a more solid 85-86 reading.

Working in the water was a little problematic, when a wave rolls in it bumps the coil and sounds off with a foil (40-45) reading. You are OK if you recognize that this is what is causing the signal.

Not ever having a waterproof detector before.... it was nice to just be able to set the machine down and dig, letting the waves just roll on in and hit it, no worries.

I was actually really happy with how it did at the beach, I kinda figured it would have a tougher time.

underarock

Mar 27, 2011
Southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CZ-70
Primary Interest:
Other
i just got one yesterday… hearing you talk about just letting the waves crash on a 500+ metal detector still makes me cringe even though I know it's waterproof hehe. I'm sure I'll get over it soon.
I read the book pretty thorough and a lot of reviews about how it works on the surf. I figured It was just more annoying and reading like foil like you say, rather than not being able to use the detector on the beach at all the way other reviews have been. :icon_thumright:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beaches vary in the amount of black sand and even salt concentrations at the waterline and wet sand, so preformance will vary depending where your hunting.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since it is still a single frequency detector there will be beaches that it has a hard time working on, like sandman says every beach is different, and even the same beach has varying amounts of black sand in different areas that can affect it....... I met a gentleman while hunting Daytona Beach that hated his AT Pro, that could easily have been due to the black sand and salt minerals on that beach....

OP
OP
Lakemonster

Lakemonster

Mar 20, 2011
Chandler Tx
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Garrett AT PRO, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hear y'all on the black sand. I wish I had other beaches to hunt to get a better idea how it will do in more adverse conditions. Guess I'm just lucky to have hunt-able beaches for this machine.

i just got one yesterday… hearing you talk about just letting the waves crash on a 500+ metal detector still makes me cringe even though I know it's waterproof hehe.

You'll get over it soon enough.... Ive had my control box completely submerged under a few feet of water. My understanding is that the electronics are completely isolated from the battery compartment and the connections.... but I still make sure they are all tight and secure before going wet.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lakemonster said:
I hear y'all on the black sand. I wish I had other beaches to hunt to get a better idea how it will do in more adverse conditions. Guess I'm just lucky to have hunt-able beaches for this machine.

If you have beaches that have little or no black sand or iron and your detector is running smoothly just enjoy it, I wouldn't wish for beaches that are harder to hunt.... LOL

Kinda like wishing a hurricane would hit so I could see how good those wind rated 125mph shingles work on my roof after the hurricanes of 2004 hit.....lol I am more than happy to never have to test them out.....

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got one coming, can't wait to try it out. If it's stable here, I will sell my dual field. I know Willee said he had trouble at first, but after switching to pro mode it was stable in the surf.

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure_Hunter said:
Since it is still a single frequency detector there will be beaches that it has a hard time working on, like sandman says every beach is different, and even the same beach has varying amounts of black sand in different areas that can affect it....... I met a gentleman while hunting Daytona Beach that hated his AT Pro, that could easily have been due to the black sand and salt minerals on that beach....

How do you think it would do on the freshwater beaches here in MN?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WIT said:
Treasure_Hunter said:

How do you think it would do on the freshwater beaches here in MN?

It should have no problem on the freshwater beaches, and it works fine on many of the saltwater beaches, just depends on the minerals and blacksand at each beach... It isn't that it doesn't work on saltwater beaches, it is just that since it is a single frequency detector it will false a lot on beaches that have a lot of blacksand and or are heavy in minerals... PIs and multi frequency detectors work better on saltwater beaches, but PIs pick up everything, they have little to no descrimination and many beaches have lots of small pieces of iron........

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Ace 250, Garrett 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lakemonster, how far away is Chandler from Galveston???.I live in TC, which is right by the Island....If you are down there again soon, try the fort on the far East end, Have found a few cool items down there, mostly practice rounds...HH....Tom

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions