Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
playdan1 said:
If there is already a pinpointer on the machine? It is getting rave reviews, people swear by it, they say they don't know how they ever did without it, etc. I'm getting more and more tempted to buy one, but what about the one on the machine? Don't they do the same thing? Even though the one on the machine is kind of sketchy at times.

You sorta answered your own question.... "Even though the one on the machine is kind of sketchy at times."

A good pinpointer is just another tool to help you enjoy the hobby, it speeds up recovery time, which allows you to get to your next target allowing you to recover more targets over the course of the hunt and so enjoy the hunt more... Is a pinpointer absolutely necessary, no, is it a worth while tool, OH YES..... Is AC required on a car, no it will still run with out it, does it make the ride more enjoyable....Oh Yes...

I don't use the propointer, I use the DetectorPro Uniprobe, it will pinpoint up to 6 inches deep, has headphones that plug into my detector and allows me to switch between detector tones or pinpointer tones, it allows me to recover targets quickly and with almost no visible sign I was ever even there since I also use the E-Z-Dig-R recovery system.....

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Is a pinpointer absolutely necessary, no, is it a worth while tool, OH YES.....
[/quote]

What he said...
Not trying to be sarcastic, but if you enjoy fumbling around trying to locate a potentially valuable target in a dark hole, then no it isn't necessary. The purpose of the pinpointer is to help you quickly and carefully locate your target so you can recover it and move on. If you can pinpoint with the detector with such precision that the target is always in the middle of your plug, then you probably don't need one. If you find yourself even slightly missing the mark on the target location, and you find the target to the side of your hole sometimes, then the pinpointer is a worthwhile investment. It will help you find that target quickly and without damage from scraping your digging tool against it as you widen your hole. Believe me, once you have one, a good pinpointer will become something you will rely on as much as your digging tools.

Happpy Huntin...
Dwight

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It speeds up your recovery time. Instead of 10 targets in an hour you might get 15. That's 5 more chances at silver!!!!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stoopstroop said:
It speeds up your recovery time. Instead of 10 targets in an hour you might get 15. That's 5 more chances at silver!!!!

and GOLD! :icon_thumright:

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel naked without mine. Have gone back home (15 minutes away) and got mine before. It is just easier and faster to recover with it. now I leave it in a bag with extra battery and other stuff. Don,t leave home detecting without it.

Ed D.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Born2Dtect said:
I feel naked without mine. Have gone back home (15 minutes away) and got mine before. It is just easier and faster to recover with it. now I leave it in a bag with extra battery and other stuff. Don,t leave home detecting without it.

Ed D.

:icon_thumright:

worthy

Dec 19, 2010
Detector(s) used
garrett at pro , whites pi , garrett ace 250, c-scope ib
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
buy one and see -you will never go hunting without it once you use it!!

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, E-Trac, Makro Racer 2, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went 30 years wondering the same myself until I got the E-Trac and my eyesight isn't what it used to be. I found I was spending more time looking for my targets in the dirt and decided to try the Pro Pointer. Now I will always have one. Makes finding targets a simple process again, and pulling those very deep targets is much funner when you can pinpoint it exactly in the ground BEFORE you pull it out. Now you know just how deep the target really was.

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
No.......It's like owning a car. You don't need one, you can take a bus[size=10pt][size=14pt][/size][/size]

Lakemonster

Mar 20, 2011
Chandler Tx
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Garrett AT PRO, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One other good thing about using a pinpointer that I have found is that I am diggin much cleaner holes now.

Being able to locate the target in the hole keeps me from diggin larger holes or chiseling the hole

OP
OP
playdan1

playdan1

May 18, 2011
Sandown, NH
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I watched a video on youtube about detuning by crackbadger and need to try that for a while, but i'm also sold on the pro-pointer and will pick one up soon. Thank you all for the replies! :icon_thumright:

gmanlight

Jun 17, 2007
MA NH seacoast
Detector(s) used
what ever works
I got a Garrett when thy came out . A tecting bud with 25 years in the hobby
started to try mine here and there, then bought his own.
and now swears by it.
Hunting in some mud, in the dark or hunting shallow turf coins its a must for me.

underarock

Mar 27, 2011
Southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CZ-70
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes. yes it is. I think someone already mentioned 10 holes an hour becomes 15. For me 10 holes become 30 with the pro pointer. I don't think i'll ever be without one as long as i'm metal detecting.
Better than buying 3 other cheaper ones that don't work or break.

Tips for when you get one:
tape the speaker hole with reflective tape. Keeps dirt out/moisture out of the hole helps locate that thing in the dark easier. Learned that from tnet forum reading I can't take credit.

Wish garrett made a fully submersible one for underwater or land use. They could even call it the AT ProPointer and package with the AT Pro… I do not work for Garrett I swear. Wondering if they are hiring. :icon_profileright:

sandtrout

Jan 27, 2010
Oh Yeah!!! Looking back I wish I would have gotten at the same time I bought the detector!!! I use a checklist so I NEVER forget it!!! I'm getting a 2nd one....my wife helps me dig and I find targets faster than she can dig them so with two of them, I can help her with the digging.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
buying a pin pointer is one investment you will be glad you made.

long with a decent digging tool --yah its really in my book ---- "required' equiptment

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The detector may have a pinpointer, but its kind of awkward to use when you're on your knees and digging in a hole. I like the Propointer because its hand held and makes short work of recovery.

It let's me do more hunting an less digging and I'm all for that! :icon_thumleft:

It may be one of Garrett's best products ever. Now it they could just add once more inch of depth... :wink:

kwdstalker

Jun 11, 2008
edgar nebraska
Detector(s) used
garrett ultra gta 500 garrett 250 ace and gti2500
underarock said:
Yes. yes it is. I think someone already mentioned 10 holes an hour becomes 15. For me 10 holes become 30 with the pro pointer. I don't think i'll ever be without one as long as i'm metal detecting.

tape the speaker hole with reflective tape. Keeps dirt out/moisture out of the hole helps locate that thing in the dark easier. Learned that from tnet forum reading I can't take credit.

Wish garrett made a fully submersible one for underwater or land use. They could even call it the AT ProPointer and package with the AT Pro… I do not work for Garrett I swear. Wondering if they are hiring. :icon_profileright:
most of the time with it there are no holes i just use a screwdriver to pop it out of the ground.

underarock

Mar 27, 2011
Southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CZ-70
Primary Interest:
Other
kwdstalker said:
underarock said:

most of the time with it there are no holes i just use a screwdriver to pop it out of the ground.

forgot to mention that … you are absolutely right though. if its less than 4 inches i check the ground with the pp then use the screwdriver method too.

OP
OP
playdan1

playdan1

May 18, 2011
Sandown, NH
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I watched the vids on youtube and the Garrett site about the thing AGAIN and went out dt'ng a couple more times and during each and every hole I dug I wished more and more that I just had the thing already!! How much easier it could be and how much less disturbed the land would look if I had it, so it's been ordered and i'm just waiting patiently......... :blob10: getting antsy..............

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions