Settings advice needed for Grand Master Hunter CX3

Silver Striker

Aug 2, 2006
Melbourne, Florida
Ok, I've read the manual twice and have heard a couple of opinions on this subject, but I could use some more detailed info. On the CX3, how should I set my depth/sensitivity, frequency and surface elimination when hunting for gold on wet salt beach sand? Also, should I use beach mode or some other mode? According to the manual, beach mode is best for eliminating salt. It also says to stay in motion mode, which has automatic ground balancing, rather than trying to tweek the manual ground balancing in non-motion mode? Any advice would be appreciated. P.S. I don't mind digging up a few pulltabs, if it gives me a better shot at finding gold jewelry. Thanks, SS

Bebop

Jul 14, 2006
Thompson UT.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2100/Explorer XS/ Garrett GTI-1500/GTA-1000/Grand Master Hunyer III/White Goldmaster II
When I used my CX3 I would use a custom mode from 3 on up, like I would use on the GTA 1000 and GTI 1500. One dollar gold coins would run down by nickel and lower. I would dig every thing above 3. You should run in motion mode so your detector will runs smoother. Don't run in surface elimination that for trash area, I did not care for that much. Run the sensitivity as far up as you can until you get false signal, and then back off until you can live with it. You don't need to change the frequency unless you are getting static from another detector or a power Pole.

OP
OP
Silver Striker

Silver Striker

Aug 2, 2006
Melbourne, Florida
Thanks Bebop. Yeah, that's what I was thinking on the discrimination notches, to include everything from 3 and up. Gold has been ringing out in the 3 to 5 range on mine. Beach mode, however, starts at 4, so some gold could be missed in the factory-set beach mode, is my thinking. Should I adjust the factory setting on the beach mode or just use one of the user modes (a,b or c)? Does it make any difference? What is it about the beach mode that eliminates salt? Is it just the discrimination notch settings or is there something more to it? I was also thinking about the same as you said on the sensitivity. However, shouldn't the frequency be all the way up for gold? I read a few posts somewhere that said higher frequencies are better for hunting gold. I didn't understand your comments on surface elimination though. Can you please address that again, in more detail. I have mine currently set on 2+", but really have no idea what the best setting is for wet salt beach sand or if that's even a factor when choosing a surface elimination setting. Thanks for your reply, SS

Bebop

Jul 14, 2006
Thompson UT.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2100/Explorer XS/ Garrett GTI-1500/GTA-1000/Grand Master Hunyer III/White Goldmaster II
Go to user mode A or B or C and make a custom mode from 3 on up. Don't adjust the Beach mode factory setting. Leave the frequency in it factory setting, I don't think it will make any difference. Live the surface elimination in it factory setting, it is for hunting it trash area so you can eliminate trash on the surface and adjust it to a few inches down, but when you do that you eliminate coins to. They might be using the 4 notch to eliminate salt, but you can miss some small gold. On my GTI 1500 it has a salt elimination but I don't use it because it decreases the depth. When you get into a area that gives you false signal then decreases your sensitivity.

OP
OP
Silver Striker

Silver Striker

Aug 2, 2006
Melbourne, Florida
Thanks Bebop. Where there's a will, there's a way. I'm probably taking it out today, on it's maiden journey, so I'll let you know how everything went. I may just start out in the dry sand, at first though. Especially since it's been raining and the dry sand might be wetted down with rain water for me. The best of both worlds, is what I'm thinking. Less salt, but more compact sand. SS

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread