Used My AT Pro for the 1st time today!!

ATPRoDon

Nov 26, 2007
Griffin, GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf PI, Whites V3i, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay so I finally got my new AT Pro out and went to a baseball field next to a school that I had worked before with my X-70. I Auto ground balanced at around 40/42. I ran in Pro mode with the zero setting and sensitivity down two bars from the right.

Since I am in the learning mode for this MD I just took my time for an hour trying to listen and look at what it was trying to tell me. The first thing I hit was a dime with a penny right on top of each other about 4 inches down (don't remember the ID reading). Then I hit a nickle reading 50/52 right at the surface. Then a quarter 6 inches down on its edge reading 80/82, all of it was clad. There were quite a few low sounds reading 40/42 but I pretty much figured they were pull tabs, should I have dug them all? Would gold rings read that low?

I am still trying to learn the sounds and how they go with the ID numbers. Has anybody out there made a chart?

AtProDon :thumbsup:

dale68

Jan 12, 2009
the numbers above iron up to nickel(including nickel) is where quite a few womens gold ,white gold,and small platinum rings register unfortunately small foil also is there. If it sounds good from 2 directions I dig em.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
I'll never forget my first hunt with my pro, it was about 25 degrees (f) with a brisk wind, I froze my butt off for about half hour, but it was sunny and I could see grass. I posted the finds not long ago here on this site. I will never be the same.

Lakemonster

Mar 20, 2011
Chandler Tx
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Garrett AT PRO, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
the lower 40's readings tend to be ketchup packs...

Pull tabs usually ring up as 55-60

Nickels are usually 50-52

Dimes: 80-82

Quarters: 85ish

Pennies: the new ones are blipish... between 75-79. Old ones are usually 80

Silver halves: 92

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive found gold rings from .7 grams to 6 grams. They read from 42 to 63. the bigger the ring the higher the number. I found a 5 gram 14k cross that read 42. Rings read higher than other gold items of the same size. The smallest gold I found was a .4 gram 10k earring that read 38.

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
I have an 8g white gold herringbone necklace that is nearly invisible in Pro coin mode, and completely invisible in Std coin mode. I think there's a reason the 35-40 iron range is left open; gold can hit that low. The chain hit mostly in foil with a little in the hi iron range.

Unrelated: Betty Ford just died - 93yo.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
batcap said:
I have an 8g white gold herringbone necklace that is nearly invisible in Pro coin mode, and completely invisible in Std coin mode. I think there's a reason the 35-40 iron range is left open; gold can hit that low. The chain hit mostly in foil with a little in the hi iron range.

Unrelated: Betty Ford just died - 93yo.
I dig everything above 35 to keep from missing any gold. I found a 14k thin chain that read 40. I haven't found any white gold, but thought it might read in the 30's. Thanks for the info.

SpringTxDigger

Dec 28, 2008
Katy Tx
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I first got mine I dug Everything. I wanted to learn what it was telling me. There were some id's that I thought about not digging. One was a man gold ring and another was a Boy Scout scarf thing. I would advise you dig it all for a while. Then you can make a better judgement on what to dig and not dig. Good luck and have Fun!

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SpringTxDigger said:
When I first got mine I dug Everything. I wanted to learn what it was telling me. There were some id's that I thought about not digging. One was a man gold ring and another was a Boy Scout scarf thing. I would advise you dig it all for a while. Then you can make a better judgement on what to dig and not dig. Good luck and have Fun!
That's good advice, the only way to learn your machine is to dig it all.

rob.s

May 31, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
lookindown said:
SpringTxDigger said:
That's good advice, the only way to learn your machine is to dig it all.

x2

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread