GTP 1350 - Is there really a chip upgrade?

mudfoot

May 8, 2010
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350, Tesoro Vaquero, Silver uMax, Compadre
I called Garrett to ask about a mineral chip upgrade to my GTP 1350. Supposedly the newer 1350s can handle mineralization better due to an improved chip or something. I wanted to determine if mine had this new chip or not.

After taking my information she called back an hour later and said there is no upgrade available for the 1350. When I asked to speak to a technician she insisted that she was one.

Can someone please enlighten me? Is there an upgrade? Whom should I contact at Garrett?

Thanks in advance.

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
There was a new chip introduced in the GTI & GTP models some 5 years ago. For a fee, you could send the machine in to have the new chip inserted. Perhaps they are not doing the upgrades any more. The chip only helped in high mineralized soil. If you have fairly stable soil, it will make no difference.

OP
OP
M

mudfoot

May 8, 2010
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Thanks, John. That's what I had read and since I'm in Idaho I thought the new chip might be worthwhile. Heck my machine may even have it already but it'd be nice to know.

The whole phone exchange had the feel of an offsite call center type of setup. The woman I spoke to just didn't seem very knowledgeable and twice asked if I wanted an ATP upgrade. :dontknow:

Guess I'll try once more via email before I give up.

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
mudfoot said:
Thanks, John. That's what I had read and since I'm in Idaho I thought the new chip might be worthwhile. Heck my machine may even have it already but it'd be nice to know.

The whole phone exchange had the feel of an offsite call center type of setup. The woman I spoke to just didn't seem very knowledgeable and twice asked if I wanted an ATP upgrade. :dontknow:

Guess I'll try once more via email before I give up.

Phone Garrett and ask for Sue. She should be able to tell you if you have the new chip or not by your serial number. 1 800 527 4011

Good luck!

OP
OP
M

mudfoot

May 8, 2010
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Finally got off my rear today and called Garrett. I spoke to Brad (Sue was at lunch) who was very helpful & informative.

It turns out my 1350 already has the upgraded mineral chip. Yay!
Mine was a trade-in so I was never sure how old it was; turns out it was made in May 08.

Brad said they still do the chip upgrades for about $50 (plus shipping & stuff I assume). On the really old 1350s, made around 98 or 99, he said a new circuit board might be required which is in the $100+ range.

Thanks for that phone number, John. My 1st call was to the direct number in Tx and that was a bust.

Happy huntin' everyone.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread