Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't need to tell anybody how hot its been out there.

I was out with my other detector this morning and digging a ton of pull tabs and the heat was just miserable, even though I was dressed as light as I could.

Suddenly I realized I wasn't having fun anymore. This was turning into a chore. So I decided to forget jewelry hunting until the weather turned cooler and just focus on coin shooting. So I cranked my discrimination up to "pull tabs" knowing I would be knocking out nickels too, but what the heck. So I'll just focus on zine pennies and dimes and quarters. Well, I was still digging a TON of pull tabs. Guess the Compadre just loves them.

So I drove over to my local detector store and we talked.

I was looking for a coin shooting detector that was light weight, relatively inexpensive, and one that featured notching discrimination. Even though I don't like TID screens as a rule, if I wanted notching, it was going to sort of require one. We looked at a few, and I ended up walking out with a Ace 250 with the sport package, that includes the larger 9x12 coil.

I know a lot of people have owned and used the Ace 250 and I've looked at a lot of the posts, positive and negative. I mounted the 6x9 coil to start with and I know there are pinpointing issues with it, but I have a Pro Pointer too until I learn it better.

I am looking forward to putting in some time with detector and seeing what it is like. I'll probably post a review of it after I put in 100 hours or so. Anything short of that I don't think will allow for an honest review.

I'm aware of the fact that just because the 250 has coins only mode, I'm still going to be digging junk and pull tabs. What I'm really interested to see is if running in coins mode I dig more coins than junk. Time and experience will be the only way to gauge that.

I still love my Compadre and it's still my "go to" machine for jewelry, but during these hot summer months, when I'm just in the mood for some coin shooting, I hope the Ace 250 will fill the bill. Based on the posts I've seen so far, I probably won't be disappointed. :icon_thumleft:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You wont be disappointed, your about to have some fun.

sandtrout

Jan 27, 2010
I think you'll like it....it's pretty basic for $212. I started with the ACE 250 to find out if I'd like the hobby or not. Tons of junk and some surprise rings...well...to be honest....all my jewelry finds have been a SURPRISE. If I'm full of energy, I use the JEWELRY mode and dig everything. As the day wears on I might make some adjustments like switching to the COIN mode or notching out the nickel (while in the coin mode) and also if you count the black blocks/segments from left to right, there are 12....so I'll notch out all except 9, 10, 11, and 12 (my "cherry picking" mode) and hunt on top for pocket spills or recent coins. I usually leave this setting in my CUSTOM mode. Other times I'll make adjustments in whatever mode I'm in for on the spot changes....it all goes back to default (except CUSTOM mode) when you turn it off anyway. The ACE covers 70% of my MD'ing and the Vaquero (ahem....paid for by the ACE 250!) does the other 30% when I feel like DIGGING!

On some detectors, the more you discriminate, the depth you lose. One the ACE you lose a bit of depth but the loss doesn't increase anymore even if you notch out more blocks. In one park because of the nosy people, I notched out everything (and it was too hot to wear headphones) and found 1 junk necklace, 1 junk toe ring, and $1.85 in clad silver in 3 hours just by looking at the screen.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread