Garrett Sea Hunter MkII Metal Detector (any good)

tincansam

Jun 7, 2011
TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it is an awesome machine , you will also need a good beach scoop if you plan on hunting beach and shallow water. it is a tuff

machine, well built, you have to have buy dielectric silicone compound to put around the rubber seal for the battery compartment

which is cheap. you won't be disapointed with the seahunter II. read up on the tech stuff about it. but if you are looking for a

machine in that price range for what you have in mind the seahunter will do well for you. look into the AT PRO as well don't

know what kind of hunting you plan on doing but i also recomend the AT PRO as well. Garrett customer service is 2nd to none

also. HH let us know how you do :icon_pirat:

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hay john, how is the seahunter for volume? I have worked on aircraft all my life and my hearing isn't what is use to be and to make matters worse we have to wear a 1/4 neoprene hood when diving. I was looking at the JW Fisher's unit because it has a meter I can watch rather then relying on the audio alone. Do you think that the volume is load enough for an old diver like me?

ZDD

tincansam

Jun 7, 2011
TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Zodiacdiverdave said:
Hay john, how is the seahunter for volume? I have worked on aircraft all my life and my hearing isn't what is use to be and to make matters worse we have to wear a 1/4 neoprene hood when diving. I was looking at the JW Fisher's unit because it has a meter I can watch rather then relying on the audio alone. Do you think that the volume is load enough for an old diver like me?

ZDD

mines reel loud, it definiatly lets you know when you've found something, im considering selling mine i bought it in april this year , im havin too much fun with my AT PRO and i need money right now. let me know if interested i can send pics

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am a diver also and found the volume fine with a hood. I wasted one hood by cutting small holes for the sound to get through and didn't think about the cold water in the ears.

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman said:
I am a diver also and found the volume fine with a hood. I wasted one hood by cutting small holes for the sound to get through and didn't think about the cold water in the ears.
Yea you definitely wouldn't want to do that in our waters up here, you get some serious brain freeze.
ZDD

relicswinger

Jun 19, 2008
To answer your question about depth, etc; it has good depth. I have found a rake (garden rake in the bay???) at 18 inches. It is hard to dig wide enough to get 18 inches deep! The discrimination is basic but functional. Take some bad targets with you and adjust the discrimination to exclude them per instructions. I have had nothing but good to say about the Sea Hunter. It is a great value for the money. If money is no object, get the Infinium Land & Sea. I agree, it is quite loud...

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since it's also relevent I'll add this question, what sort of depth increase can one expect with the 10 X 14 coil over stock ? I would think an inch or two would be a realistic assumption.

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
metal mania said:
Ive got my sights set on this detector I would respect your thoughts on it depth discrimation etc

The Sea Hunter has been manufactured by Garrett for years and it's still the detector of choice for Mel Fisher's exploration team. It is solidly built and yes, it is loud.

As for discrimination, forget it. No PI detector offers discrimination. None. They cannot. I do not know why Garrett insists on making such an assertion. It is my one criticism of an otherwise classic PI detector.

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
Greece, French Riviera, Switzerland, North Italy
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi guys,

I ill use this detector shortly for deep wrecks reaserch and would like to know if there is something I have to know regarding any cautions / waterproofing issues ?

Thanks for you inputs

FM

Sandytoes

Apr 15, 2016
Maine
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm debating between a Garrett Seahunter Mark II and an AT Pro. I spend most of my time at salt water beaches knee deep at most. I'd love to hear your opinions.....on the 2 machines.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AT Pro stinks in salt water, it is really a land machine you can use in the rain and creeks, ponds, etc. Some say they do all right on wet sand beaches but most don't, and immersed in salt water they don't do well. They will work but no depth. If you're gonna go into salt water get the Sea Hunter or Infinium, or a Whites Dual field, of course the Minelab Excaliber rules the salt because it has good depth and can really discriminate, but they are pricey. I think the Sea Hunter probably gives the most bang for the buck in the briny.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread