AT PRO and rings.

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
John-Edmonton, I hope you can provide some guidance here because you are the Ring Master with this machine.
I have been detecting some ball fields and soccer fields since I got my AT Pro a few months ago but have yet to turn up and gold or silver rings.
A read on another thread that someone picked up a ring and the numbers were in the 50s, I hope I am not disregarding the bling-bling thinking that they are bottle caps or something trashy.
Hope someone can shed some light here for us new AT Pro users, Thanks.
ZDD

candig

Oct 8, 2007
North Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold rings and pull tabs can come in any where between 50 to high 60s. In order to get the gold, you have to dig them all. Unfortunately there are a whole lot more pull tabs than rings out there.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold rings come in mid 40s to mid 60s, with most in the 50s. Silver rings, low 80s and up. Gold items like charms, earrings and chains can come up as low as the high 30s. I found a 5 gram 14k gold cross that read 42. 1 gram hoop earings read 38 to 42. These are just general guide lines, because many factors can change id numbers, such as soil condition, etc.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since gold jewelry is alloyed with many metals it can come in almost anywhere with the numbers. Some even under 40 and a lot depends on its orientation in the ground too or how close it is to Iron. Silver comes in mostly higher in the coin range and can hardly be missed.

Lakemonster

Mar 20, 2011
Chandler Tx
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Garrett AT PRO, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hit a ring Saturday ... with the AT. It was a lightweight 14k that rang up 52.

I make myself dig all the signals near the nickel range (49-53).

Ive air tested several of my wifes rings and my wedding ring. None of them are heavy... and they all ring up between 48 and 53.

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Rings can show up just about anywhere, depending on their conductivity. Stainless steel rings are in the iron range which we usually disc out. Silver rings tend to read in the 80s. Gold can read in the penny area, especially if it is in the lower karat range and also what is amalgamated with the gold, like 10K. But, a lot of the higher karat reads in the lower 50s or even in the 40s, depending in its size. Rings often read in the same range as those pesky pop can pull tabs or beaver tail pull tabs. however, gold rings usually give a smoother audio, and often have none of those squelch sounds that the pull tabs give off.

Please try and pick sports fields which are part of a school, as they tend to get used daily, compared to some sports fields, which only get used on weekends. I have pulled out some nice gold and silver rings from elementary schools. Gold is gold, no matter what size it is. Most people don't hunt elementary schools, but they do have some nice coins and jewellery waiting to get picked up.

Good luck! Just keep plugging away (pun intended)!

wwace

Jan 4, 2006
Anchorage AK
Detector(s) used
Exterra 70, Etrac, AT Pro
Good advice by the members, dig everything with a medium tone or you will miss gold.

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
In my opinion, the AT Pro loves to find the silver. Within the last couple of weeks or so, I've gotten two silver rings and two silver dimes. To me, when it hit those targets, there was something about the signal that screamed SILVER.

Regarding gold, you have got to dig the tabs to find it. This goes for ANY detector....

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dwight S said:
In my opinion, the AT Pro loves to find the silver. Within the last couple of weeks or so, I've gotten two silver rings and two silver dimes. To me, when it hit those targets, there was something about the signal that screamed SILVER.

Regarding gold, you have got to dig the tabs to find it. This goes for ANY detector....
Yeah, when the AT pro first came out some people were saying its high frequency wouldnt be good for silver. Ive found silver coins and jewelery including rings, chains, earrings, mercs, etc. and it hits hard and deep on them.

OP
OP
Zodiacdiverdave

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to everyone for their great advice. I took a 10K wide band ring, a 14K thin ring, a 14K thin gold chain and a 22K gold coin out in my back yard and spent some time watching the display on the AT Pro and the numbers were between 48 and 65 depending on the item but what I noticed is that the numbers were fairly solid, only bouncing 3-10 digits on the scale where a bottle cap or pull tab usually (but not always) were all over the scale.
I hope with my new found knowledge I will now go out and find that gold in the field.
ZDD

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great advice on this thread. I learned allot. John is fo sho the one to ask! lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread