AT Pro and gold

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First let me say I am sorry for posting so many questions on TN but I am new to MDing and I figure that TN is the best source of info out there.
Has anyone tried an AT Pro on old tailing's? I know of an area that was mined for gold in the 1800s and there are tailing piles all around the site.
Just wondering if I would be waisting my time searching them with an ATP for gold traces.
ZDD

Lakemonster

Mar 20, 2011
Chandler Tx
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Garrett AT PRO, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have air tested some 2mm (approx) jewelers investment casting slag beads with the stock DD coil. If you run it in zero mode they start sounding off at around 2 1/2"

I dont think that the larger DD coil would work too well for it. However.... I wonder what would happen if you used the sniper coil? I wish I had one to tell you what results I got with it in comparison.

As I stated in a previous post.... I wish the ATP had adjustable threshold. That would be a huge help picking out tiny targets. I guess you could hold the Pinpoint button in the whole time...lol.

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Zodiacdiverdave said:
First let me say I am sorry for posting so many questions on TN but I am new to MDing and I figure that TN is the best source of info out there.
Has anyone tried an AT Pro on old tailing's? I know of an area that was mined for gold in the 1800s and there are tailing piles all around the site.
Just wondering if I would be waisting my time searching them with an ATP for gold traces.
ZDD

Nope, not a waste of time. You may not find pin-head sized nuggets unless they are close to the coil, but it's not a waste of time.
If you're looking to buy a detector and gold is what you're after, then consider the AT Gold. It'll be a little better for the small stuff and will still be a good detector for relics and coins. It's not recommended for salt water use, the AT Pro can be used in the salt water.

Read this, one user in the Searcher who found gold with the AT Pro, another fousd gold with his Ace 350:
http://www.garrett.com/hobbysite/pd...500053_fall2011_searcher_lowres.pdf

Also, read the review from Lost Treasure magazine, reviewer found gold.
http://www.losttreasure.com/content/archives/metal-detector-field-test-review-garrett-pro

Hope this helps....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread