AT Gold problems

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
I got an AT Gold a couple weeks ago and am still learning it but was wondering if other have had these problems 1. The threshold is chattery unless you turn the sensitivity way down. 2. the threshold will sometimes disappear for no appearent reason and return after a few seconds or so. 3. In moderate soil the Discriminate modes don't seem to penetrate well. I dug a .69 mini about an inch deep. It picked up ok in All meal but the machine wouldn't pick it up at all in Disc. 1. I was also wondering if anyone has used one in highly minerlized soil. I'm not very happy with this machine and have been wondering if something is wrong with it.
One good thing I can say about it is it does pick up small brass and lead items fairly deep.

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
If your threshold is too chattery, turn it down or turn it off. You shouldn't have to turn the sensitivity down unless you are hunting in mineralized soil. The AT Gold should ground balance nicely for you....in fact, it has a range you can set it up for to compensate for changing patterns of mineralizations. using the 5" x 8" DD coil will even help you more in mineralized soils. The only place it will probably chatter is salted sand and salt water. The manual even states that the AT Gold was not designed to work in such environments.

Review these videos to see if they might help. if you still think your machine is at fault, call Garrett. 1 800 527 4011 and ask for Sue. She is a very knowledgeable about Garrett detectors, as she is also a user!

Good luck! :)

http://www.garrett.com/hobbysite/hbby_at_gold_threshold_searchmodes_video.aspx
http://www.garrett.com/hobbysite/hbby_at_gold_controls_settings_video.aspx

Attachments

• GROUND BALANCE WINDOW (2).jpg
    GROUND BALANCE WINDOW (2).jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 620
OP
OP
vayank54

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
Thanks for the info. I have turned the threshold down and really don't want to have to turn it off. One of the reasons I picked the gold was because it has a threshold. I personally don't like silent search machines even though I have owned some. I've talked to a couple people at Garrett and no one seemed to know. I'm hunting in VA no saltwater here but very hot soil. i thought at first it might be the soil or hot rock making my threshold disappear but after checking quite a few times I'm sure it is neither. Thanks again

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like there's some problem because this is the first Garrett I've tried in a long time that I might consider buying. I totally agree with you that a threshold is essential and a big plus of the detector enabling tiny nuggets and deep targets to be heard that would not have enough bulk to break into the audible range of a silent search machine.

Could be that the pre amp gain has been boosted to counteract the loss of depth that tends to occur with higher frequency detectors which would add to any noise problem but if your ground is not that hot the discrimination performance is pretty poor. Yet you also say you can pick up small brass and lead at reasonable depths which could mean operator error in some way.

The trouble with being in early with any detector is you can't walk down the street and find someone with the same model to compare with.

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Do you have the iron descriminate on to any level? I would assume no, but if you do and your detector detects iron or a really hot spot, the threshold may drop out.
Also as I'm sure you know, if you descriminate, you loose depth. I'd recommend hunting in all metal and dig it all. In hot dirt such as Northern VA, the dirt will play havoc with target ID at moderate depth and down; what may sound like iron may be something good.

Good luck with it, I'd love to give the Gold a go in that hot whed dut of Culpeper this weekend.... ;D

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
John-Edmonton said:
If your threshold is too chattery, turn it down or turn it off. You shouldn't have to turn the sensitivity down unless you are hunting in mineralized soil. The AT Gold should ground balance nicely for you....in fact, it has a range you can set it up for to compensate for changing patterns of mineralizations. using the 5" x 8" DD coil will even help you more in mineralized soils. The only place it will probably chatter is salted sand and salt water. The manual even states that the AT Gold was not designed to work in such environments.

Review these videos to see if they might help. if you still think your machine is at fault, call Garrett. 1 800 527 4011 and ask for Sue. She is a very knowledgeable about Garrett detectors, as she is also a user!

Good luck! :)

http://www.garrett.com/hobbysite/hbby_at_gold_threshold_searchmodes_video.aspx
http://www.garrett.com/hobbysite/hbby_at_gold_controls_settings_video.aspx

Great info here!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread