Ace 250 in a stream or lake??

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250
Probably a stupid question but I have a stream and lake near me that is very shallow. I could probably walk across the stream or lake and not get my knees wet. Anyway, I was wondering if I could use the 250 in the lake or stream? I know I will get a boatload :) of hooks and weights and stuff but just wanted to see what I did come up with. The coil is supposedly waterproof but don;t want to risk it unles I know other have done this. Naturally the display unit is not but again, would not be going too deep.

Anybody use the Ace 250 in a stream?

Thanks,

Funkman

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
u will be fine as long as you dont get the yellow "brain" housing wet. the coil and coil wire are water proof.

Blackjack77

Jun 16, 2006
Minnesota
Haven't done it Myself, but Others have mentioned to let the water drain from the shank or disassemble when done.The elecronic box as stated before is NOT watertight!!
HH

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Correct Blackjack. You can use the ACE 250 in a lake or stream so long as the control box doesn't get wet. HOWEVER, Never raise the coil higher or level with the control box as water in the stem will float the box and fry the guts. Not a good thing.

Have fun and don't drop it.

Sandman

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to agree, you can use the ACE in the water, just as
long as you don't get the housing wet. But any water hunter
will tell you, if you bend over to scoop the item out of the water,
nine times out of 10 the box will come in contact with the water.

My thoughts are, if you have a great land detector like the ACE, why
would you want to take the chance in getting it wet. Buy a water
detector, there are a lot of great ones on e-bay or at your local dealer
that are great for hunting in the water.

If you do hunt in the water with this machine, please be very carefull
when you bend down to retrieve an item. You might want to buy a
water detecting pouch for any items you recover, even the junk.
I use one that is like a see through one.

HH< ringfinder (ACE 250 owner), in fact have another one for a back up!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ringfinder, your correct with the use of a total water machine. Some land machine can be hip mounted and worn while wading and this works out great, till you fall or step in some fool's hole.

I'd also get rid of the see through pouch or sew a vinyl cover on the outside so water can still drain and hide the goodies from prying eyes. You show what you got and you can lose it. LOL

HH,
Sandman

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ace 250 in a stream or lake?? Phooey!

The others are right. As ugly as it may sound, keep it out of the water. Oh,you can stand on dry land and dunk the coil at the waters edge, if you want. The coil is water tight. However, the stem and control housing are not.

About here, most people will say, " But Ill be REAAAL careful." ;)

Okay, then let me ask you: Have you, or someone you know, ever been in a car accident? Chances are, no-one involved left home that day intending to have their car wrecked. But in the immortal words of the Prophet: Doo-doo (ca-ca, mierda, merde, scheisse, etc.) happens.

Either waterproof it, get a waterproof unit or take your chances. I learned this the hard way - dont follow my bad example.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread