garrett coils

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Both the mono coil and "DD" coil should give you excellent results in salt water. I have the large 10" x 14" DD, the 10" x 14" mono and the 8" mono. I actually preferred the 10" x 14" mono in the water, as it is much lighter then the 10" x 14" DD yet gets excellent depth and easier to pinpoint then the 8" mono. Also, it's a little more forgiving on those tiny bits of iron "BB" sized rusted pieces of junk in that it doesn't bang as hard on them as the 8" coil. Now if you are hunting a trashier area, the 8" mono might be the better choice, but as you are an experienced PI user, you know the amount of junk you will dig up. I also tip my hat to you, as many of the PI users get some of the nicest gold, missed by other single and multiple frequency machines. Let me know if I can be of any more help to you.......

http://www.garrett.com/hobbysite/hbby_infinium_searchcoils.aspx

Attachments

• mono.jpg
    mono.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 529
  • mono.jpg
    mono.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 527

relicswinger

Jun 19, 2008
I have the same detector that you have. I have a mono and a DD coil. I like the DD coil better overall. Pinpointing is as simple as placing the center of the coil (as best as you can since it is underwater) over the target and pull it back until the signal starts to fade, the target is under the front edge of the DD coil. It has a smaller search field (defined by the center overlapped coils) so you will get fewer mixed signals...

DaChief

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
-------(Water)------- Garrett Infinium (Relic and Coin) Minelab Sov. Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also have both DD and Mono. The answer is that they are both the best. It depends on the hunting conditions and location as to which I choose to use.

I tend to use DD coil on the Infinium in most salt water locations but I have kicked butt with the 8 inch mono also. I will use the smaller 8 inch mono at trashier beaches and the larger DD coil in locations like Clearwater beach where I tend not to hit lots of trash in the water.

If you get a chance to read this article it will help to understand it better than I can say. It is multiple pages.

http://metaldetectingworld.com/metal_detector_search_coils.shtml

The DD coil shoots a broad signal toe to heel of the coil but a thin width which is not much wider than the center of the Ds where they come together. The mono shoots a cone shaped signal which starts as a broad signal the same size of the entire coil at the surface and demishes into a pinpoint at an eventual depth depending on the circumference of the coil itself depending on the pattern of winding of the coil.

Typically I use the rule of space vs. junk. The more trash, the more I am apt to use the mono but expect to cover less ground. The larger the area, the more I tend to use the DD. I have to make the decision based on which I believe is inhibiting my ability find targets. Large open trash free area = DD. Moderate to Heavy trash = Mono for me.

Good Luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread