Sounds and Garrett machines

AlabamaClay

Dec 27, 2004
I have hunted with a GTI 2500 for a few years now. Because I mainly look for coins, I use it almost exclusively in coin/jewelry mode with the bell tone. I love it when I hear that tone on both ways of a swing. I've found good stuff (a few silver coins, rings, and a gold necklace) and I don't dig up a whole lot of trash. I'm not into relics so I don't dig too much outside of the coin size range on the target size imaging. That said, I feel that I may be missing some good stuff and have some questions about sounds:

(1) I hear some talk about hearing "whisper" sounds of deep objects. With Garrett's audio boost, is this a factor in the GTI 2500?
(2) Without the bell tone setting, can you hear the difference in tones between good and bad targets?
(3) Without the imaging feature on an older machine, I was digging up aluminum cans thinking they were quarters. How do you tell the difference without imaging?
(4) How can I use the all metal mode to find more coins without digging everything?
(5) Any other advice?

Thanks in advance.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Come on John, you know the answers.

Most of these questions can be answer with each detector has a different way to respond to the targets. With out the boost you can hear the deep whisper sounds as a small response. But this could also be a tiny target. The meters don't register accurately nor will the target imagining the deeper the target is.

The 2500 does not give different tones for the id of targets, but with practice you get fairly accurate id'ing targets. Comes down to learning you detector. The newer detectorist are spoiled and want the detectors meter to correctly id everything under the coil. Ain't possible no matter who the manufacturer is.

As for finding alum cans and telling the differences without imaging you mainly learn to tell the way the sound comes thru to you in the earphones. Earphone are the only way to go with Garretts and most detectors because of the speakers. Some can trace the size of the target in all metal in pinpoint mode.

How do you use All Metal to find coins without digging anything? Since all metal will respond to every metal at deeper depths, you just take your chances. There is no magic bullet.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread