ace 250 sniper coil

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Main benefit, you can detect between trash easier. If you have a good target located between two trashy targets, with a standard coil you may not detect the good target because of the trash being picked up by the larger diameter coil. With the small sniper coil the small diameter allows you get in and around trash to find the good targets. Think of it like painting. You can paint really broad areas with a roller, but to paint the small areas, you need a small brush.

The down side to the sniper coil is you don't get as much depth compared to the larger coils.

sandtrout

Jan 27, 2010
I heard all the "hype" about the sniper coil and got one for my ACE 250 but never used it. I was getting ready to sell it...the regular coil was working just fine for me. Then, about a year after I purchased it, I hit a park just off the beach and my regular coil went crazy...I couldn't isolate just one target very easily so in desperation I put on the sniper coil.....everything settled down and I was able to hit the individual targets. The problem was, they were so close to each other. Found around $3 in clad and 2 rings (both cheapies) but I won't be selling it! It bailed me out of a tough situation.

Now as for depth...my regular coil will pick up coins at 8" or 9" but the sniper only goes about 7" on dimes so it does lose some depth...but since most of my coins are at around 6" at parks, it does just fine. Now quarters hit hard at 7" but dimes and pre-clad pennies get a bit scratchy but still hit on both back and forth swings of the coil...and my coil is ON the ground. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
lost crow

lost crow

Jan 26, 2011
Texas
Thanks for the info Dwight, Sandtrout. I'm trying to talk myself into buying one. Maybe I will tell my wife it's guaranteed to find more rings.

kleinerschmitter

Aug 21, 2010
Birmingham, AL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Excalibur II, Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
Dang sandtrout, seems like some pretty good depths. I guess my Ace with the regular coil will pull coins at the depth in clean areas but add some trash and I greatly lose depth.

They are both right, the sniper coil will really help you out in those trashy areas. You will lost depth but at the same time you'll be hitting targets that the bigger coil won't even pick up without removing the trash first. My grandma's house is a prime example. There's an older house that used to be on her property that was torn down and as a result of that there are tons of nails in the ground. My Ace 250 with the stock coil would hit signals few and far between when I had the iron discriminated out but with the sniper coil I could hit many more targets.

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
The Sniper Coil Will:

-Get excellent separation
-Hunt right along chain link fences where good targets exist from jackets being tossed there
-Hunt extremely close to playground equipment where other larger coils can't
-Find very tiny pieces of metal
-The preferred coil for nugget hunting in creeks
-Faster swing speed
-No pinpointing really needed

CHECK OUT THE DEPTH THAT THE SNIPER COIL GETS IN AN AIR TEST COMPARED WITH OTHER COILS....NOT BAD :thumbsup:

Attachments

• SNIPER DEPTH.jpg
    SNIPER DEPTH.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 2,307

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread