Its Laundry Time Again.......Coin Laundry That Is (rant!)

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
It's Laundry Time Again.......Coin Laundry That Is (rant!)

It happens every year....we get hundreds, if not thousands of coins each year. Well, sooner or later, they have to be washed. Sooner is better, otherwise you may one day come to realize that the last several years worth of coins = 50,000 coins, a large task at that.

rocktumbler.jpg

I managed to find a double barreled rock tumbler cheap at a garage sale many years ago, so that's what I use.I did 7 x 2 = 14 loads before I finished. I quit using gravel, soap etc for my coins. Just plain water for the pennies and a shot of vinegar with the water for the rest and the coins act as their own abrasions. Just tumble for a couple of hours, rinse well and dry on a towel. DONE!

Of course if you are of the mechanical type, you could build a tumbler machine as shown below by clicking on the link.

Or build some coin furniture. :sign13:

Attachments

• sofa_madeof_coins_04.jpg
    sofa_madeof_coins_04.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 798

rob.s

May 31, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: It's Laundry Time Again.......Coin Laundry That Is (rant!)

I need to invest in a tumbler and remember vinegar as a cleaner.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Why not just take them to a Coin Star machine at a supermart?

bartholomewroberts

Feb 23, 2011
Cedar, B.C.
Detector(s) used
excal2, XP Deus, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sandman.

We do not have coinstar machines up here... Wish that we did.. I would help us a great deal.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yeah, sorry about that. At least you've got Loonies and Toonies. Many here don't wanna carry dollar coins which is a shame.

Attachments

• Loonie & Toonie.jpg
    Loonie & Toonie.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 421

Lakemonster

Mar 20, 2011
Chandler Tx
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Garrett AT PRO, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I have to tumble mine before I run em through the Coinstar machines...otherwise I get too many of them kicked back into the return slot.

OP
OP
John-Edmonton

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro

Sandman said:
Why not just take them to a Coin Star machine at a supermart?

I want it all....I worked hard to get them! :thumbsup:

bartholomewroberts

Feb 23, 2011
Cedar, B.C.
Detector(s) used
excal2, XP Deus, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sandman said:
Yeah, sorry about that. At least you've got Loonies and Toonies. Many here don't wanna carry dollar coins which is a shame.

They do add up when you are out detecting. It does not take many for a day to add up to double figures in the dollar amount.

Another good thing... The loons and twoons are attracted to a magnet... so when I toss a magnet in a lake, those two coins, as well as the dimes, nickels and quarters are attracted.. I have done VERY, VERY well with a magnet at a lake.... best day was over $200.00 in spendable cash

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread